2005 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Swedish Dragon Wagon
By R2D2 on 10/01/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This much fun ought to be illegal. The V70R is the perfect stealth wagon. Who would expect 0-60 in the mid-5s from a station wagon? With the available aftermarket items (exhaust, sway bars, and engine computer kits), getting 350+ HP is very do-able from only 2.5 liters. The 6-speed manual and brembo brakes make this a pleasure to drive. With 04 and 05 models coming within pricing reach, now is the time to think swede.

Not a soccer mom
By Buffalo Bob on 06/23/05 20:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After starting out looking at Volvo V70 Cross Country models and deciding they're dogs - real soccer mom cars - I went through a number of SUVs up to and including a 4Dr Ford F150 P/U. Then gas hit $2.50 and someone reccomended I check out a V70R. I didn't even know they existed. Once I checked them on line goodbye to V6s & V8s... Fortunately my dealer had a used S60R to test drive so I got a taste - and began the process of getting a V70R. Build quality seems terrific. Performace with the 6 speed is excellent. Gas mileage is 23+ at the speeds the car performs best. 'And talk about stealth. I even passed a state trooper and he never noticed. After all it's a Volvo wagon right? Cool!

Volvo V70R-2005
By Orion T. Osborne on 06/03/05 17:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased the automatic version of this vehicle because I am a high mileage driver (50,000 miles per year- road miles). This vehicle is a little slugish and I have discussed this with my dealer. I was expecting a faster automobile off the line and currently I am considering an after market EUC upgrade. I owned a 2001 V70 T-5 that was quicker. Mechanically, Volvo parts don't last many miles (bushings, shocks, engine mounts, etc). My T-5 had one of everything replaced in 205,000 miles, except the engine and the trans needed replacing when I traded it in. I truly hope the V-70R holds up better over time.

Fourth Turbo Volvo
By Sleeper on 04/01/05 11:16 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The V70R is the perfect AWD replacement for anyone who has enjoyed an 850 turbo. The accelleration (with automatic trans) is very similar but the ride is more compliant and the handling much improved (you would never know you are in a wagon when cornering). If you wish more accelleration, go with the 6-speed manual - you will find the accelleration of the automatic underwhelming (considering the car has 300HP)compared with the 6M. The '04 is my wife's car and I will be replacing my Volvo Cross Country with a V70R 6M this spring.

2005 V70R is junk!!!
By mike_c70 on 03/23/05 13:15 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I picked up this 05 V70R after lemoning my 2004 S60R. Upon delivery of the vehicle, within 1/2 mile leaving the dealership, the car made this awful clunking and squeaking noise in the front suspension. I drove back to the dealer and they inspected it. They said that one of the springs in the front suspension came out of its seat. Furthermore, headlights were pointed straight down making them useless for night driving. Went back the next day to get the headlights re-aimed, said it was done. Guess what? Still pointing straight down. Furthermore, the clunking and squeaking in the front suspension came back. The car has been to the service dept in 2 of the 3 days of ownership. Do not buy a Volvo

Amazing car !
By Harry Garschagen on 03/11/05 12:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After trading in my 1998 V70 T5 with 140,000 miles on the odometer, I bought a 2005 V70R. Performance and handling are simply phenomenal, allowing you to drive at speeds and under conditions normally reserved for high-end sportscars. Build quality is excellent and all controls, switches and gauges are logical and functional.

the ultimate in stealth high performance
By micron26 on 02/03/05 01:32 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

It's incredibly versatile with ample space and the 4C suspension setup, and has tremendous performance in third and fourth gear. Lag is noticeable at low RPM, particularly in first and second gear, but very few cars of any stripe can stay with this one once it gets going. It also boasts the best (support, comfort) seats I've ever sat in (my wife concurs), and has a pleasing design inside and out. Many a BMV/MB/Audi have watched my back end disappear in the distance, and the shocked looks from SUV drivers expecting to blow my slow Volvo wagon off the road remain priceless. Also has a great NAV system and shifter. All of this refers to the MT: beware the AT (GT), it's much slower.

AWESOME!!
By JHWinick on 12/16/04 00:50 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

A perfect "no compromise" compromise. For those that need the features of a station wagon, but really desire the sportiness of a two-seater - this is the ticket. High performance, high comfort and high utility. An awesome automobile.

Volvo V70 -- the "alternative" SUV
By Tony on 12/15/04 17:31 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second V70. The first was a V70XC (Cross Country). The V70R, also an AWD vehicle, offers the best of all worlds. First it handles better than a car with its adjustable, computer- controlled chassis. It gets great gas mileage -- imagine a 5-cylinder engine (cheap to drive) that will crank out 300 horses when you want to have fun. Finally imagine the traction and versatility of an SUV in a luxury car that is loaded with safety features. As long as Volvo remains Volvo and doesn't morph into a Ford Country Squire, I'll be behind the wheel of a V70 indefinitely. Did I mention 300hp on an AWD wagon?

Amazing Performance from a Wagon!
By Satisfied on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

If you want a daily driver/safe family vehicle that will wrap you in comfort, give you the sure footed handling and stability in every condition and also smoke you neighbors Porche, this is the car to get...