Used 2003 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great vehicle =, even as a used car
By Don Birkel

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great reliable vehicle with very good acceleration, great road feel. The Avalon is a very comfortable car that you can rely on.

Original Owner for 12+ years/ 300 thousand miles
By Ed DeMaio

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Greatest purchase of a lifetime! This car has survived a family of 4, both my son and my daughter have driven many miles with this vehicle. The rims are aluminum and did not fair well when driven into curbs. My son (20) was able to blow the sub-woofer and destroy the transmission at 180 thousand miles. Only recently has the engine light gone on for the catalytic converter. The car will drive 419 miles on a full tank of gas before the low gas warning light is lit. Today when I drive this car I drive for over 2 hours with the full confidence had when I bought this car brand new during January 2003.

Reliable where it counts and nowhere else
By Casey

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, I really like my '03 Avalon, but there are some quirks that do need to be stated. The subwoofer in the rear is very low quality. I was already not a fan of the sound system that this car came with but after 2 weeks of owning it, I decided to max out the the volume to see how it handled and ended up blowing the subwoofer. Turns out that this is a very common problem for all Toyotas that have this JBL system in it. They dry rot in the sun and weekend very quickly. When this happens, I would recommend just buying a 50 watt sub that's 4 ohms and 8" in diameter because the stock sub cost around $280 online and a complete ripoff. They're hard to fine but do exist. Another very common problem is that the windshield wiper motor will go out unexpectedly. You will know when it happens because it won't take the wiper back down to the "park" position when you turn them off. I just got a quote from my local dealer and it will cost $487 to fix that. Finally, trying to maintain this car in your driveway is a pain. It's nearly impossible to get to the oil filter with just a floor jack. Oil changes for me cost around $40 to have my local shop do it. This is a great car for someone that prefers to take it to a shop whenever something needs done. If you would rather maintain it yourself, I'd look at something else.

Reliable road partner.
By r_k

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are third owner of this car, we knew the second owner who kept this car really well. The only thing we've done so far is change timing belt, water pump and fluid wash. Runs like a dream and currently giving me a mixed mileage of 26 mpg. We love the robust build of the car, road handling. The opening of trunk is big and we've had no issues in carrying large grocery bags and a small wagon which always stays in it. The back seat is roomy and has large space for 4 people to sit. I like the drive of this car and will recommend it to anyone looking for luxury at the same time reliable car.

Love the dashboard and large font size display of temp, average, Date, Time, compass etc. Cruise control, wooden grain, big seats, leather quality, sun roof, front and back hand rest, power plug in the back side of center console, temperature, three layered (Tape, 6 CD player, A/C controls). High quality design per the year of manufacturing.

This is 11 year old car and have no grudges, the only wish item is the audio jack but in 2003 I guess it wasn't a must in cars. Can't complain.

Best car I have ever owned or driven.
By soundcrafter

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With 170,000 miles and not a single problem I can say I picked a winner. It drives like a dream on it's Michelin tires. I get 26-30 mpg highway. I love the rounded curved dash and display. I do hate looking at the cassette tape deck (it reminds me that I am getting older and soon will someday be obsolete). I keep wanting to replace it with something new, but other new cars can't match it's ride. I test drove the 2014 Mercedes, new Avalon, Lexus, infinity, BMW... The only car I liked better than the Avalon was the Audi A8 at $65,000. I will keep this car until it literally falls apart. Update: I now have 217,000 miles and still love the car and have had no problems except the recall on the airbags. Running strong and smooth.