2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bolt EV model:

Cutting Edge Car, Cheap Interior
By Doug the Airplane Engineer

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I am VERY interested in purchasing one of these cars based on it's mechanical prowess. I'm a Mechanical Engineer who works on Airplanes. I'm having huge difficulties on the CHEAP hard plastic used in the dash and seats of this car. If I'm going to spend over $35K, I want something better than PLASTIC! After our test drive, we visited KIA to test drive a "hamster car HPEV". None to be found, but realized even a low rated KIA has a better interior than this car. WOW! What was GM thinking? The cheap plastic begs to receive greasy fingerprint stains resulting from normal use. Really GM? Dash pieces look like they came off a 3D printer! I think I'll wait and see if this gets fixed in the next models. I've even considered what it would take to have these ugly plastic pieces reworked by some aftermarket shop to make them acceptable.

The future is here.
By D. P.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

One of my co-workers bought a Bolt, and after looking it over and getting a ride, it seemed like the future to me. My initial reason for buying a 2017 Bolt LT is for all the things it doesn’t have: e.g. emission control devices, serpentine belt, transmission, exhaust system, motor oil, mechanical alternator, catalytic converter, fuel pump, etc. After 40 years of driving, I hate all those things; good riddance! I’ve had the car 10 months and 14,000 miles now, with zero problems. But after a few months, I started becoming conscious of how much more environmentally friendly this car is vs. our other vehicles. With our location in the power grid, it’s basically nuclear powered, so very little atmospheric pollution. We may buy into some community solar energy too. Not missing the gas stations either. We have a 32 amp / 240 V level 2 charger in the garage capable of a complete charge overnight. The electric costs are about 1/5 to 1/6 of buying gasoline for the mini-van. We use it mostly as a regional / commuter car, which covers 95% of our driving. The DC fast charge has only been used once. It’s the go-to vehicle whenever someone in our family is going somewhere. Winter in Michigan was the first driving experience with the Bolt, and I would say it is the best 2WD vehicle I’ve had in winter as far as traction and handling go. I don’t mind the cold much, so by using the heated seats and steering wheel, driving without the heater was OK down to about 10°F. We were getting about 180 mile range in winter. In spring/summer/fall, it’s more like 260-300 miles. Using the air conditioning isn’t nearly as power intensive as the heater. At 70-75 mph the typical efficiency is 3.7 miles/kWh, 4.6 miles/kWh on 55-60 mph secondary roads, and 5.1-5.6 miles/kWh driving in town. Recovering kinetic energy through regenerative braking is somehow a very satisfying feeling, plus the brakes should last almost forever. I’m 6’0”, 195 lb, and the seats (cloth) aren’t exactly luxurious, but they’re not un-comfortable. Most car seats give me back pain, but not these. The interior capacity / hatch opening for hauling around bulky items is quite good. Plus, it’s not so elegant that you’re afraid to haul cargo in it. I suppose the entertainment system is OK (I don’t own a smartphone to use with it.) The AM radio reception is not the best however. The Bolt out-accelerates probably 75% of cars and trucks on the road, and has nimble handling to. All in all, this is my favorite vehicle of all time (vs. cars, vans, SUVs, pickups we’ve owned). I’m convinced EVs are the future.

Seats too uncomfortable for me to recommend
By Rob K

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I rented this car for a 5 day, 700 mile round trip up the coast of California and to Paso Robles back down to San Diego. The car came fully charged, and I was able to drive to Valencia before stopping to charge the vehicle at an EVGO station. It was either Valencia or Bakersfield, and I didn't want to push my luck so I chose Valencia. Having a battery that holds 200+ miles on a single charge is super amazing, but you still get a slight sense of range anxiety once you get to the central valleys past Los Angeles where there are fewer options. For example at the Grapevine, they ONLY have Tesla super chargers, NO DC Fast chargers for Bolt owners. There are L2 Chargers, but with a 60KW battery that would take far too long - but good if you need to do a few hours of shopping at the outlet malls! The other issue with FAST CHARGING. To protect the battery, they shut off after the battery hits 80% - or they slow down. At the Valencia location, it shut off. I re-activated the charger, but it was charging so slow, I figured it would be better to get back on the road and drain the battery down again, so we drove over the Grapevine. At that point, I had a tough decision to make. Go 15 miles out of my way to Bakersfield or try to make it all the way to Paso Robles. If I missed the mark, I would be stranded, so I elected to go out of my way and I drove up to Bakersfield to a Walmart and topped the battery back up to 80% at an EVGO Station there. The Walmart EVGO actually continued charging past 80% but slowed down tremendously so it wasn't really worth it at that point. Continuing on, I made it to Paso Robles from Bakersfield, with a decent charge left on the battery to get me around Paso. In Paso many wineries had free L2 chargers so that kept me going all weekend, but when it came time to leave, NO DC FAST CHARGERS IN paso. Cool Hand Lukes has one 25AMP Fast charger, so I plugged in there, and got the battery topped off. Really expensive at that charger. Anyway, let's talk more about the rest of the car. The seats SUCK. I'm not going to lie. I'm 6'1 and 200lbs, have plenty of head room in this car, but the seats are TOO NARROW for my body and are harder than a rock. Designed for thin people. I'm assuming if you get the upgraded model with leather, the seats are better, but not sure. Anyway, the seats really turned me off about this car. I think this is an amazing car. It has LOTS Of pep and go! Ride quality is comfortable other than seats, interior noise is minimal. This car rides better than my Lincoln MKC does. The stereo is also AWESOME, even on the base model, highs are crisp and plenty of bass.. LOVE THE STEREO in this car. Hooked my iPhone up via CarPlay, minimal issues there, a few lags on the display, i.e. a different song was playing than what was showing, but otherwise worked perfectly. Backup camera great, and large with the lines to help you back into a spot.. Remote keyless entry standard. NOTE: DC FAST CHARGING IS NOT STANDARD AND DO NOT BUY THIS CAR WITHOUT IT!!! I REPEAT GET THE DC FAST CHARGING OPTION! For $37,000 or more, I think Chevy could do better. I know the batteries cost a lot, but they could have put nicer seats. Everything is MANUAL in this car, i.e. the rear view mirror no auto dimming. No homelink garage door opener. No auto lift gate in the back. Cargo room.. I got a cooler, 2 suitcases, my bicycle (with the wheels removed), several cases of wine and a bunch of other small odds and ends in the car.. fit perfectly. Final closing thoughts... Overall the range anxiety created by electric even with a larger battery is not for everyone. Be prepared for electric chargers that are offline or don't work properly, and be prepared to wait to get a charger because some rude Uber driver who thinks that the charging stations are their own personal profit center and they hog them all day long. If you are patient and willing to deal with issues finding chargers or waiting for one to become free, do this. I love the ZERO EMISSIONS. I love not having to put gas in it. If we had taken my MKC the trip would have cost about $80 bucks. I think our total charging bill was around $30-40 for the whole trip.

DC fast-charging is not optional.
By Danny MB

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

For some strange reason Chevy decided to make the DC fast charging capability optional. Make sure the vehicle is equipped with DC fast-charging before you buy.It is a must for long trips otherwise you will have to rent a car. You will know if it has DC fast-charging by checking the charge port for the additional Orange cap covering two additional holes under the regular j1772 port.

EV that does it all
By Gary Aulfinger

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

EVs are always smother, quieter, more responsive, and more reliable. The Bolt EV is also open and upright - spacious and friendly inside, practical for family drives and fetching cargo. It is the most affordable model with the kind of range that makes long distance drives possible, even where charing infrastructure isn't built up yet. With a little planning, I have been able to do 690 miles with an overnight stay.