Used 2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

Used Focus for Sale
Select your model:
12345...22

Pros
Cons

Don't Be Fooled--It's JUNK

D. Liebling, 04/21/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

No matter what propaganda you may hear about the dual-clutch automatic, STAY AWAY. My 2014 started to exhibit intermittent, severe chatter/shudder/slip/gran/noise shortly after I bought it. Pulling out from a stop is problematic to the point of being unsafe, as you never know what the trans will do. Dealer applied several software updates over the next 18 months. Ford Customer Service indicated they would pursue the issue until I was satisfied. Didn't happen. As the miles and months and repair attempts accrued, dealer and Ford interest waned. One day, Ford CS simply announced, "Dealer says car is normal... There will be no further repair attempts nor trade/buyback assistance. "Coincidentally", this happened as the car was about to become eligible for Lemon law arbitration. Neither Ford nor the dealer have acted in good faith re this vehicle. Ford has finally acknowledged the DCT is a failed design--They are eliminating in the near future. That might help future customers but leaves the tens of thousands of us with the current model with a vehicle that is undriveable and unsellable and has a horribly suppressed blue-book value. Ford has not acted honorably nor professionally in this matter... Don't expect them to do any better when you have problems in the future... BUY SOME OTHER MAKE VEHICLE. AVOID FORD

STAY AWAY from the FOCUS

bigrob10, 05/15/2015
Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Where do I start? I purchased a 2014 Focus, Have had it for over a year, and is falling apart. First the clutch was replaced, because it was "Jumping" and "Stalling" then 2 months later back to same problems. Now in addition to that the Tranny is over heating" light is going on as well as Brake Bulb and Tire lights are going off. Contact Ford and they say it will be 8 weeks before they can even look at my since they have so many other owners with the same problem. My Focus jumped forward in traffic out of no where and almost caused a serious accident on the freeway. Ford 100% knows about all these issues with the Focus but they do not care about anyone's safety they just give the run around

Is it time for a class-action lawsuit

R Green, 01/20/2016
Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

3500 miles on my 2014 Focus and the transmission failed. Not only did it fail, but failed dangerously in freeway traffic. This resulted in sudden unwanted accelerations and decelerations; almost like I had no control of the car. This is ridiculous!

Watch out for DCT auto transmissions

Unhappy Ford owner, 10/06/2015
Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Had a 2014 Ford focus se hatchback with DCT auto transmission. This is a great vehicle other than the transmission. Transmission would at slow speeds hesitate, shudder, jerk back and forth, go in and out of gear, and had metal sounds ( like silverware clanging) coming from under car. When I would take off from a stop you never knew if you were going to go or shake and shudder for 2 to 4 seconds sometimes more and then go. Sometimes it felt it would stall but never did. When I bought this car it did none of this at first and it started to do this after 5 to 7 thousand miles and progressively got worse. Had it in shop at Ford to fix and it was much worse after reprogram. Talked to Ford about it again and was told that the shuddering could never be totally fixed and would always be there due to nature of transmission. I told them I had looked on the internet and saw that this was a common problem and that it doesn't seemed to be able to be fixed by Ford and that I wasn't happy about this. At this point they tried to get me into another Ford vehicle but did not give me a good trade in value for my 1 year old vehicle (I wonder why???). It was the one chance the Ford dealer had at keeping me and they screwed up so I traded my vehicle in somewhere else. All the money I've spent on service visits repairs and new tires (4 sets) over the years on other fords I guess didn't mean much. I am now giving my business to a company that has very good reliability ratings for their vehicles so hopefully I don't run into this again. If looking at this vehicle for your next car do your homework first. Traded focus in for honda civic and have had zero problems.

