1999 Volvo S70 2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Quality Car w/Qwerky Electronics

1999 Volvo S70 - Consumer Review

1999 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Base Sedan (2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Quality Car w/Qwerky Electronics
By VOVO on

1999 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I'm very happy with how the car has performed except for a few very minor electrical problems. The engine coolant level sensor failed. A false warning light is illuminated on the dash. A fragile gear in power mirror broke. I was disappointed to find out the gear can only be ordered with the mirror motor for several hundred dollars. I put the battery on a charger, which caused the climate control system to generate a fault. Everything reset itself after I restarted the car. No one makes repair manuals for this year Volvo. This is not the car for the DIY'er. Electronic manuals are sold by Volvo on an annual subscription basis at an exorbitant cost.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, strong brakes, intuitive instrument layout, adequate power, firm ride quality, excellent sound insulation, decent stereo system

Suggested Improvements

Simplify the electrical system to ensure reliability. The P1800 is in the Guiness Book for longevity -- let's see how well the modern Volvos fare.