Golf Highline Wagon TDI Standard Transmission
By tomsimmonds on
2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
Fantastic car. Tons of power especially bottom end out of the hole grunt. Very quiet, no smoke, no smell. Highway cruising not affected by crosswinds. No wind noise. A small amount of road noise which I suspect is caused by the Bridgestone tires but who knows. I purchased four snows on rims so we shall see if road noise is any different. HVAC very efficient and fast to warm up and cool down. If you are over six feet and tall in the torso you wont fit in this car very well. Once you get in it's alright but good luck getting in and out.
Favorite Features
Headlights/Highbeams fantastic coverage and distance. Comfort. Standard transmission is flawless and clutch is very easy on the hip and knees. All power windows auto up and down. Radio controls GPS great. The car is fully loaded except for power seats which has yet to be offered. Too bad it doesn't have backup sensors as my other vehicle did. I've grown to rely on that safety feature and miss it already as I nearly ran over my dog who is blind and deaf and likes to sleep on the driveway behind my car. Oh well, maybe someday.
Suggested Improvements
I don't like the HVAC controls as I find the character stops small and hard to see/read. Of course, once I get used to the car this will become second nature. A small problem arose on a night where the temp cooled down. When I got into the car and fired it up I noticed that the centre console display was flashing. Even when I turned the engine off it still remained the same. When I started it up again and drove off the flashing was still going on and the foot well lights stayed on dim. Of course, no one at VW had ever heard of this happening before, well maybe they should read the internet complaints about this. It's been going on for ten years now!!
By fellcolor
on 10/05/11 20:34 PM (PDT)

6'6" and while it's not the easiest car to get in and out of, I haven't driven or tested a car that left me with more room in the cabin.