Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Love my used bug
By cy

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well this is my first VW I swore I would never buy or drive a bug, but I love my bug. I got real lucky I found her in the newspaper one owner a folder of her records oil was always changed on time, new timing belt, brakes, water pump new sensors all leather int stick turbo heated seats mirrors, only thing is high miles all highway 20,000, but with all the new parts and its in mint I jumped on it for $2,300 cash I replaced the cat did the work my self ordered one on line and the clutch, so I have like a new car, I love her shes good to me to, to everyone that had problems sorry maybe your car was made on a fri or mon, they say those are bad days so don't buy a car that was made on that day, thanx

STICK, TURBO, HEATED SEATS AND AWESOME SOUND SYSTEM 6 CD CHANGER....

Fast easy riding and driving Fun Bug
By zcarid

Each year the GLX has pleased us with the performance on long trips averaging 2500 miles. Cruises easily at highway speeds between 80 and 100 mph. Will go a lot faster but so will the police. Quick responsive steering and at end of long days feel like we have been treated to an easy ride. Visibility is great all around. Acceleration with the Turbo is a real safety feature in itself. Have had a few problems all easily fixed by family mechanic. Not a fan of dealer maintenance who seem to be way too expensive and eager to replace assemblies when an adjustment or a minor part is all that is needed.

Visibility and head room are strongest advantages over most other cars. High torque and fast revving Turbo assures acceleration as needed is always there.

Visors need to be lengthened and have fold out extenders length wise and fold-down or pull down extenders to block nearly horizontal sun rays.

Cute, but flaky
By Katherine

I've had the car over five years, after buying it used in 2003. Within 18 months, the alternator went out and had to be replaced, the clutch went out at 16,000 miles and had to be replaced (believe me, I do not ride the clutch THAT hard), the hoses had to be replaced twice, and the power windows both had to be replaced. Later, the blinkers and cruise control failed and had to be replaced (though it was always fun to flip the blinker switch and see what would happen. It would blink in some pretty spectacular random patterns, until it was fixed). It handles surprisingly well in the snow, but due to the myriad electrical and mechanical issues - I will not be buying a VW ever again.

Improved engineering/electrical - needs far better reliability!

Style versus Quality
By jrainer

My wife wanted a beetle ever since they released the new version. We bought a certified used, so had a warranty on it which has come in handy. Don't buy a Beetle without a warranty! We had 2 or 3 warranty repairs that would have been $400 or more. Now that it's out of warranty, we've spent about $1,500 on repairs that are quality issues, from leaking cooling systems to exhaust pipe cracks to window motors. The interior looks stylish but cheap and is cheap. The armrest, mirror adjust switch, and a cup holder are broken. Sun visors are worthless; back seat folds down to an odd and annoying position; glove box is too small.

Fun to drive and drives like a performance car. Has great acceleration w/ the Turbo. Beautiful design. Transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed. Seats are fairly comfortable for long drives and interior is roomy.

For the price, VW could do better on the interior quality. Parts are hard to get by my mechanic, and they're rarely in stock when I go to the dealer for repairs! The side rocker panel is easy to dent on curbs (yep, guilty!) and costs over $2,000 to repair because it's connected w/ entire side panel.

So fun it's crazy...
By BugBot

This car is so fun to drive. The turbo rocks - people expect you to putter along because you're in a bug and you leave them in the dust every time. It's incredible in bad weather. Right after I bought it, I was driving in a downpour that was so bad that people were pulling over and I didn't even need the wipers! The windshield is like an airplane and all the water just blows off, and the wide wheel base is really stable. It corners like a BMW. I love it!

Turbo, heated seats, peppy as hell!