Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Definately have got my money's worth
By Karen C.

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have have had very good luck ,so much so that we own 3 Impalas 2001,2013 and 2014 ,only issue with the 01 is a glitch in the security system ,if you let it go through 4 rounds of flashing from battery to security ,till it flashes single on each 1 it starts right up was told by dealership it would be $1,500 to fix ,if i does this it starts in less than 10 minutes ,wasn't worth my hard earned money to fix something that happens 1 time a year .

transmission problem
By John Dee

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

transmission went at 127,000 miles. That's just unacceptable. I actually liked the car until this happened.

Wonder Car. I wonder what will break next
By Oilmech

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, in very good condition and well maintained as a commuter for my wife. Within two years of of a 50 mile round trip commute on easy roads the transmission, alternator, air pump system, several solenoids, thermostat and several sensors failed at around 70,000 miles on the car. The latest issues is that the front bearing hubs are starting to fail. Thankfully, I can do most of the repairs myself or I would have needed a second mortgage on my home to pay for everything. While the car is comfortable and the heated seats are great in cold weather, I am sick of fixing it and am in the process of selling the car. Yes, it is an older car, but the failures are inexcusable on a car with relatively low mileage that has had good care. We have had several GM vehicles over the years, this one was by far the least reliable and most expensive to own. There will be no more GM vehicles in our garage. Update. The car was sold at a significant loss after I grew tired of spending every weekend doing repairs on it.

I'll never buy a GM vehicle ever again
By Mark

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a money pit constant major repairs. And the recalls, I'm currently on a long list to get the recalls fixed, both of that may kill you. Handling? It handles like a boat..... Ok the positive's of the car, it's roomy and comfortable, it get's decent mpg for the size. Don't be fooled by my mileage 200k this is my 3rd engine and 2nd transmission in this lemon Among many smaller repairs. I don't mind repairs I understand eventually things go bad or maintance needs to be done, but when parts fail because they are poorly designed or cheaply made that's what makes me angry and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Faithful Horse
By wyddon

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I know many had problems with the 2000 - 2004 - engine cradle, brakes, windshield leak to mention a few. Traded mine in with 109,000 miles, slight hail damage, LOUD Front End Bearing Noise between 40 and 70, along with sensor failures. It just got old.
It was a good car until the sensors started wear out. Got low 20 around town and upper 20's on the Interstate for gas mileage. Bladder full before gas gauge screams for attention. Styling was not too dated, always comfortable.
Always knew the electric bells and whistles would be the end of the car.
Front Air Dam was shot too. Engine temp slowly increased as the the Dam deterioated.
Used extended warranty, paid for itself.

Integrated entertainment and vehicle info system. Well laid out instrument cluster. Excellent and responsive powertrain and suspension. A REAL old school trunk! Lots of room. Liked the Compass, Air Temp, Gas mileage info above center windshield

Front Air Dam drags and impacts easily.