2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
47,305 of 47,316 people found this review helpful
Surprisingly poor driving car
By dm3 on 04/15/13 21:09 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The 6 speed auto transmission is one of the most unresponsive that I have ever driven. The engine is underpowered. Throttle response is not smooth. Initially the car does nothing then surges. The transmission is too reluctant to downshift making for a frustrating drive. The transmission downshifts much too slowly. Mash the throttle and I sometimes forget that I've done it as the seconds count down (2-3 seconds). That can be dangerous is you try to jump lanes. Interior feels unusually cheap for a VW. No cup holders in the rear. No cruise control. Rear view mirror can obstruct.

Early Impressions - All positive
By TheMagicTiki on 04/01/13 08:39 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was looking for a small commuter car that, while reasonably priced, had a bit of style and personality for the daily commute. While some excel in certain areas, nothing else we test drove had the same combination of features, and style that this Jetta has. After two weeks of ownership, we are very pleased so far. Plenty of interior room for adults (or big kids) in the front/back seat. Rides & responds like a solid German car should. Great torque and acceleration (I'll give up the 2-3 MPG for that over others in the class). SEL adds some great creature comforts. Sure, it's not a BMW... but it is close enough to stand out as a cut above the class of economy appliances in this segment.

Good car with great space.
By ecwhite on 12/01/12 05:17 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Prod. End 4/13 (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a big car for its class but needs the 2.5 litre to make it work. The 5 speed manual transmission seems too tall in an attempt to gain fuel mileage. An extra gear in the manual gear box is needed to bring some life to it. The space is off the charts compared to any competitor which is a big asset when you have a family to fit in the back seat and luggage in the trunk. The Civic and Elantra might win the "fun" category but the space, quiet ride and solid road performance in weather trump the fun factor for me. It is not a TDI (my previous car was a '05 Jetta TDI before the moose destroyed it) and if you can afford it, go with the TDI. The TDI is a Santa bag of fun with crazy torque!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan in VA is:

$163 per month*