FORD'S REVENGE ON AMERICA

HARRY BERGER, 09/16/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 73 yrs I thought I would treat myself to my first new car ever. Bearing in mind we were a ford family since 1947 and I drove a 2004 mercury marquis for 11 yrs it was reasonable to think buying a new ford from wayne akers ford in lake worth florida was the right thing. I bought a new focus and after 10 days and the trans locking up 4 times in 400 miles I returned to the dealership to uplift this deal. They pleaded with me to take another new 2014 ford focus same model same deal same price after 4-5 hours of fighting with them they convinced me to take another . I went along with their offer ..... But when I was presented with a bill for around 2400.00 I insisted they call me a cab . As I refused either to take mycar back and or accept their offer of "Even exchange" with a diff of 2400. They reduced it to 1200....No thank you then 600 . After 6 hours of fighting I agreed to 400. The next morning I woke up and checked the "Very same car" not to be so they substituted a much cheaper model over a 1000.00 cheaper I drove to the dealership and they refused to acknowledge this.. (oops I am a retired mechanic had my own shop) so off to small claims court their attorney claimed they made a mistake and pleaded with me to accept 1500.00 so they did not want to go in front of the judge. I lost 325.00 on the filing fees. The new focus was better the transmission did not lock up but jerked hesitated late and early changes car jerked violently when I went to the dealer a good few times their standard response "We could not duplicate problem" eventually the loud banging the dealer could not deny they replaced the trans. As for the very very poor gas mileage 16-18 mpg they told me they checked and I was getting 29.5 mpg I decided to make a pictural history everytime I filled up 3/4 tank 1/2 ank 1/4 tank and the comp proved that I was getting barely 17/19 at best I advised the dealer that the violent jerking was affecting my spinal surgery which the neuro surgery determined I was permanently disabled . After 2 yrs of very bad service horrible horrible car . I traded it in for a 2013 ford fusion landed costing me over 21000.00 for a car that should be crushed recalled ford screwed up 2013/4 ford focus and costs americans millions of dollars in fords screw up possibly worse than the ford pinto or the edsel UPDATE AFTER PAYING 400.00 (WHY FOR AN EVEN EXCHANGE ) I RECEIVED A NEW EVEN EXCHANGE ONLY TO WAKE UP THE NEXT MORNING TO FIND IT WAS A STRIPPED DOWN MODEL. I RETURNED TO WAYNE AKERS WHO DENIED THEY HAD GIVEN ME A CHEAPER MODEL RESULTING IN ME TAKING THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT WHERE I WON MY CASE THEY EVENTUALLY REFUNDED ME 1500 I LOST THE 400.00 AND THE FILING FEES THIS NEW FORD FOCUS REQUIRED A NEW TRANSMISSION AFTER A FEW THOUSAND MILES THE GAS MILEAGE WAS AROUND 15/6 MPG I ASKED THE WAYNE AKERS SERVICE DEPT ABOUT THIS DESCREPENCY RE GAS MILEAGE AND WAS TOLD IT WAS THE EPA THAT STATED THE GAS MILEAGE TO BE 20/24 NOT FORD . AFTER MY FOURTH VISIT TO THE SERVICE DEPT I WAS DESPERATE TO GET RID OF THIS PIECE OF JUNK I TRADED IT IN ON A USED "FORD CERTIFIED" FORD FUSION WITH 28,000 MILES THAT SHOWED FORD HAD INSTALLED A NEW ENGINE AT 5000 MILES I LOST A FURTHER BUNCH OF MONEY AND PAID ANOTHER 5000 .00 (I BELIEVE ) TO BUY AN OLDER CAR THE LOSSES WERE MOUNTING REAL FAST NOW AFTER 8000 MILES ON THE FORD FUSION THE TRANSMISSION KICKS DOWN HARD I TOOK IT BACK IN MARCH 2020 AND WAYNE AKERS REFUSED TO TOOK A LOOK TELLING ME THAT THEIR WORKSHOPS WERE SO SNOWED DOWN WITH TRANSMISSION WORK "COME BACK IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS AS A RETIRED MOTOR MECHANIC I AM AMAZED AT THE SUBSTANDARD VEHICLES FORD MOTOR CORP IS PUTTING OUT SHAME ON THEM

"I thought I was going to die driving this car"

