2013 Ford Fiesta Consumer Review: NEVER AGAIN FORD- I repeat nev

2013 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Review

Titanium Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

NEVER AGAIN FORD- I repeat never again.
By musicmitch on

2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The front has a fully independent suspension, but rear has only a cheap beam in the back. And the rear bottoms out on bumps. So if you sit in the back, and you have a bad back, knee, neck, anything - don't.

Engine has no torque from A standstill when flooring the accelerator, almost had two accidents because I could not move quick enough out of the way of oncoming vehicles.

The gas economy is not 29/39 as I was told at the auto show and at the dealership and on the window sticker. . My trip computer at 15,841 miles, says only 17mpg,
city and 26 on the highway. The only way this car could have ever gotten the epa estimated 29/39 is, in my opinion, with an anorexic, midget, driver and the only thing in the rest of the car including the trunk was a toothpick. lol. The dealer and Ford have no answer for this low fuel economy. I would have never bought this car If I knew the truth.

Now, I am updating this review. At 30,000 the fuel economy never got any better. For a car this small and light, it should have no trouble making those estimates. But it does not. I think someone is overestimating the EPA for this car - and all Fords as: focus and fusion. Because i've driven those cars as rentals everytime my car had to go into the shop and stay overnight. And the fuel economy on them was below average. The ride was good and both of those cars are sturdier than the Fiesta, but it's going to cost you in more frequent fill ups.

The transmission was rebuilt after only 12,000 miles. The grinding noise continues which is the result of duel clutches.

Updating this: The transmission had to rebuilt twice and it still has problems. The transmission on this car (and the Ford Focus shares the same transmission - what they call a 6 speed manual/automatic with an automatic clutch) that was never perfected and was defective from birth. Ford knows this. I'm sure they read consumer reports April auto issue too. And they should have recalled all of these cars and installed a new/different transmission (like the one in the fusion that has no problems), and put them in all the new models coming out too. But alas they did none of that. But in all fairness, they did send me a notice saying that because the transmission has problems, they are extending the warranty for some components on the transmission. - whup te do. They are not the ones spending all the time at the dealership getting this thing fixed.

Now note: at 25,000 miles the car developed a leak in the trunk which ruined the whole car. The water ruined the trunk and the resulting mold and mildew stunk up the rest of the car. At first the dealer could not find the leak - so they said. I had to get Ford to intervene and finally they repaired the trunk. But causing great loss of time in using the car and problems when using it as: have to leave the doors and window open for 1/2 hour before using it to dissipate some of the smell.

The engine warning light keeps coming on for no apparent reason. And with all due respect this car, in my opinion, (and i've tested most subcompacts) probably has the best engine in it's class of a subcompact in terms of power (once in motion), and quietness.

The ambient lighting option in these cars, in my opinion are not worth it. You can't really see anything that would justify spending that money for the option. No one notices them. It's insignificant in my opinion. And adds nothing to the car.

Now, I am updating this on 1/23/17 and my opinion has not changed. It's a lemon. I think one of the problems for this vehicle is where it was assembled. It was not assembled in Michigan where it's cousin the Ford Focus was assembled, which by the way, shares a lot of the same parts as: exactly the same transmission," and etc. Instead this was assembled overseas in a country known for nice people but poor auto assembly quality. My friend has the 2015 Focus for a year and much less problems. Although FORD admits that it has the same transmission as the Fiesta. So that is the trouble spot. Though the Focus does show problems on consumer reports, but nowhere near the headache that this one is. And it still kills me that the gas mileage is so low on this small, lightweight car. It's worse than some larger cars with bigger engines. If you plan on buying any Fords, please google reviews for gas mileage complaints first, if that matters to you among other things.
Ford knows how much trouble this car is but they never recalled all of them to change the transmission by putting in a totally new one. . They keep putting in the same defective part if it breaks down that will break down again, over and over. In my opinion, they should have cancelled production of this car and redesigned it with a new transmission. They never did this. If I were you I would steer clear of this car all model years for the Ford Fiesta. Look at it's competitors for better built vehicles like the Honda Fit or Toytoa Yaris 1A (different from toyota yaris)

• Acceleration
  • Bluetooth
  • Navigation
  • Fuel economy
  • Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review