2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Love my used bug
By cy on 01/10/10 15:55 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well this is my first VW I swore I would never buy or drive a bug, but I love my bug. I got real lucky I found her in the newspaper one owner a folder of her records oil was always changed on time, new timing belt, brakes, water pump new sensors all leather int stick turbo heated seats mirrors, only thing is high miles all highway 20,000, but with all the new parts and its in mint I jumped on it for $2,300 cash I replaced the cat did the work my self ordered one on line and the clutch, so I have like a new car, I love her shes good to me to, to everyone that had problems sorry maybe your car was made on a fri or mon, they say those are bad days so don't buy a car that was made on that day, thanx

Fast easy riding and driving Fun Bug
By zcarid on 08/24/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

Each year the GLX has pleased us with the performance on long trips averaging 2500 miles. Cruises easily at highway speeds between 80 and 100 mph. Will go a lot faster but so will the police. Quick responsive steering and at end of long days feel like we have been treated to an easy ride. Visibility is great all around. Acceleration with the Turbo is a real safety feature in itself. Have had a few problems all easily fixed by family mechanic. Not a fan of dealer maintenance who seem to be way too expensive and eager to replace assemblies when an adjustment or a minor part is all that is needed.

Cute, but flaky
By Katherine on 12/19/08 11:22 AM (PST)

I've had the car over five years, after buying it used in 2003. Within 18 months, the alternator went out and had to be replaced, the clutch went out at 16,000 miles and had to be replaced (believe me, I do not ride the clutch THAT hard), the hoses had to be replaced twice, and the power windows both had to be replaced. Later, the blinkers and cruise control failed and had to be replaced (though it was always fun to flip the blinker switch and see what would happen. It would blink in some pretty spectacular random patterns, until it was fixed). It handles surprisingly well in the snow, but due to the myriad electrical and mechanical issues - I will not be buying a VW ever again.

Style versus Quality
By jrainer on 11/30/07 07:05 AM (PST)

My wife wanted a beetle ever since they released the new version. We bought a certified used, so had a warranty on it which has come in handy. Don't buy a Beetle without a warranty! We had 2 or 3 warranty repairs that would have been $400 or more. Now that it's out of warranty, we've spent about $1,500 on repairs that are quality issues, from leaking cooling systems to exhaust pipe cracks to window motors. The interior looks stylish but cheap and is cheap. The armrest, mirror adjust switch, and a cup holder are broken. Sun visors are worthless; back seat folds down to an odd and annoying position; glove box is too small.

So fun it's crazy...
By BugBot on 09/12/07 14:30 PM (PDT)

This car is so fun to drive. The turbo rocks - people expect you to putter along because you're in a bug and you leave them in the dust every time. It's incredible in bad weather. Right after I bought it, I was driving in a downpour that was so bad that people were pulling over and I didn't even need the wipers! The windshield is like an airplane and all the water just blows off, and the wide wheel base is really stable. It corners like a BMW. I love it!

I Wouldn't Recommend This Car
By j blackhall on 10/25/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

Though I love the looks and the "feel" of this car, I have had nothing but problems with it, mostly due to the electrical system. Within the last month I have had to drop approximately $2000 into repairs and the car only has $82,500 miles. I would not recommend this car to anyone!

Great fun, excellent performance
By Bob Ellenson on 12/01/05 15:45 PM (PST)

We recently purchased our Volkswagen Beetle GLX having previously driven a GLS for only a few months. What a world of difference! The interior is much nicer (leather, etc) and car just feels “tighter.” The seats are very comfortable and come with individual heaters (not that we need them much in Florida). The controls are easy to use and there is plenty of headroom and legroom (I have to scoot the seat forward and I am 6’2”). The GLS had some “trim” problems (door latch, light bulbs, etc) but the GLX has none of that. Last but not least is the performance with the turbo. The car flat gets out of the hole when you want it to. Add to all that the fluorescent green color and you have one fun car.

Nice looking but at a price
By nohoguy on 08/04/05 19:58 PM (PDT)

Bought the car because I liked the styling, the handling and the turbo engine. These good things about the car are lost in the inconvenience this car has brought me. Since I got this car four years ago, I have had five lightbulbs blow out - two in the headlights, two in the console and one taillight. The armrest has broken twice. Both power windows have malfunctioned. Plastic shielding has fallen out of the moonroof twice, one time falling on my shoulder. Worst of all, my ac failed right in the middle of summer, for my ac problem I went to an ac specialist who tested my ac for $0 while the dealership in Santa Monica wanted to test it for $200. No joke, these cars are very unreliable.

My Best VW Yet!
By David Pearson on 06/28/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

I bought a 2001 Turbo New Beetle in October 2000 as soon as 2001 model came out and paid top dollar as there were no discounts. I have had the car almost 5 years and it has been the best new VW I have had - only 2 very minor problems with the electric locks & a dash light. Both problems were fixed right away without agrument. I have moved a few times so I have gone to 6 different dealers with a minimum of problems. The car is great, fun to drive, great looking and still gets a lot of stares. I would agree that the cup holders aren't good for tall drinks but I do not use them much. The car is great in the snow as I ski and take it to Canada, the only improvement - All Wheel Drive!

I must have gotten the good one...
By Stan Balog on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GLX "Sport" limited edition bought in 9/2002. In contrast to 90% of the reviews here, I have never had anything go wrong with this car. Not one thing. Three years of perfect servitude. My dealer could suck; I wouldn't know. Beefed up the turbo with a performance chip - this thing is an Audi TT with more headroom (6'2") but with a mushier suspension for those hard turns. Bought this as a winter car to complement my C5 Corvette, and it's held its own. Checked out this place to see whether to buy as it's going off-lease- all these other reviews made me think that I got lucky (maybe that's the 'limited edition' part?