2003 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Endless comfort and solidity
By olderage on 12/03/11 20:05 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 140k my Avalon seems like it will endure for many more years and miles. Unusual maintenance includes a steering bracket assembly and a failed subwoofer. Also, the driver's seat cushion has collapsed and the airbag light comes on intermittently. The car whooshes to speed, is dead quiet, and has expansive room on the inside. The gas mileage is not great (avg. 22 in mixed driving), but this is a large auto and its substantial feel makes me want to keep it forever. The styling is distinct and operating costs are very low. After driving an Avalon, it becomes difficult to settle for lesser cars.

Couldn't Be Happier
By seddy83 on 01/19/10 21:04 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car. I only intended on keeping it for a few years but I love it too much not to keep it in my family. I have not experienced any maintenance issues. Since I purchased the vehicle, I've only had to do regular maintenance like oil changes, tires rotated, new wiper blades, etc. The only draw back to the car is that a cassette player came stock even though I have premium JBL speakers. Good thing I could swap it out with one that I can link my iPod to.

Low cost comfort
By Wayne on 01/19/10 10:40 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car 5 years old and 77000 miles for $10,000, much cheaper than new. It is very comfortable on long trips, a very quiet and smooth ride. Good gas mileage. My wife felt the looks needed some pizazz, so I bought a spoiler online and had a bodyshop paint and install it for her birthday present. It adds a lot of character. A few months later, I bought a 2003 Lexus ES 300 and driving one car is almost like driving the other, although the Lexus has a few more amenities. I am absolutely sold on Toyota quality and dependability, after owning 4 GM cars and one Dodge.

The Best Car Out There!! Period
By ERazor on 12/02/09 20:05 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I buy them used and I replaced my 1995 Avalon with a 2003 Avalon. I will replace this one with another. If it ever wears out that is. They are the best cars that I have ever owned.

A Lexus without the price tag.
By jrw225 on 03/24/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Avalon has been the best car I have ever owned. I have had it more than a year now and bought it used but still have had no problems. It is smooth, luxurious, and every day I drive it I find myself surprised by one of the Avalon's many features. Someone put great thought into designing this car from the automatic wipers to the 110 power plug this car is perfect. I get 21 mpg on average but it is worth the extra $2 a week to drive such a fantastic piece of machinery. I'm 26 and thought this car was an 'old man car' but after driving it I will not drive anything else. Thanks Toyota!

Great investment
By thomas hoehn on 02/21/09 13:43 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Over 100,000 and runs great, over 80,000 on the Michelin tires. Starts up every time. Great ride and lots of room in trunk and interior easy to maintain without nickle and dimeing you to death.

60,000 miles later
By kmmowe on 11/15/08 11:45 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No problems in 5 years/60,000 miles except warranty issue on the horn assembly (horn would go off intermittently). Dealer replaced air bag assembly in steering wheel and that solved the problem. OEM battery lasted 3 years

2003 Toyota Avalon
By BLH on 03/26/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Exceptionally comfortable and functionally includes everything, but lacks excitement. Still gets great gas milage.

Great for the family
By Brian on 06/03/07 10:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a one of a kind vehicle. Either you could go for something flashy or go for something cheap, but the Avalon is a solid, yet comfortable automobile. I use it as my work car and you can't beat the ride. I'm glad that Toyota updated the looks since 2003. That was the only drawback of the older models. Overall, it's a great car.

Cream puff
By jp tang on 05/17/07 10:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Extremely quiet running and is very comfortable and very reliable. An excellent car.