Used 2014 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

Used Focus for Sale
Select your model:
12345...43

Pros
Cons

transmission issues that they will not fix

eileen, 01/04/2016
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2014 Ford Focus has major transmission issues-"shudders' to the point of stalling. No one will fix it.

Ford Focus & Fiesta - JUST SAY NO!

a76austin@gmail.com, 10/13/2015
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Update to original review: car has now had transmission pulled twice, with clutches replaced both times, and more than 3 more visits to reprogram transmission, essentially not fixing the issues on any visit. The A/C quit working at 60,000 miles, right past the warranty period, and now having numerous electronic issues from the radio to the windows at 70,000 miles. Original review: First, I purchased the 2013 Ford Fiesta (Brand new). Went in for transmission repairs FIVE times. (Lurching, jerking, hesitation, failure to switch gears, and finally stalling out). The dealership kept telling me it was fixed each time. They gave me the run around until I was worried my warranty would run out before they actually got the problem fixed. So thinking I got a lemon, I traded it in for a new 2014 Ford Focus. This one is even worse. Same exact transmission problems. Shutters terribly when trying to switch gears, will stall out trying to upshift, and then suddenly LURCH forward with the RPM's going to 6,000 almost 7,000. Power will stall out when merging onto the highway. Has nearly caused numerous accidents. Not only are these cars poor quality, they are very dangerous and hazardous to drive. When the light turns green, and your car stops mid-intersection with oncoming traffic, and then suddenly lurches forward at top speed, thats a problem. I am currently waiting on my second repair for my Focus, and have been told by the dealership that the clutches for the transmissions are on 8-12 week backorder. Not sure if this transmission will even last that long. The car has 31,000 miles, issues started at 15,000. Have spoken with the class action attorney in California, and a lemon law attorney here in N.C. My advice if you get/have one of these cars, KEEP and collect ALL your repair records. The lemon law attorney here told me that Ford has been VERY slow, much more slow than other manufacturers to even respond to their lemon law complaints, because of the sheer number of them coming in. So in my opinion, stay away from Ford all together. I know I will from now on.

Repeat Buyer Disappointment!!

D M Warden, 02/05/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd purchase of a new Ford Focus. The first was a 2011 which I loved. Great mileage, handled well and reasonably priced. I traded in the 2011 for a 2014. Initially I felt once again I'd purchased a reliable mid-size sedan which handled well, had great mileage, was comfortable, roomy and in my opinion a classy looking car. Approximately 17,000 miles in I started having acceleration issues. The car would jerk and was slow to get up to speed when accelerating. I had a scary situation when I was going up a ramp in a parking garage and it felt like the car was going to lose power and roll backwards. The sputtering and jerking usually starts after driving the car for a while. I've had the car inspected by a Ford Dealer and was told I needed the clutch assembly replaced. That was over a month ago. I contacted the dealer today and was told that clutch assembly parts have been ordered for many customers and none of the parts have been delivered by Ford. With all the complaints I don't understand why it's taking so long for the parts to be delivered. I have no choice but to drive my car everyday but I have to say the complaints I've read make me very leery. I'm also disappointed in the customer service and customer outreach due to I was never contacted by Ford or received any notification regarding the transmission issues. It was only after I heard about a report on my local news and I started doing some investigation on my own. When I purchased my 2nd Ford I could see myself being a Ford customer for many years to come; now I'm not so sure.

2 transmissions in one month

Yolando, 07/30/2016
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus from Sunrise Ford in North Hollywood on February 20th, 2016. In April, the transmission light and a message gave me 5 minutes to pull over. The message read that the car was overheating. Transmission message appeared. I was traveling up a hill off Laurel Canyon. You could hear the gears every time you drove up a hill. I was in bumper to bumper traffic. The car was also rolling backwards. I know how that feels because I know how to drive a stick. It was a very hot day. Which is a trigger for the transmission. We took the car back to Sunrise. First, we were told that it was a computer chip malfunction. A module message. They said don't worry about it. It's a common message. Then we were given an appointment to replace the clutch and seals. The appointment was so far out because they were backed up due to so many appointments to repair transmissions. We dropped the car off on June 14. They had the car for 4 days. While they had the car we ask them to fix the windshield wipers and the speaker panel. We notice that in the early part of July the dashboard was malfunctioning. I have photos. The gas hand wouldn't move and the gas numbers, mileage numbers, degrees, and radio stations were jumping all over the place. The AC stop working properly. A few days ago we were approached by Sunrise to buy back our car. He said that the car had built up equity. My husband asked him how is that possible because it hasn't been 6 months yet. They offer us a lower payment and interest. My husband said no because it's a buy back scam buy Ford. Last night the car started to jerk, it wouldn't get out of first gear. We got the car home. It wouldn't start nor reverse. We had to push the car into our parking spot. The transmission service light is on. The car was making a rumbling sounds even though it was turned off. We picked up the car on after they replaced the transmission again. Guess what? The Gear is locked. I found out from an auto fraud attorney that the Sunrise is suppose to disclose to customers the issues with the transmission. I was told by a lemon law attorney and the fraud attorney that the car will never run correctly. When we dropped our car off the second time for service we came across frustrated owners dropping off their car for repairs.

AVOID FORD FOCUS

Harry Jenkins, 12/10/2015
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2014 Ford Focus it is in the garage for the third time for transmission problems. Ford built it knowing they had bad transmissions. Auto-nation Bradenton Fl sold it to me knowing there was problems. The salesmen sold it to me knowing it had problems. Ford the dealer and salesman all lied to me and are immoral,unethical. Ford had to buy back my car. Thank God very unhappy with car.

12345...43