Used 2013 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Tesla Model S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Model S model:
Great drivetrai + beta software
By evdriver1 on 10/20/14 21:57 PM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I own 2013 model 85 that has 17k miles on it. Great drivetrain, power and handling. Interior is good but not on par with Germans. Quality of materials and assembly probably like Volvo. 2014 models may be better. Fortunately Tesla have been fixing squeks, creaks and leaks. Drive unit developed whine, replaced. Sunroof seals replaced. Glovebox stuck, replaced. Software is hit and miss, feels like perpetual beta. Service center is useless if issue is in software. 4.x was OK. 5.0 - garage opener started to work every other time.some next version fixed it. 5.11 randomly rebooted. 5.12 seemed stable. 6.0 added calendar which doesnt sync with iphone 6. Make sure you read forums and blog comments.

Best Car I Have Owned
By sanfraned on 02/16/14 11:15 AM (PST)

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I very seldom write reviews, but after reading a couple of lousy reviews about the Tesla S, I feel compelled to do so. And by the way, I own a Tesla S. I didn't just borrow it for a week and my views are about the car, not about what I wish or about the stock market. I have had the fortune of being able to own some awesome cars over the last 20 years. Mercedes SL600, E55, S55, SL63, Nissan GTR, Porsche Turbo, Bentley Silver Spur, and the Tesla S. All great cars. Without a doubt, this is the most amazing car I have driven. It is a technology marvel, a power monster, and incredible fun to drive. It is reliable, inexpensive to run and soooo quiet. So great not to have to buy gas

Base model: same rocket, smaller boosters
By thranx on 02/08/14 15:22 PM (PST)

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

Beats every car in town except a Tesla P85. Sports car, family sedan, and small SUV all in one. Available coved rubber mats allow safe storage of liquids in trunk. mini-USB drive holding tons of classical music plays through the car's system exactly as it would on my desktop or laptop...same file system, everything. Pano roof gives feeling of being in a convertible.

A game changer!
By richard_d on 10/17/13 17:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

Well, add me to the long list of people that switched from a high performance ICE vehicle to a Tesla. I had the new 2012 Porsche 911S, which is a great car in its own right. However, the instant torque and acceleration of the Tesla is something you need to experience to understand. With no gears to shift, the acceleration is smooth and endless. The suspension on the P85+ keeps the car flat while cornering, but somehow manages to provide a comfortable ride at the same time. The touch screen is beautiful and works very well. We were going to get an Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne for my wife, but we now have the Tesla Model X SUV on order!

Excellent performance, utility and efficiency
By fluxemag on 10/08/13 08:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I rationalized buying such an expensive car based on $3000 a year gas savings, $500 a year registration savings and maintenance savings. I chose reasonable options like leather, the pano roof and the sound system with the never-produced 40kWh battery. So I am one of the few people who got the 60kWh battery for the price of the 40 (albeit with a software limitation). The car is just as fast as the G37 was, seats 5 adults very comfortably, is twice as efficient as a Prius and has tons of cargo space. The design of the interior and exterior is beautifully done. It does get slightly annoying to drive such a high profile vehicle because that's all anyone wants to talk about.

Best car I've ever owned.
By jimb32 on 09/21/13 17:42 PM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I've driven the Mercedes CLS 63 AMG for four years. With 66,000 miles on it, I was informed the intake manifold was cracked. No explanation how it could have happened. I decided to spend my money on the Tesla S. It has been the most fun I've ever had in a car. It's quick, responsive, and I've already saved over $1,000 in gas. No emissions, I plug into my house charger and it charges an hour or two when I get home. My electric bill is up $15 bucks a month. I've had a few questions, and I've taken my car back into the service center once. The guys at Tesla are amazing, friendly, and efficient.

Great car
By dannj1 on 08/11/13 13:42 PM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I own one an am blown away by it. It is truly an amazing game changing car. This car actually has better performance than a Maserati and it just feels fast. Front seats are comfortable, back seats from my passengers, they have plenty of room. I went with the P85 so I did go a tad overboard, BUT I would put it on par with a Porsche Panamera, BUT with no gas, The interior is sleek, had many compliments on the exterior. When you close the doors it's "beefy", very well built. So far, no issues, have 7800 miles on it

Great Car - Wish I could afford a second!
By josh_b on 07/24/13 08:04 AM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

Hi everyone, Like you I was skeptical at first that an EV could be as enjoyable to drive as one with an ICE and as green as described. I can now say that after 14,000 trouble free kilometeres and no issues, my 'S has been all of the above and more. I have hauled four people and their equipment around all day, driven all over southern Ontario without issue or anxiety and saved countless tanks of gas from being burned. (I drive a lot.) It's great to see technology, but moreso great to see technology implemented smartly. (Not just for its own sake.) The car is reliable and a joy to drive!

Ouch... Be careful here.
By twosmalltowns on 07/15/13 17:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I've been driving an S off & on for a few weeks (company got one as part of investor PR.) There are several concerns/problems: car is very heavy, and this will soon be a problem for suspension and tires on the bumpy, pot-holed roads. Secondly, the interior while "different" and kinda cool, is a bit cheap in some ways; the large touchscreen control center is Dangerous: having no buttons/knobs means you are staring at the screen and not on the road.) Most importantly, Tesla is a stock play, not a car company. All the hype is carefully orchestrated to build market cap. Be careful - and assume that they are smarter than you. Because they probably are.

this is something you need to consider before you buy
By amazinggrace on 06/30/13 17:27 PM (PDT)

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

my husband accidentally spilled the cooler inside the car after he hit the break, and the car just stopped in the middle of the road. the car was totally dead (was embarrassed as a lot of people that drove by knew it was a Tesla ~___~ and waved at me) and waited 2hrs for the roadside assistant to arrive. the next day the Costa Mesa service center called, and they were willing to change the connectors that had water damage for us for free, I WAS HAPPY THAT TESLA WOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS ISSUE AS I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD BECAUSE THIS IS NOT SOMETHING UNCOMMON TO HAVE IT HAPPENED INSIDE OF A CAR, WHO DOES NOT HAVE A COOLER? AND WHO DOES NOT CARRY WATER IN THE CAR?