2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Dealer and Reliability Problems
By boblewisvwstinks on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is a terrific idea. A small, peppy car with good comfort and good handling. Unfortunately, the dealer I bought it from is loaded with a bunch of slimey crooks. I'll never do business with Bob Lewis VW again. For example, the day I bought the car, the parcel shelf under the hatch turned out to be broken. Drove back to the dealership -- where they should have just placed another one in the car no questions asked. The new car delivery guy asks his boss what to do. His reply? Schedule a service appointment. After making a scene, they fixed the problem. Creeps.

Perfect reliability and so fun to drive
By DaveInSoCal on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Bought a 2001 New Beetle Sport 1.8T for my wife. I specified the 1.8T motor as I knew I would also be driving it very often. The power and reliablity of the motor has been great. The handling and comfort is well balanced. Compact enough to easily park and drive in traffic and the city. We've had it for almost 2 years and have not had one problem. My wife's friend got a Civic and has had several problems, so she's still so happy with the Beetle. The design seems timeless, too.

SENSATION OF THE ROAD
By J. GUTIERREZ on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I DROVE IT ACCROSS THE COUNTRY, FROM CALIFORNIA TO FLORIDA. THE PERFORMANCE, THE DRIVING WAS ABSOLUTELY AN EXPERIENCE, LOVED IT. THE CAR ITSELF WAS THE SENSATION OF THE ROAD. EVERYWHERE WE STOPPED SOMEONE WILL APPROACH US TO INQUIRE ABOUT THE CAR AND OF COURSE THERE WAS ONLY ONE ANSWER: WONDERFUL!!!!!

Fast and Fun
By T C Jester on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Great room for two passengers. Car is comfortable running at about 90-95 mph.

BugabooX2
By on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second beetle that I have owned in a year (lost the first one to an accident) and I love it!! It's very safe and fun to drive! I love my heated leather seats...its nice in Vermont! The only complaint I have is the front cup holders in the standard! I cant even fit a water bottle in it!! Other than that I love it! Looking forward to the convertible model!!

Volkswagen: KING OF UNRELIABILITY
By netchic1 on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I bought into the hype and really regret it. My 2001 NB Turbo is cute, but it's in the shop about 1 time every 2 months minimum. Headlights go out within 2 months of buying the car, radiator hose broke w/in 1 month of being new, battery just went dead b/c alternator was faulty, check engine light has gone on twice, door lock on driver handle pops out - been broken 2x, the center console latch broke, and this is all under 24,000 MILES!!!! VW service at dealerships are not all that great, I had an awful run in with the Boardwalk Auto Volkswagen in Redwood City, CA. Most VW Service Dealers are backed up with all the VWs that have problems.

Almost worth the Trouble
By youareslow on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased my '01 Beetle and it has been in the shop about 4 times in the first 2 years for various things. They are all minor things, but still issues. The window regulators, the speedometer, center console, and gas cap have all failed since it was new. These are not huge issue's but should be noted. The window regulator has a recall so if you have this problem go get it fixed. Otherwise the car has been everything I hoped it would be. The Turbo motor is quiet, smooth, and very powerful. The heated seats are great in the winter and car is very quiet at highway speeds. Overall I would call the car "Not so trouble- free fun."

So far, so good
By Scmil315 on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, this has been a good vehicle. Strengths would be interior room for drivers and front seat passengers (I am 6'2" tall), adjustable steering wheel, shift smooth and quick, vehicle provides a good feel of the road. Stereo is powerful, CD changer was a nice little plus. Added the bra to the front to protect the white paint from stone chips, a must on this blunt-nosed little buggy. Colors of the dash are driver friendly at night, with purple and red gauges that are easy on the eyes. Remote controls for entry are a nice plus too. Sunroof feels almost like a convertible! Wide tires give good road feel, but a little road noise sneaks through.

Disappointed!!!
By BaaadJenny on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

I thought I was buying a good, reliable car and ended up instead with a lemon. It's a 1.8 GLS turbo and has 21,500 miles on it. I like the look and the way it drives, but problems? Let's see...Gas door will sometimes open/close, sometimes not, trunk usually does not open with the remote or the inside switch, the screws fall out of the window levers, the driver's side window got stuck and the regulator inside the door broke, the passenger side door lock malfunctioned and had to be replaced. Shall I go on? Oh yeah, and the service from the dealer sucks!

Highway hazard
By raediem on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Headlights burn out very quickly. Brakes replaced at 30K. Alternator replaced at 24500-of course out of warranty. Less than 500 miles later the battery died. At 37K the alternator needs to be replaced again. Door to gas tank is now manual. While driving car will jerk, electrical system dies at any speed then resumes. This is very traumatic on the highway!!!