Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL
By Dana Ostrom

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Our beautiful blue Jetta has 31000 miles on it. The whole time we have owned it, we've had only one recall, and it was fixed promptly. We had the light switch in the trunk go out and Fowler VW fixed it within 2 hours. This car rides so smooth on the freeway with no engine noise coming into the cab. As a matter of fact, we were going up Raton pass to Denver last year and didn't even realize we were doing 125 mph. Still no engine or road noise inside. The one thing in this car that sold the car was the lumbar support. The car was for my wife so she had to be satisfied. We drove the Jetta, a Corrolla, a Sonata and a Mini. The only requirement I had was 4 doors. The only thing I would say that needs to be changed on the VW's made in Mexico is the turn signals in back. This is supposed to be a world-class car. The turn signals should be amber as they are when made in Germany. Mexican VW's have red turn signals. As of Sept., 2016, there are STILL no problems with our Jetta. I have never been more pleased with a car that I have purchased new. When I go to buy another car, I may try to find another 2013 Jetta because I like the 5-cylinder engine.

Had the car for about 2 years and some change.
By Jesse Vail

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I get a lot of complements on the look of the car and passengers love the heated leather seats here in upstate NY. Only have had 1 issue so far and that was a bad crank position sensor which caused the car to jolt and stall while driving with no check engine light, went to dealer and was told "Unfortunately you're going to have to drive it until a light comes on" which kind of sucked considering my pregnant girlfriend rides in the car and it stalls leaving is short handed as far as power steering and hydrolic brakes. Other than that I LOVE the Fender Sound System, it sounds amazing. Tons of trunk space. Fun to drive and navigation has yet to leave me stranded! That's a plus.

75K needs new timing belt
By Lawrence

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof, Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Be careful when looking at this car or you will end up like me. I bought this car new for the very reason I was looking for a car that can hold up to high mileage. Well what a mistake I made. The car has 75K miles on it now and the dealer says the timing chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. The dealer could not give me a reason why this happened. They did say that some screen came loose and jammed into the tension pulley of the timing chain and deprived it of oil. They told me that they have had others in with the same problem. The extended warranty people are fighting paying for the repair. The dealer could not give me a reason why this happened The repair is $2900. Not at all what I expected from a VW. It is sad that they do not back their cars. No reason for this to have happen

I love my jetta!
By trevsta18

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first VW. I have owned an X5 and two mini coopers. I have had my jetta 2.5 manual for 2 years. I am at 46k and i haven't had too many issues other than constantly battling the tire pressure light and regular maintainance. Ive noticed my breaks starting to squeak, the paint on the front bumper began to chip at 10k. I have white with tan interior and i constantly get compliments from co-workers and bosses that ride in it. They are also impressed when i whip it around a corner. I have achieved 43 mpg in my 2.5 SE. Overall i am impressed but small things like the front bumper paint shouldn't chip so easily.

5 speed, big buttons and 10k per oil change

The dash is cheap plastic and they should offer a panoramic sunroof

Great car! Second Jetta owned.
By d_vegas

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the second Jetta we owned and bought new. The first was a 2004 diesel that we traded at 224,000 miles. We decided not to get the diesel this time because we are driving less. This car averages 35 mpg on the freeway! We are very happy with the car. No mechanical issues, drives great, comfortable to sit in.

Exterior has clean lines and we like the ground effect package on our car. Looks sporty. Great MPG for an average gas car. The triptronic transmission (goes between auto and a modified stick shift without the clutch), is helpful when climbing hills. Good trunk size for a smaller car. Like the fold down cup holder/arm rest in the back seat. Bigger than our previous Jetta and more comfortable. Bluetooth for the cell phone to come over the radio. We like that we have a 2.5 litter 4 cylinder engine. Our last Jetta was a turbo and when that breaks, the car barely moves. It's nice to not have to worry about that. Three years maintenance included.

The interior plastic accents that look like metal are too shiny; the newer models look more matte. The regular interior plastic is not that high quality. The seats are leatherette, which is not like regular leather, but they have texture and are comfortable. Climbing hills can be cumbersome and it would be nice to have more torque or horsepower. The windshield is very slanted and seems to angle the sun on the driver.