Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Not a durable work truck.,
By Ken

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

While It has great mileage for a full size truck, there are few other aspects that I like about it. I didn't expect much from the v-6 but this is bad, I can deal without acceleration but it delivers poor torque while loaded or towing. I like a sparse interior, this one feels cheap. Seats are uncomfortable, I hate having the seatbelt in the seat,always seems to ride up to my neck and is not adjustable (it happens to people of different body types as me). Under dash, loose wires everywhere. Minor issues are starting to appear $30 here and $40 there, wont break the bank but annoying. Poor handling, spongy suspension, like a 1976 wagon. Least favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

Payload, Fuel economy.

GM better overhaul its whole way of thinking to survive.

2006 Chev Silverado
By buyToyota

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

i really believe there should have been recalls on this truck. All of the following repairs were needed in the first 36 months i owned this truck: ABS went out; front axle seals continue to leak; rotors were replaced on both sides; nearly lost control of the truck on the highway when the front wheel bearings gave out; the 4 wheel drive automatic switch broke and shut down the 4x4 function; the driver's side door panel came loose and the entire panel had to be replaced; the plastic hinge for the center console broke off, etc etc.. Again, i believe that there should have been or should be a safety recall on this truck. Buyer beware. Thank goodness this is a leased vehicle and i return it.

comfortable to drive, but this is not a reliable truck in my opinion.

Chevy needs to get back building trucks like they did years ago ..... like a rock. The "quality control" process, was really lacking.

Best truck ever
By Terry

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck new for the highways and mountains of New Mexico. With 30,000 miles now it has never had to go back to the dealer for any warranty or repairs! Looks good with no rattles or problems and it's solid. About 17 mpg overall. 4.11 gears and rated for 8500 lbs towing, if needed. I've owned lots of Chevys and this is the best truck ever.

Manual 4WD on the floor so I'm in 2WD most of the time, or select 4WD High on the go. Nice soft, comfortable seats with lots of room.

None.

LT3 loaded
By Shay Dunn

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT3 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this LT3... we did spray the bedliner. This has been as great truck. I have never had any trouble.. put it in 4x4 and it trucks right out of our 1/2 mile drive up hill... Leather still looks new 3 years later. carpet is good and held up well. my husband is really tall.. and I am short.. the drive 1 and 2 has been wonderful. Looking forward to moving up to the 2500

heated seats... moonroof both are really great

car charger needs to be somewhere else other than where a person would also be putting their soda.... and well there goes the phone!

6.0 Liter Powerhouse
By Andy J

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT3 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

06 Silverado 1500 with Vortec Max package. I purchased this truck in Feb. of 08 after being T-boned in my 99 Sierra. I had been looking for the bigger 6 L. motor to pull my work trailer for a long period of time before the accident. Luckily this gem popped up when I really had to buy. I fell in love at first drive. The motor's power really is something else. It responds immediately at any speed when even light pedal is put down. Mileage with this motor is great. It actually puts my old 5.3 to shame. I average 13 city(Downtown Minneapolis: True stop and go) and @ 50-55 MPH: 21 MPG/@75 MPH 18MPG. It has all the bells and whistles. Great for towing. Love it!

Heated leather, Vortec Max package, Steering wheel controls, 4th door, Gas mileage(for a truck)

Better change holder........Maybe an integrated brake controller. Turning on the climate control could be easier. Also, do not like the new bright/dim headlight setup.