Used 2001 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

I hate loving it so much :(
By Donnie

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car at a 100k miles 3 years ago as my second car at the age of 19. I didn't even know what it was until I found it online and did more research. Coming from a 2011 VW GTI with DSG, I figured I was getting in another 1.8/2.0T VAG product. Little did I know, it has a 2.7L V6 with twin K03 turbos. Mine was a well maintained one owner car with the Tiptronic transmission. Reliability? HAHAHAHA what a joke. I have the most random and smallest issues to fix. And as annoying and expensive as this car is, the feeling it delivers with the turn of the key, irreplaceable. It has a 145k miles now and I have done routine service and I would not hesitate to drive it cross country. Quattro? Pulled up a 3800lbs. 90's Lexus SC400 with a welded rear diff up and STEEP incline with two uneven cracked strips of frozen pavement like it was a feather. And pulled a 4x4 Ram 1500 out of mud. All while being slammed to the ground on H&R springs and blown shocks. Transmission is limiting and will be the ONLY reason I sell this car. I want a 6spd. so I can upgrade turbos but even with an APR Stage 1 tune and a Borla catback, this car pulls and through the entire rpm range. Constant power delivery and complete sleeper. And the sound it makes.......absolutely phenomenal. The interior is incredibly simple yet so elegant in its own way. Every bit of it feels heavy to the touch with a quality finish. Exterior has the timeless design that still fits in today with modern cars on the road. Will I buy this car again? Absolutely, when I'm not a college student. UPDATE: now at 173k been leaking coolant since before I posted this and still runs strong. Took a hit to the passenger side in a wreck and walked away without even wiplash. Will never buy anything but German.

Puts a smile on your face every time you drive it
By stefanv

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car about 7 months ago and I have loved every minute of it. The car sticks to the road around turns and has that awesome acceleration! It is so responsive that it feels almost like a go kart. A lot of people talk about how expensive the repairs are on this car, which is true. My oil pan cracked about a month ago. The dealership charged about $1,000 to replace the oil pan, and replace the cam shaft tensioner valves. I am a car enthusiast, so in my eyes this car is worth the extra money for repairs. As some say you have to pay to play!

Won't be buying another one.
By Scott

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used in 2004 for an independent dealer. This car is a lot of fun to drive and handles great. Gas mileage sucks, but it's a twin tubo V6 with AWD so what do you expect. Past the fun to drive part I am really disappointed with the car. After 100K miles it has completely fallen apart. If Audi wants to claim to be a great reliable car they need to go back to the drawing board. Since October 09 to January 10 I have put over 3,500 in to the car. Now the O2 sensors (at least two of the four) have gone bad and that will cost me over $400 to get fixed. It's for sale and I will not be buying another one! Friends of mine are about to sell there A4 for the same reasons.

Fun as hell to drive. Great handling. Real enthusiasts car.

German Engineering at its finest
By Kelvin

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased my S4 used with 30k and it ran like a champ right off the dealership lot! Love the QUATTRO engineering. This car is a bona fide pocket rocket. Handles corners extremely well, firm tight suspension and great acceleration. Only wish I had gotten a 6 speed instead of the automatic. The S line should stand for super. Audi has done it right again with the S4.

Bose sound system, supple leather trim, QUATTRO engineering, abundant horsepower.

Bigger back seat, better navigation system.

What's not to like?
By B5alltheway

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car only a few months. Love spending every second in it. Sounds and handles great even in stock. This is the only car I've ever wanted, more than any BMW or Audi. The B5 S4 is truely a work of art and probably has the best engine ever made. Nothing compares to the 2.7TT when it comes time to do upgrades. There is so much potential with this car that no other audi except the A6 2.7tt can offer. This engine can handle 400awhp without making any kind of mechanical upgrades to rods or pistons.The Euro RS4 comes stock with k04s and 380hp on the same engine. When Audi made this car they tried everything they could to limit this engine. Once you unleash it, you wont be dissapointed.

The turbos of course. The sound they make when spooling up. The Bose speakers sound great. The shifting is smooth with the 6-speed tranny.

Better made throttle body boot, maybe bring back the twin turbo instead of a supercharger in the new 09 S4. Some stock K04's would be the best ever. 18inch RS4 rims need to be standard! Better and louder exhaust system from UUC or AWE should be standard also.