Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Great car! Second Jetta owned.
By d_vegas

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the second Jetta we owned and bought new. The first was a 2004 diesel that we traded at 224,000 miles. We decided not to get the diesel this time because we are driving less. This car averages 35 mpg on the freeway! We are very happy with the car. No mechanical issues, drives great, comfortable to sit in.

Favorite Features

Exterior has clean lines and we like the ground effect package on our car. Looks sporty. Great MPG for an average gas car. The triptronic transmission (goes between auto and a modified stick shift without the clutch), is helpful when climbing hills. Good trunk size for a smaller car. Like the fold down cup holder/arm rest in the back seat. Bigger than our previous Jetta and more comfortable. Bluetooth for the cell phone to come over the radio. We like that we have a 2.5 litter 4 cylinder engine. Our last Jetta was a turbo and when that breaks, the car barely moves. It's nice to not have to worry about that. Three years maintenance included.

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastic accents that look like metal are too shiny; the newer models look more matte. The regular interior plastic is not that high quality. The seats are leatherette, which is not like regular leather, but they have texture and are comfortable. Climbing hills can be cumbersome and it would be nice to have more torque or horsepower. The windshield is very slanted and seems to angle the sun on the driver.

1 year old and literally falling apart
By trevsta18

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Oh jeez where do I start?! First of all, I have owned this car for a year now. 30k. Falling apart. The front bumper paint is coming off, the tires that came on the car are crap. I am constantly resetting the tire pressure light, it's faulty or something. Headlights gone bad, center armrest is ripping and now, I have to get the engine mounts replaced after they charged me for the alignment and tire balance which they said would fix the shaking on the freeway. Are you kidding me?! It's a brand new car and the engine mounts are bad?? This is ridiculous and the first/last VW I buy.

Favorite Features

I like the looks, it's a cute car

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and quality

Business-like
By rpauls

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE with 4,000 miles on it four months ago and it now has 15,000 miles. I work as an outside salesperson and was looking for a car that would get great gas mileage and still have some style. I did not have a Jetta in mind, but the mileage and price were both right, so I test drove it and to my surprise liked it a lot despite it being fairly vanilla on the style front. After four months, this car represents who I am very well, a business man. The looks are nice and clean. Not too boring, but not extroverted. The ride is generally compliant, quite nice on the interstate but very firm on rough pavement. Impressed with the highway mileage which has been 37 mpg.

Favorite Features

The best feature to me, of all things, is the steering wheel. It is just the right diameter, has a chuncky padded leather covering and is comfortable all day every day. The seats are a close second. The leatherette seats are very comfortable, look very much like a lower grade genuine leather and easy to keep clean. I like the ability to choose regular drive, sport mode and triptronic shifting. When accelerating on to the interstate, the sport mode gives a little extra "oomph" and the triptronic mode is good for fun every so often. Regular drive mode, of course, is best for gas mileage. The trunk is spacious, too. Higher than expected hwy gas mileage has been great.

Suggested Improvements

The major improvement appears to have been addressed in most 2014 trims and it is cornering. The "fun to drive" factor when taking turns at anything more than slightly above average speeds puts a little fear in you. Maybe the base tires have something to do with it. The radio is as odd of one as I have ever had. Two FM stations sound wonderful and the rest sound sub-par at best. I live in Milwaukee, so it is not like I am listening to stations where reception is an issue. I guess the way a radio station sends its signal greatly affects the sound quality.

Great so far
By kristin124

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've only had my 2013 Jetta SEL for two months, but it's been pretty great so far. I like that it's got a sporty look inside and out, and I like the leather interior. The acceleration is pretty good for 170HP and the ride is smooth overall. My main complaints are some cheap aspects of the interior - for the price I paid and having the premium trim line, I can't believe it doesn't have power seat adjustment. Also, to tilt the chair back, you have to pump this plastic pedal up and down (tacky). Also, even when you move the front seats all the way back, there isn't enough leg room for tall people over 6 feet. Not much head room for tall people either. Could have designed that better!

Favorite Features

Sleek looking interior, sporty look, decent acceleration, handles the road well, fun to drive, the blue tooth capability of synching your phone with the car.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic/power seat adjustment. Allow the front seats to move back farther for tall people. More head room for tall people. Better mileage. The touch-screen radio looks cool but is kind of a pain to use and program.

So disappointed at quality of VW.
By juyeop

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought VW jetta 2013 SE automatic about two months ago and it has been nightmare driving the car with so many flaws. First of all, about two weeks ago, the car just stalled out in the middle of the road when I was driving 40 miles per hour. Did I get into an accident because of that? almost. Nearest dealership towed my car and had a look at it, but what they said was there was no problem found, so you need to drive with it. Second issue I'm having right now is grinding sound and from when gear changes. I've never had this experience from my previous car that I drove for two years. Last but not least, steering wheel has been off-centered since it came out of dealership. Don't buy VW jetta!!