Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Almost to 400k
By David Rheman

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've been driving this little truck for 15 years, and it just keeps on running. I've kept up with the maintenance, and it has it's quirks, but at 394,000 miles, it's still extremely dependable. It's my daily driver for my 35 mile commute. It's let me down once or twice in it's lifetime, but that's possible with any car. I've carried loads of heavy logs, a 4 wheeler, a go-kart, bikes, boxes, and anything else. I haven't towed much with it, but that's not what I got it for. It has good room inside, and that's a concern with someone of my height. It's developed a couple of leaks lately, but it's still running. I'm still amazed at it.

Going on 15 years old
By Fred Mayes

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first truck. Left it pretty much stock, but added rain visors to windows and back. Bought an after-market bed cover which doesn't keep the bed dry, but does keep contents out of sight. My color was white and it still looks great. I have no dings in the doors, which I attribute to the plastic side moldings on the doors which evidently take the brunt of any blows and protect the paint. I've got 80,000 miles and have had very little maintenance. I have had to have the hood and roof painted twice - once from hail damage and once from flaking paint. The first time I had it painted, a fellow painted it for me at his home. When I picked it up the car would barely drive. Don't know what he did to it but I found out the catalytic convertor had failed. In calling around checking prices I was told by a muffler shop to not have a thing done to it - take it to the Ford dealership and tell them to fix it. Because of its age and mileage at the time it was still covered by a service bulletin telling dealers to replace the convertor at no charge. I printed this out and took it to the local dealer. They could barely get it up on the lift. It had no power and its top speed was about 15 mph. They did the work at no charge and haven't had any further problems. I did have the rheostat arm on the float inside the gas tank go bad leaving me with no gas gauge. Learned how to use my trip odometer as a gas gauge until I got it fixed. No other problems. The heater is great! I probably need refrigerant in the A/C, but most trips I just roll the windows down. I wish it had an Aux input to the radio or bluetooth, but I can live without. I have owned other Fords - Mustangs and Thunderbirds - but this has been my best experience with them. Oh - one thing that did bother me. When we moved to a different town, I tried to rent a trailer to pack stuff in and carry to our new home. No one would rent a trailer to me because I drove an Explorer. Anyone else had that experience?

When Will Ford Revive?
By Kenneth Mol

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a smaller truck that has everything...the sport track is the answer!!! My top favorite features is the back window that rolls down, the amazing sound (not being a Bose), and the ability to haul almost everything using the variety of tie downs!!! I don't have and cons about this truck!!! Best thing I have ever owned.

Ok if you like to work on trucks
By Al Turel

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When engine work needs to be done....it costs. No do it yourself work on this vehicle

Love my Sport Trac!
By lindalees

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac in May 2003,and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am still driving it and it just rolled 189,000. I love the "truck". I have not had any problems with it at all. I plan on driving it til she can't be driven anymore. I drive it long distance (1500 miles round trip) atleast 2 times or more a year. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is not as good as it use to be due to the ethanol gas that it has to use.I use to get 25+ highway, but now it's about 21.I am not scared to drive it anywhere I have to go. I really hate to think I'll have to replace it someday, and unfortunately can't buy another one. There is nothing out there I want. Love it!

Love the rear electric window... The motor runs like a champ and gets up and goes when needed... Love the keypad entry..... Love the hard tonneau cover with locks, and the locking tailgate... Just love the truck...period!!!

Ford need to bring it back on the market!!!