Used 2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

Used Focus for Sale
Select your model:
12345...43

Pros
Cons

Bad transmissions - Ford will not fix the problem

Leslie, 12/22/2015
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Please take time to Google the transmission problems Ford has caused with the Focuses and Fiestas. I have a 2014 Focus, and had to have my transmission repaired after owning the car for just a few months. The car lurches forward on its own, stalls when you're trying to accelerate, and is generally dangerous to drive. Ford switched to "automatic dual clutch" transmissions in these cars, saying they help with fuel economy. They are dangerous. I've been calling my dealership for four months since the problems came back, and every time I call they say that Ford won't send them the parts to repair these transmissions. Ford is choosing not to fix this. Buyer beware. Update: Happy to have sold this car and moved on.

Unforeseen Transmission Problems

C Alan, 07/24/2015
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't like the transmission in my new 2014 Ford Focus the first time I test drove the car. I was told by my Ford dealer that it was a new system that would "adjust to my driving." It was fine for the first 7,500 miles but soon after it started to shutter, rumble, and vibrate at stops and jump while going into second gear. I haven't noticed any problems on the highway but in reading the other reviews, I'm scared. I just brought car in to the dealership where I bought it and they didn't appear to be upfront about the problems. When I badgered them, they told me the transmission was on an extended warranty and they have heard about the Focus's transmission problems. When I asked about a technical service bulletin regarding the transmission, they were once again quiet. They called me to say they weren't "experiencing anything too bad" and they would see if it met "Ford's specifications." I don't care if the car meets Ford's specifications or not. I am upset. I bought a new car and I expected it to work with a fully functional transmission and the dealership can tell me all day that there's nothing they can do because the car meets Ford's specifications. I'm not going to stop until I have a car that works like it should. If I could got back in time 11 months and tell myself to buy a Honda Fit, I would.

Second Guessing My Purchase

Fran C., 04/17/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is about the transmission shuddering issue. Otherwise beside the interior not having a lot of storage space I really love my car. I bought my car last May and have not even reached 10k. After a few months I noticed this noise the car was making. Clunking/Clicking when Driving/Acceleration. I brought it to the dealer I got it from and had to wait 3 days for them to test drive to verify my claims. It took a few days to fix and all seemed well until this morning when I thought I heard the noise start up again. Not bad but enough to make me worry. I am due for my 10k service so I will talk to them about it. I heard through websites and other sources these cars are noted for transmission issues. I will update this post if anything changes. If you are having the same problem do not wait, bring it in and have them fix it. Transmissions are $$$$$$$$ !!

lemon lemon lemon

mavoiture2014, 05/03/2015
Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Transmission is terrible! It hesitates, jerks, jumps, shudders and is unsafe. I bought this car brand new and the issues are becoming increasingly worse. I have had it in for repairs and the service center assured that it only needed "reset". It operated slightly better for two weeks. Then warning lights appeared stating that the transmission was too hot. So there I was with a brand new car and left stranded in a traffic jam. I purchased this car to alleviate stress of car problems and for the safety ratings. I made a terrible choice.

Shuttering Take Offs

Penny Boyles, 06/05/2016
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 76 year old mom bought her a Ford Focus brand new. The road noise was terrible - to the point you couldn't hear the person sitting next to you talk. Cresent Ford in High Point NC kept saying there was nothing wrong. I went to the dealership with her and after much conversation and driving the model above - Ford Focus Hatchback - she decided to trade. She got an extended warranty to cover the car during the entire loan. Now this car is doing the same thing and more. The road noise has increased - similar to the previous Focus. In addition, the car has a shuttering when you excel from a stop. We took it back and after several months waiting on a part - the dealership fixed the problem (so they said). It has only been a couple of months and the shuttering has started AGAIN!!!! I'm going back with her again. They are going to fix this car or give her one that doesn't do it. Dealership wouldn't make it right. They said it was "normal" and was not anything that needed repair. If that was the case, why did they try to fix something that wasn't broke? We was able to work with another Dealership - Modern Nissan - in a trade. She now drives a Toyota Camry and is thrilled to be rid of her Ford headache

12345...43