Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Incredible Car and I Don't Work for Chevy
By Maxx J'Adore

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is an old car by now so there's nothing I would say to new (used car) buyers. I'm here to go on record to say that I have never never had as reliable and easy to maintain car as this Malibu Maxx. I'm amazed at the bad reviews. Did I get a Supercar by mistake? I have had Mazdas, Olds, Fords, Dodges, absolutely nothing compares to the performance of this cheap little car. Bought it for 14K with 35000 miles. Now has 237000 miles and DRIVES EXACTLY LIKE IT DID ON THE CAR LOT. I can't explain it. It's only had regular maintenance.

Still got it at 260,000 miles. Runs like the day I bought it. Had the AC replaced. Nothing else major. What's up with this Miracle Car?

Great Car!
By Nick

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx with 80,000 miles. I had to put about $1,000 worth of repairs due to the steering shaft. The car is coughing or sputtering three or four times before turning over. The car does turn over eventually. This happens very once in a while. Not everyday If any else is having this problem please let me know. Otherwise the car run and drives great. Headlights are very dim or foggy due to so much sun. They are horrible in the dark and rainy. I am looking to buy new ones. The comfort is great, it has cruise control and cold AC and hot heat. The hatchback is very roomy and has lots of cargo room.

One hundred tewnty two miles
By linda

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. Hear they are bringing the maxx back. If so I will be checking it out and pass this one on to a family member. I still get 30 miles to the gallon when I travel the freeway and with my local driving I get 25+mpg. Which I think is great considering I do not ..how would you say..like to wait at the green light.
I do not use my local dealer but travel to one 45 minutes away because they treat me really good and I feel they treat me fairly. I have only had a few issues and several recall notices and they were promptly taken care of.

12 yrs and still going strong
By Paul

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this Mailibu Maxx in August of 2005 and the only issues have been with the steering and one tierod joint. GM made good on the steering issue and beyond that it has been a rock solid vehicle. The gas mileage is always around 24-26 MPG. The V-6 engine gives this car the power to really get up to speed fast and is smooth and quiet. The hatch back design makes for a real hauler of just about everything you can imagine and with the rear seat down we used it as our ski car for years. It has great traction in snow and ice. We now have about 85,000 miles and the only thing besides the steering issue that was taken care of by GM is we replaced the battery. Not bad for 10 years of service. My only complaint is the amount of road noise when on the freeway. They could have done a better job of noise isolation.

My only regret is they don't make this car anymore. I would like to find something like this other than a Cadillac CT-S that has all the features and functions of this wonderful car. We found this car to be a real value when we bought it and looking at the prices of used Maxx's they have held up over time. The 3500 V6 is a lot of power in a car this size. You can't help but be impressed. Also, it handles the curves and hills quite well. I hope GM will eventually bring this car back we have tried newer cars like the Subaru Outback and found it lacking in power and acceleration we are used to with our Chevy Maxx.

update 2-23-2017: We have now had our Maxx for nearly 12 years and over 100k miles. I just put my second set of tires, replaced the brakes, spark plugs and wires, and drained and replace transmission filter (scheduled maintenance items). This car gets garaged every day and washed regularly with that said the paint, a metallic champagne green still looks like new. We have had no mechanical surprises with this car. It gets great mileage at around 24-26 mpg on a regular basis. My wife loves this car with its hatchback for all the things she transports for her church. She also has to child protective seats installed in the rear seat as she babysits our grand kids 3 days each week. We really like the power of the V-6 engine and would not consider a new Malibu unless it has the V-6 option. Mpg is one thing but under-powered is not something I would consider. All in all, we are still very happy with the decision to buy this car.

update: August 2017... The CD changer quit working a couple of weeks ago. Found a factory new radio on ebay delivered to my door for $118. Now all I have to do is either install it myself or hire it done. The whole dash has to come apart in order to change out the radio. I t appears to be pretty straight forward but will take some time. Other than the radio issue the car remains rock solid.

Created acount to post this..
By mpatricio

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car my grandparents bought brand new. Was given to my mom and then to me. It currently has 229,000km now on it. Needs transmission work for afew years now. There is a knock in the car whenever you turn right, costs 500 bucks to fix. This car has 5 recalls on it atm.. for power steering which the steering cut out on me on the busy highway as I was merging. This car has had nothing but problems over the past 2-3 years. Changed the alternator like 5 times in 2 years. Constant little isuses, enver buying a gm after the 68 and counting recalls ALONE in 2014 for chevy.

bringing chevy down