2012 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual w/Sunroof Consumer Review - Why so many bad reviews?

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

S Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual w/Sunroof)

Why so many bad reviews?
By vic40 on

2012 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't understand why there are so many complaints about the New Jetta. After looking at everything, I settled on the smartly priced Jetta S with Sunroof and manual trans. Admittedly, it's no speed merchant, but it does just fine, has no trouble keeping up, and returns decent mileage in the process. I just don't see how you can look at most of the direct competition and find the Jetta lacking. The Americans are either too small (Fiesta and Sonic) or more expensive (Focus and Cruze). The Japanese competitors are just crappy. Complaints about the Jetta's interior??? Seen a Civic lately? Yikes! And perhaps most importantly, all 6'3" of me fits in the Jetta with room to spare in back.

Favorite Features

Price was right: I paid $16,669 for a Jetta S with roof, manual, winter mats and 1st aid kit. The list was $18,703. If you're in North Ohio, go to Medina VW. Features are adequate: Power moonroof with VW's signature dial a position, comfort seat with lumbar, power windows and locks, cruise, heated mirros, etc. Mine also came with rear disc brakes which it's not supposed to. It's not supposed to have the comfort seat either, but it does. This car also has tons of space, front and rear. I can't put the seat all the way back and still push in the clutch, which reflects an amount of space in this car that is unique to the market. The apparent build quality is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Needs: Bluetooth and heated seats most notably. I like to drive, so I have to say an extra 30-40 hp would be nice, but it really is just fine for my purposes, which is primarily a highway commute.