Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Going on 15 years old
By Fred Mayes

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first truck. Left it pretty much stock, but added rain visors to windows and back. Bought an after-market bed cover which doesn't keep the bed dry, but does keep contents out of sight. My color was white and it still looks great. I have no dings in the doors, which I attribute to the plastic side moldings on the doors which evidently take the brunt of any blows and protect the paint. I've got 80,000 miles and have had very little maintenance. I have had to have the hood and roof painted twice - once from hail damage and once from flaking paint. The first time I had it painted, a fellow painted it for me at his home. When I picked it up the car would barely drive. Don't know what he did to it but I found out the catalytic convertor had failed. In calling around checking prices I was told by a muffler shop to not have a thing done to it - take it to the Ford dealership and tell them to fix it. Because of its age and mileage at the time it was still covered by a service bulletin telling dealers to replace the convertor at no charge. I printed this out and took it to the local dealer. They could barely get it up on the lift. It had no power and its top speed was about 15 mph. They did the work at no charge and haven't had any further problems. I did have the rheostat arm on the float inside the gas tank go bad leaving me with no gas gauge. Learned how to use my trip odometer as a gas gauge until I got it fixed. No other problems. The heater is great! I probably need refrigerant in the A/C, but most trips I just roll the windows down. I wish it had an Aux input to the radio or bluetooth, but I can live without. I have owned other Fords - Mustangs and Thunderbirds - but this has been my best experience with them. Oh - one thing that did bother me. When we moved to a different town, I tried to rent a trailer to pack stuff in and carry to our new home. No one would rent a trailer to me because I drove an Explorer. Anyone else had that experience?

When Will Ford Revive?
By Kenneth Mol

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a smaller truck that has everything...the sport track is the answer!!! My top favorite features is the back window that rolls down, the amazing sound (not being a Bose), and the ability to haul almost everything using the variety of tie downs!!! I don't have and cons about this truck!!! Best thing I have ever owned.

Ok if you like to work on trucks
By Al Turel

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When engine work needs to be done....it costs. No do it yourself work on this vehicle

Love my Sport Trac!
By lindalees

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac in May 2003,and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am still driving it and it just rolled 189,000. I love the "truck". I have not had any problems with it at all. I plan on driving it til she can't be driven anymore. I drive it long distance (1500 miles round trip) atleast 2 times or more a year. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is not as good as it use to be due to the ethanol gas that it has to use.I use to get 25+ highway, but now it's about 21.I am not scared to drive it anywhere I have to go. I really hate to think I'll have to replace it someday, and unfortunately can't buy another one. There is nothing out there I want. Love it!

Love the rear electric window... The motor runs like a champ and gets up and goes when needed... Love the keypad entry..... Love the hard tonneau cover with locks, and the locking tailgate... Just love the truck...period!!!

Ford need to bring it back on the market!!!

Can't Be Trusted In The Heat of the Day
By smartsnacker

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Over the past two years, my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac seems to get vapor lock in the summer.
But it doesn't happen all the time.
When it happens, I'll take it into the dealer, but the service team can't duplicate the problem.
What happens (sometimes) is that I'll drive it to the store (maybe 6 miles), turn it off and shop for maybe 10 minutes.
When I return to the vehicle and start it, it will sometimes not start, or, if it starts, it won't let me go over 20 mph.
I had the fuel pump replaced in March (it's now June) and that seemed to help.
But the other day, out of the blue, it happened again!
We also had a new fuel filter installed last March as well.
Why does this happen?

Front seats are really comfortable. 4 Wheel Drive is great in the snow. I love being up high when I drive. Too bad they stopped making this model. O well, I have 84K miles on my 2003, and hope it will last me for a few more years. Next vehicle will probably be a Ford F150 Extended Cab.

Doesn't matter since they've stopped making this vehicle. Too bad too.