Used 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

HORRIBLE PRODUCT!!!
By John King

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

READ CONSUMER REVIEWS! So far, we've had this truck less than 6 months; just spent $2600 in repairs last week...Then drove to FLORIDA and on the way back DIED on the interstate stranded from home. Costed over $500 to TOW to the dealership we bought it from HERNDON CHEVROLET, LEXINGTON, SC and so far they've assessed $6000 to repair! We purchased it for $20K less than 6 months ago; dealership wants to give us $13K if truck is ALL REPAIRED for a TRADE IN VALUE! HIGH WAY ROBBERY!!!!!!! I HATE this CHEVROLET!!!

Good deal was really a bad deal
By MaryBeth Costa

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Got 2009 Silverado in 2015 with 33,000 miles for about $25K. A month later the camshaft went, dealer repaired. Two months later camshaft went again and oil pumps as well. Dealer said sorry. I had it fixed. problems with electrical system, throttle body, steering column electrical issues. Needed complete transmission replacement at 60,000 miles. Now more electrical issues with grounds, throttle body, alternator. I need this truck for work! It is costing a fortune in repairs. As soon as it is fixed I am selling it.

Run or pull out your wallet!!!
By N. Peterson

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck with less than 100k on it. Started this loud chirping almost immediately. Two mechanics that I trust looked at it and both recommended new engines. Apparently Chevy had major design flaws on this engine and did nothing more than issue a service bulletin. I've heard people anywhere from 20,000 miles and up having to swap these engines! Totally unacceptable. After a life with Chevy, we're finally going to make the switch to another company...

Classy Truck
By Bill

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second Silverado. My previous truck was an 07 LT 4WD extended cab. only real problem I had with that was the tire pressure sensors. Never worked right. Traded it in on my 09 LTZ 4WD and I couldn't be happier. This truck is at home on a night on the town or plowing through the mud on mountain roads of North Carolina. Had 65K miles when I got it and am at 110K now and still flawless. No mechanical issues whatsoever. Good power, great ground clearance and the ride is smooth, quiet and comfortable. My only complaint is the cost of routine maintenance. $400 to change spark plugs? Seriously? From now on routine maintenance will be done by my local mechanic and NOT at the dealership. I read about some of the problems others are having and I am not having any of those issues. Maybe I am just lucky. Hopefully this will be the last truck I will ever buy.

tricky work truck
By James Nowacki

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Power locks like to engage at any time. I always keep the keys in my pockets now, locked out a couple of times too many. Tire air pressure warning system likes to worry me. A small bump causes a warning signal. Work truck trim front storage armrest has no lid. If in a hurry to add a front seat passenger, everything falls into the back seat's foot well. Multiple piece back bumper plastic is too weak to back up to a loading dock. Mine broke back in 2010, when my 2009 was about 1 year old. It's still broken; why fix a faulty designed junk part. It looks bad. Factory tires were to thin, I got 2 sidewall punctures in the first 60 days-WORK TRUCK? Replacement better tires work very well. I love the trailer pulling option mine has. Easy to drive with 20 foot flat bed behind carrying my mowing/ general use tractor.