Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Great fun, excellent performance
By Bob Ellenson

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We recently purchased our Volkswagen Beetle GLX having previously driven a GLS for only a few months. What a world of difference! The interior is much nicer (leather, etc) and car just feels “tighter.” The seats are very comfortable and come with individual heaters (not that we need them much in Florida). The controls are easy to use and there is plenty of headroom and legroom (I have to scoot the seat forward and I am 6’2”). The GLS had some “trim” problems (door latch, light bulbs, etc) but the GLX has none of that. Last but not least is the performance with the turbo. The car flat gets out of the hole when you want it to. Add to all that the fluorescent green color and you have one fun car.

The look and styling. The handling and acceleration. The quality of the interior trim panels and carpeting. The vanity lights in the visors.

More cup space would be a bonus. No car should ever be sold without a CD Changer (we had to install one). The paint on the top of the door panel lends itself to scratching - should be upholstered.

Fun and economical
By Dan & Karen

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our 2001 Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo Hatchback a year ago and have had no problems with it, whatsoever. It's not as comfortable as a Cadillac but it's still comfortable, even on long trips. It's excellent on fuel, fast, and fun to drive (a modern and improved version of the classic Beetle). We enjoy waving to other Beetle owners on the road (sort of a cult thing). We also have two large artificial daisies in the vase on the dashboard which complement the car. Overall, we highly recommend this car for those who want something different, economical, and fun to drive.

Great gas mileage, drives and handles like a sports car, dash instrument panel lighting is unique.

This car needs better cup holders, reading lights (front and rear), and wider sun visors (the current ones aren't even big anough to shade your face).

Good, Solid Fun
By xbeetle driver

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 New Beetle has proven to be reliable, stylish, and economical. I get a steady 26 mpg in my dail commute. It cruises easily above legal limits showing it was designed to run German autobahns. Great seats - no bun or back aches after a day of driving. Excellent German engineering at a rock bottom price.

Excellent handling, interior design and quality of materials, front seats for leg and head room - lots of standard features for the money and its unique looks.

Basic 2.0 liter engine needs about 20 more horses. Power window design has had the Bug into the shop twice for warranty work; inside door handle cover peals.

It's the little things
By NL

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was not what I had hoped. The headlamps needed to be changed every two months, the gas door froze, then broke, the front console where the cups holders are broke. The a/c broke at one point due to a mechanical failure...a little piece of plastic broke inside the dash, ended up costing me $500 to fix. I've paid the car off and hoped to keep it until the engine died...but I think the inside will fall to pieces before that happens.

Not a bad ride in bad weather.

The interior is cheap as heck, I will never buy another Volkswagen.

Nice looking but at a price
By nohoguy

Bought the car because I liked the styling, the handling and the turbo engine. These good things about the car are lost in the inconvenience this car has brought me. Since I got this car four years ago, I have had five lightbulbs blow out - two in the headlights, two in the console and one taillight. The armrest has broken twice. Both power windows have malfunctioned. Plastic shielding has fallen out of the moonroof twice, one time falling on my shoulder. Worst of all, my ac failed right in the middle of summer, for my ac problem I went to an ac specialist who tested my ac for $0 while the dealership in Santa Monica wanted to test it for $200. No joke, these cars are very unreliable.

I love the large speedometer, style all around, handling, space inside, moonroof, and radio (except for am because it doesn't come in half the time).

Improve the reliability. I have been to the dealership three times in one month once, it's very aggrivating. VW dealers are very expensive to service - $200 vs. $0 doesn't make sense. The ride can be harsh, the car feels like it can't make the turn on hard turns, there are vibrations in the car, and it jumps into - the engine is not smooth.