2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TDI 52 mpg
By rp4042 on 09/20/13 15:17 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car on July 30 2013 and wish I had bought it sooner. I love this vehicle. the only gripe I have is the odometer is not constantly displayed in the speedometer, rather you have to page through a display screen to read it. Volkswagen claims 42mpg on the highway ' but I get 52 mpg with 60% highway and 40% city driving' as long as you keep the rpm's below 2,000 rpm's. this is with the automated manual transmission. my best for those conditions was 55.4 mpg. as far as some people saying the interior looks cheap I beg the differ it is not flashy like some other cars but certainly not cheap. this car is a joy to drive on winding roads.

Love my 2013 TDI!
By ellerman99 on 09/14/13 16:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Have only had it for 2 weeks and 700 kms (Canadian) but I love this car! Upgraded the 18' VW Khartoum wheels so it has a nice sporty look, ride comfort is great and so far fuel mileage has been great! All around a perfect car for me, I'll be doing about 3,000 KM a month. Performance is surprising for a TDI, although I have never owned one, I've heard in the past they were sluggish, not this, once the turbo kicks in it does pretty good!

2013.5 Jetta TDI
By hlisle on 08/21/13 18:13 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Great car for distance travelling. I have put nearly 4,000 miles in almost 2 months... No problems - and have enjoyed the the car overall...

Made in Mexico CRAP! Do not buy!!
By jreed10 on 05/17/13 18:06 PM (PDT)

I purchased my Jetta TDI nearly 4 months ago (Jan. 21), and loved it at first, but it has rapidly begun to fall apart already. The navigation system is an utterly useless waste of money, the "premium" Fender sound system develops so many vibrations that one cannot even enjoy listening to music, and the door panels started rattling while driving, after less than 2 months of ownership, so I can't even enjoy driving the car anymore. It's a shame, because the fuel economy and powertrain are both fantastic, but overall, I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy. I have grown to hate it that much. VW won't even stand behind their product and make it right. Don't waste your money.

Fun and Stylish MPGs
By jmmeeks on 05/13/13 19:35 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The manual TDI is fun to drive, and gets great mpg. EPA's city mpg is about right - I get 29-32 mpgs on my commute (suburban + city streets, 16 mi. each way). On the highway, though, I usually get 48 mpg. The interior leans high-end - seat warmers, speaker phone, and the spots you actually touch while driving (arm rests, steering wheel, turn signal) have a soft feel. The top of the console extends to an arm rest wide enough for both driver and passenger. The Fender speakers are fantastic, but the iPhone interface can be prickly. When my phone is connected via the media cord, the system sometimes gets confused between that connection and Bluetooth.

So far so good!
By coachbrain on 02/09/13 12:43 PM (PST)

Reluctantly traded in my Nissan Frontier for this car and had some buyer's remorse when I left the dealership. That has quickly changed when I got close to 600 miles on my first full tank. Everything I've read about the TDI indicates they get better mileage than what they're rated for by the EPA and this seems to be true. I had bought my truck to haul all my kid's sports equipment to and from games and practices before I took a new job that requires lots of travel. Ironically I traded a Jetta 2.5-S for the Frontier and now I find myself driving a Jetta again! This time around, the trunk is roomier than the previous one. I am able to fit a large softball equipment bad, a bucket of

Great Overall Fuel Saver!
By emotionalrat15 on 01/24/13 13:16 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought this car in November of 2012 and optioned it with Bluetooth, RCD-510 Touch Screen radio and a sunroof. I love it! Its a great city car, however it needs to have lots of highway miles due to its DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) not burning the soot properly in city conditions,so it clogs up. That was when my mom had it for a week when I was gone and when I stepped into it a warning light came on that it was clogged. I phoned VW and they said drive it on the highway for a few miles and the light will go out. And so it did. I get 46 mpg combined, its a blast to drive, but it needs a bout 20 more hp when merging at freeway speeds. But going slower, there is gobs of torque! I love it!