Used 2012 Toyota Prius One Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

as advertised, and a bit better.
By Sam

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a 2012 Prius 6 months ago, and I've put about 8000 miles on it. Observations:

Very good in bad weather. It's heavy, with a 4 cyl engine, electric motor, and battery pack over the rear wheels. Stable. Driving on hilly roads with sleet coming down and cars going off left and right, I never lost grip. Felt very secure. Wife drives a Nissan Pathfinder, and the Prius is better on snow (less clearance, of course).

There's a BIG difference in MPG if you drive 65 or 75. I can average over 50 on my 45 mile highway commute (rather hilly) if I drive 65. I average less than 45 if I drive much over 70.

The Prius is much louder at higher speeds. At 65, it's not too loud, and it's pretty peaceful. I have the upgraded JBL stereo, and it covers up the noise. Speed up another 10 miles an hour, and the road noise and wind noise is significant. Headache loud.

So, if you are willing to drive 65 and get passed a lot, the car will treat you better. And I timed it, by the way: I save about 3-5 minutes by going 10 miles an hour faster, on average. Not worth it, to me.

Goes up hills much easier than I thought it would. Not at all gutsy, but gets the job done. Engine drones in most unpleasant manner under hard acceleration . . . almost as if Toyota purposefully tuned it to sound ugly so as to encourage me to not floor it.

MPG is as advertised, around 50. In town, if I drive carefully, I can get much more--up to 70. Then, though, I'm probably irritating people behind me. But it's fun to try to keep the gas engine off for as much as possible.

2012 Prius w/ Solar roof
By kb4email@gmail.com

Needs a little design rework
By solarweis

It's not a bad little car, we call it our "road rat", I use it as a commuter car mainly on the highway.
I've expressed concerns with the steering wheel not being straight while going down a straight road, about it pulling and having to hold pressure on the steering wheel to keep it going straight, Toyota says the car is fine.
I don't agree, I don't want to exercise the entire time I'm in the car driving. It wears out the edge of the left tire, it took a while, but both front and rear exhibit the same problem, due to tire rotations.
New tires and alignment indicate the rear Toe is out of spec, but it's not adjustable. The engine is noisy when your trying to speed up, it roars, so strange.

It gets great gas mileage averaging around 53 MPG. If traffic is bad, I can move along at 20 mph plus or minus 10 and the mileage goes up nicely !! I like the entry feature to touch the handle and opening all the doors. USB connection is good, but it's in the bottom of the center console, not easy to get too.

Do something to reduce the road noise. Change the steering wheel so you don't have to two vertical columns at the bottom. Not a smooth transition for turning the wheel with you figures, it pitches them. The center console is to close or something, my elbow is always hitting it and the cup holder is a terrible place, it's like the perfect position for hitting my funny bone and very uncomfortable as an arm rest while driving with the edge of the cup holder digging into the elbow all the time. Please fix the rear alignment problems, tires are expensive, I shouldn't have to rig up a shim to fix Toe-In/Out problems, make it adjustable, make it right the first time and verify it's right.