2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Bolt EV model:

Best EV in it's Class
By Laura Aleana

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric 1DD)

Best EV I've ever driven! Impressive battery, the top range I got was 328 in the summer. Handles and drives like a dream. The ride is smooth, quiet and agile with great center of gravity that hugs the road. Theres a lot of body roll but, if you drive in Low mode it eliminates all of that. It costs me about $22/month to charge. No other maintenance costs besides maybe needing new tires in a few years. There's three ways of braking and they all help regenerate the battery. This car is amazing. Once you go EV Bolt you will never go back!!!

Love Driving Into the Future
By Jim

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric 1DD)

Have to admit up front, my wife and I are passionate about a fossil carbon-free lifestyle, and the Bolt nearly brings our household energy use to this goal, particularly because we "fuel" the Bolt from our home solar PV system. Kudos to Chevrolet. Took delivery on Feb 13, 2018, and with a vengeance Bolt met the winter of north central Minnesota, including driving in temperatures as low as -14F and heavy snow, Performance was excellent. Now 3800 miles later and finally with the arrival of Spring, the Bolt retains its excellence. We live in a rural area and local driving involves round trips to towns and small cities within a 150 mile range. The major reason we picked the Bolt was that we believed, hoped for, the Bolt would meet 100% of our local driving requirements, even in winter. That means at least 150 mile range in very cold, snowy weather, with comfortable security range remaining - the Bolt met this goal. And finally in April with temperature warm-up and disappearance of snow, combined with reasonable driving habits, the Bolt already has provided a range well beyond its rated 238 miles, reaching close to 300 miles. The biggest learning curve was locating and using the various push buttons and controls, headlights, radio, heating/AC fan system, etc. We have been Toyota owners since the early 1980's, and many of the controls are in different places. But, even at my mature age of 71, I have mastered the controls, and I now have found them to be nearly intuitive. One hangup is the cruise control. Nearly every time I engage it initially or reengage, I have to look to find the button. I doubt I will ever find this control to be intuitive to the point of not having to take my eyes off the road. As for driving, acceleration from a stop is better than great, acceleration to pass at highway speed is great. This car really goes. The suspension provides a comfortable ride with very little sway on curves, the seats are comfortable, visibility is very good, the rear view camera screen is really good, the blind space alerts on the outside mirrors are very welcome and safety important, the headlights are the best I've ever had on a car, and all-in-all, I have no complaints about the Bolt. I love to drive this car, no gas or oil change expense, and the only maintenance so far is adding some air to the tires to keep them at 40 psi and filling the washer tank. Although the tires are self-sealing, I did get a lug wrench and jack, with a donut tire I already had, to change a flat, just in case. I bought through the dealer, at a price to match competition, a Level 2 - 240V/32A charger to charge the Bolt at home, and set the charger to complete the charge by 4:00 am so that the Bolt is always ready for an early start day. I have used public DC fast chargers three times just to make sure I know how to use them, in the event the Bolt will take us on a longer journey. In a couple of words, yes, I would buy a Bolt again, unless the next Chevy EV, perhaps a Jolt, has a much longer range with towing capacity.

Fun to drive but unreliable and unrepairable.
By Stuart Francis

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier 4dr Hatchback (electric 1DD)

It has an odd mix of premium and basic features.

It does not have an adaptive cruise option. There is an excuse about having to change the braking system to add it but it seems like this was more of a cost saving option (on a 40k+ car).

It only has resistive cabin heating. The good news is that it warms up fast, you get heat sooner than most gas engine cars. The bad news is that it can come close to cutting the range in half in cold weather. It’s fine for me since my commute is only about 10 miles but you need to factor that plus aging of the battery into your commute range.

It does not have a navigation system option but It has Android auto and CarPlay both of which work OK for navigation. I kind of prefer this as there are no map updates to deal with. Also, this is a city car so it will mostly be driven in areas with cell coverage.

Some interior design decisions were poor. The center touch screen can be partly obscured and difficult to reach for smaller drivers. A lot of space on the center console was wasted for the ‘shift lever’ which is a rather pointless item in an electric car. It seems like it could have been placed better or replace by buttons or some such. It even has an odd redundancy of having a shift to park button on a lever that can also be shifted to park. The cup holders are too close together as a result of using up space for the shifter. The cargo storage is in three ‘layers’ making it clumsy to get to the lower deck items. The car also does not come with or offer a spare tire which wouldn’t be so bad if OnStar would actually pick up when you have a problem. It didn’t work well for me.

The Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Following Distance Indicator, and Front Pedestrian Braking features appear to be pointless. Lane keep assist does no adaptive steering or bump you back toward the lane, it just shows an icon on the screen if it thinks you are out of your lane which is the case almost everywhere (our road markings in town are bad). The following distance indicator show the number of seconds to the car in front of you but only when you are already too close at highway speeds. The pedestrian braking feature just shows an icon of a person when it sees someone on the side of the road. It didn’t see one that walked right out in front of the card. It also fails to actually brake.

The sad part is that mine died after only 2200 miles and the dealer has been unable to diagnose the problem in close to a month. Apparently trouble logging and technical support are just not up to the task on this car yet. Maybe this will be a viable car in the future but for now I would avoid at all cost. There seem to be a number of online reports of similar issues.

Affordable. Entertaining. Sporty.
By Mike Horsley

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT 4dr Hatchback (electric 1DD)

I've owned 3 Prius and an I-MiEV. (at the same time I've also owned Jeeps, BMWs, and a Porsche). I've owned my Bolt for 4 months, and I'm pleased. My wife and I fight over who gets to drive it. PROS: quick acceleration, one pedal driving. This alone will create a huge following. CONS: both the "Low" setting (for aggressive regenerative braking) and the sport button (for quick acceleration) both turn off when the ignition is turned off. They both have to be turned back on, after the ignition is turned back on. Perhaps someone can help me with a hack to leave these two features set as I like them (ON), until I turn them off. Other dislikes: The door buzzer chimes incessantly when the door is opened, even when in park, and with the parking brake is set (only turning off the ignition will kill it). Android audio likes your phone to be connected in a special order with the USB port, but it does work well. Your cell phone must save, and name, and delete, your destinations. The Bolt screen just projects them. The left half of the screen gives verbal directions (which my wife listens to, and reads), and the right gives a visual map display (I turn the female voice directions off). Who doesn't like the absence of oil and filter changes? I feel the suspension is too firm (harsher than it needs to be). I'd pay $250 a corner to retrofit something more compliant. Oh, and the floor mats seem a little on the cheap side.

2000 miles of being an e-convert
By David

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier 4dr Hatchback (electric 1DD)

We purchased our 2017 Bolt EV Premier on the last day of the 2017 tax year, now passed 2 months and approaching 2,000 miles. In short, it is a quick and fast accelerating, easy to handle, versatile compact car. While snow has been mild this season, it handled well in the few snowfalls our roads experienced in the Mid-Atlantic region. We were worried at first that transitioning from our all road station wagon to this compact was going to be a problem. We did a trunk test, though, and were able to accommodate what we needed and grocery store runs while filling the seats with people. The car has been nice and easy to use in school drop off/ pick up lanes and highway runs, alike. I wonder a little bit about the resilience of the recycled materials in the interior, but it is functional, a good look for the vehicle, and only time will tell. The range of the car even in very cold weather has been fine... low temperatures (well below freezing) can mean a drop to 60% of temperate range due to both decreased battery chemistry potential energy and thermal conditioning needs of the battery. However. 60% of 238 mi is over 140 mi. For several weeks, we managed use of the car mostly with in town commuting using the provided plug-in 120v Level I EVSE, which used our household outlet. We now have a Level II EVSE installed on a 240V connection (the Clipper Creek HCS-40) and it has made a world of difference in convenience. Our car has the on board option for using the DC fast stations. However, while nice to have in case we get really adventurous on weekend getaways, we have not needed to use a commercial Level II EVSE let alone one of those. We now only charge the car 1-2 times per week and hardly ever drop much below 180 mi of listed range. There really is not anything we do not like about the car. It has more road feel than we anticipated which I like but my wife tolerates. Speed bumps have to be carefully approached. We have not had any vehicle clearance issues, though, as the nose of the car is quite short. She otherwise loves the car, especially the one pedal driving which both makes braking very responsive and keeps us using as much regenerative braking as possible. The car is heavy enough to be stable in bad weather. We know this from driving shortly after Winter Storm Riley in gale force wind. The interior seems to get dirty quickly but maybe that has been the wet season this year. This currently is our only car, though I commute by other means.