Cindy, 07/16/2015
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always purchased Ford products in the past but, I am really re-thinking did I get a lemon with this 2014 this Ford Focus You should feel safe when you drive a new car not worried about it bogging down on the road. I have taken my new car in twice now, once the dealership replace the clutch and now they replace the transmission modules. The dealership told me right off the bat there is backlog of cars waiting for a new clutches again. I drive on the highway and was horrified when I tried to get car to speed up so a semi-truck could get off the ramp and my car acted liked the transmission stuck in gear. I am scared to take my grandkids in my car just in case the transmission locks up and caused a wreck that could hurt them. If Ford can fix the problems in a timely manor either by putting another transmission in or they should have to buy the cars back from the customers for want they paid for them. Buyer beware please do research before you buy this type of car for your own safety.

First New Car (Nightmare)

justingreer, 04/01/2014
Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The car ended up being traded in and I hadto threaten to sue Ford to receive any compensation. The car ended up falling under one of the articles of the Ohio Lemon law. In total the car was at the shop over 12 times in one year. The car stalled 3 times while driving and one of the times was caused an small accident (the other cars). The car sat in my driveway for 4 months since Ford refused to acknowledge anything was wrong with it. It was not safe to drive. When I say "Ford", I mean FORD and not the dealer (multiplier case managers and even an Engineer). The dealer was great (or as great as they could be). Ford gave the dealer a hard time with paying for warranty work that the dealer recommended. If it was not the wiring harness, it as the fuel pump, ECU, ECM, Shift Controller, o2 sensors (replaced both 6 times) and everything else. My lawyer cost me 2K and ended up finding a dealer out of state that would trade the car. I ended up going eating about 4K but the car is now gone and I could not be happier. Never again will I buy a brand new car. BUT when the car ran, it was great. So if you are willing to deal with the headache and feel lucky, go it! If it works out for you then awesome. If not, you will feel sick daily knowing that you have a 20K lawn ornament.

My second Focus with a bad transmission

Holly, 01/03/2016
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After two trips to the shop in under 30k miles, I thought my 2012 Ford Focus was a lemon so I traded it in and Holy Cow...my 2014 does exactly the same thing. The transmission shakes and jerks so badly that it scares my passengers. I feel like such a schmuck for buying this car twice , but I can't believe Ford gets away with this!!!

1st FORD and NEVER again!

Jenni, 04/22/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission issues just like everyone else! Mine has been replaced 3x and updated 4x... all under 25k miles. It takes a few thousand miles to act up again but it will! If I shifted a manual car the way this car shifts, I should never drive a manual. I just don't feel safe in this car, at times it has a delay in reacting to the acceleration. Other times I can feel a drag in the take off. I currently have a file open with the BBB to get this car bought back or at the very least allow me to pick an other car on the Dealership lot and lets trade keys! Ford offered me 1 month of my car payment. I DO NOT want money.. I just want out of my car! I have a pending appointment with Arbitration on May 6th and I am also taking the car back to dealership to have transmission tested again on April 30th!

One Huge Problem

Gilbert G., 12/31/2015
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just have one complaint about this vehicle, but that one complaint makes this vehicle extremely unreliable. The vehicle's transmission has flaws that cannot be fixed by Ford. I have taken my vehicle into the dealership for transmission problems a total of 4 times. Every time it has been at the dealership ive been without a car for a week or more at a time. The vehicle makes grinding noises, shutters, slips gears, and transmission overheats. Everything else could be ignored except for the transmission overheating. It's gotten so bad, that when stuck in traffic the vehicle instructs you, through the small screen in between the gauges to pull over. When the transmission starts to overheat, you can really feel the vehicle shake and pull hard. Its gotten so bad to the point that I was almost stranded on the freeway at almost midnight, in some of the worse traffic I have ever been in. I had to pull over 3 times and after the second time I had to call into work because I did not think I was going to make it out of the freeway without being towed by AAA. I know this vehicle cannot be fixed no matter how many times its taken into the dealership, and even though my warranty was extended to 100,000 miles I know problems will continue.

12345...22