Used 1999 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura CL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Honda, I mean Acura.
By Scott Oaks

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Before you buy the Acura cl 3.0 know that the transmission is not compatible with the engine, if you drive the car hard the transmission will go out.. But if you take care of the car and do constant transmission fluid changes meaning 30k or less.. The transmission does not have a filter so it's a drain and fill.. The other owner say when you change the fluid do it 2 to 3 times consecutively.. I know this sounds like a lot but it's better than a new or refurbished transmission. Otherwise the car runs and drives great. I would buy another, but buyer beware.
Update!
Well it's been about a year since I purchased the Acura and I've put on about 5k and I've not had one problem, so, since it's been so stable so long I've made a considerable amount of changes. In a sense​ I've made it a new car with a lot of todays modern technology included in today's cars. Plus a few that made it look new as well, but with that being said, I'm not finished yet.
I have rid myself of the Acura, transmission started going bad plus a heater core was starting to show adverse symptoms, the car is out of my life even though it was a fun project.

99 Acura Great driver still at 95000 plus
By jmucha@yahoo.com

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

check maintainance histtory .. FLUIDS CHANGED !!!!! at 50000 mi.

246 K
By Dan Boek

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

After 246K oil leak so I found a low miles motor rebuilt trans now good for 150 K more I am not the best at maintenance. This car has guts and classy too.

300,000 plus
By Kuntree TLR

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I haven't. Had trans issue I got the car in 2012 with 181,000 replace starter ,battery ,

Bad trans in 99 don't buy
By dontuy22

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I own a 99 CL 3.0, all of the transmissions go bad in this car, I've talked to many people and eventually the trans will go bad way before it should. Do not buy one unless you're prepared to sink 3 grand into at any given time. Could have been a great car, I replaced my trans at 80k miles and now it works good. A friend of mine is an excelllent mechanic with a wealth of knowledge on all cars, and he says it should be good for another 100k miles, but it will definetely go out again eventually and there's nothing that can be done besides replacing it again.

I love the car besides the bad transmission.

Bad transmissions.