Used 2012 Toyota Prius One Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Needs a little design rework
By solarweis

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's not a bad little car, we call it our "road rat", I use it as a commuter car mainly on the highway. I've expressed concerns with the steering wheel not being straight while going down a straight road, about it pulling and having to hold pressure on the steering wheel to keep it going straight, Toyota says the car is fine. I don't agree, I don't want to exercise the entire time I'm in the car driving. It wears out the edge of the left tire, it took a while, but both front and rear exhibit the same problem, due to tire rotations. New tires and alignment indicate the rear Toe is out of spec, but it's not adjustable. The engine is noisy when your trying to speed up, it roars, so strange.

Favorite Features

It gets great gas mileage averaging around 53 MPG. If traffic is bad, I can move along at 20 mph plus or minus 10 and the mileage goes up nicely !! I like the entry feature to touch the handle and opening all the doors. USB connection is good, but it's in the bottom of the center console, not easy to get too.

Suggested Improvements

Do something to reduce the road noise. Change the steering wheel so you don't have to two vertical columns at the bottom. Not a smooth transition for turning the wheel with you figures, it pitches them. The center console is to close or something, my elbow is always hitting it and the cup holder is a terrible place, it's like the perfect position for hitting my funny bone and very uncomfortable as an arm rest while driving with the edge of the cup holder digging into the elbow all the time. Please fix the rear alignment problems, tires are expensive, I shouldn't have to rig up a shim to fix Toe-In/Out problems, make it adjustable, make it right the first time and verify it's right.