Used 2013 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Model S model:

Tesla model S flawed design
By solarguy888

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I took delivery of my Tesla85 1 month ago and it is a highly flawed design especially the large touch screen , it would be great to know the figures on how many Tesla model s cars have been involved in accidents i will guarantee it is higher than the average what ever that may be ,needless to say I contacted Tesla with my concerns on 4 separate occassions and have heard nothing, great customer service, this car cost $130000 in Australia .It will be interesting to see in the near future whether they persist with this touch screen but if enough safety authorities get hold of this design flaw it could mean a recall what would that cost.

none

Re design is needed they have missed a huge market sector with the over the top tech ,we have an aging population who all eventually will be on some kind of fixed income pension annuity etc they have the money to purchase and obviously a car that requires minimum expense when it comes to fuel and servicing would fulfill this niche .Wake up Elon not everyone is 35 years old and walks around bumping into people because they can't take their eyes of their iphone.

Great drivetrai + beta software
By evdriver1

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I own 2013 model 85 that has 17k miles on it. Great drivetrain, power and handling. Interior is good but not on par with Germans. Quality of materials and assembly probably like Volvo. 2014 models may be better. Fortunately Tesla have been fixing squeks, creaks and leaks. Drive unit developed whine, replaced. Sunroof seals replaced. Glovebox stuck, replaced. Software is hit and miss, feels like perpetual beta. Service center is useless if issue is in software. 4.x was OK. 5.0 - garage opener started to work every other time.some next version fixed it. 5.11 randomly rebooted. 5.12 seemed stable. 6.0 added calendar which doesnt sync with iphone 6. Make sure you read forums and blog comments.

Electric drive, power, handling, exterior look.

Make software stable, it is a luxury car not a computer wi $49 application. New features are nice but please make sure they actually work and dont break existing features.

Best Car I Have Owned
By sanfraned

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I very seldom write reviews, but after reading a couple of lousy reviews about the Tesla S, I feel compelled to do so. And by the way, I own a Tesla S. I didn't just borrow it for a week and my views are about the car, not about what I wish or about the stock market. I have had the fortune of being able to own some awesome cars over the last 20 years. Mercedes SL600, E55, S55, SL63, Nissan GTR, Porsche Turbo, Bentley Silver Spur, and the Tesla S. All great cars. Without a doubt, this is the most amazing car I have driven. It is a technology marvel, a power monster, and incredible fun to drive. It is reliable, inexpensive to run and soooo quiet. So great not to have to buy gas

The large screen is not a distraction at all, it is the command center for the car. The functions are intuitive or very easy to learn and the navigation system is one of the easiest to use. The interior is consistent with the car, very sporty, comfortable and not cheap at all. The ability to open or close the car, warm up or cool down the interior, or always see the location of the car from a remote location, all on your phone or tablet is awesome. The car is software driven, so many features or performance changes are made through downloads directly to the car. And now with the supercharger stations, I can go coast to coast, or from Seattle to Los Angeles free.

A 4 wheel drive Model S would be great for those trips to the ski mountains in the winter

Base model: same rocket, smaller boosters
By thranx

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

Beats every car in town except a Tesla P85. Sports car, family sedan, and small SUV all in one. Available coved rubber mats allow safe storage of liquids in trunk. mini-USB drive holding tons of classical music plays through the car's system exactly as it would on my desktop or laptop...same file system, everything. Pano roof gives feeling of being in a convertible.

Acceleration, ability to switch views on both center console and dash console, enormous cargo space, instant electric heat in cold weather, ability to keep HD rear camera on-screen while driving, ability to integrate with all functions of iPhone. The...quiet...!

Motorized closing latch for frunk is a must retrofit that is so far not available. Lighted vanity visors. Front seat rear storage pouches (coming via 2nd source, I believe). Better trunk and frunk lighting.

A game changer!
By richard_d

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

Well, add me to the long list of people that switched from a high performance ICE vehicle to a Tesla. I had the new 2012 Porsche 911S, which is a great car in its own right. However, the instant torque and acceleration of the Tesla is something you need to experience to understand. With no gears to shift, the acceleration is smooth and endless. The suspension on the P85+ keeps the car flat while cornering, but somehow manages to provide a comfortable ride at the same time. The touch screen is beautiful and works very well. We were going to get an Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne for my wife, but we now have the Tesla Model X SUV on order!

Pre-heating or cooling the car from my phone. Refueling every night from the convenience of my garage, at a fraction of what it costs to fuel an ICE vehicle. Incredible storage space. Wireless updates from the factory that constantly add new features.

Sportier seats with more lumbar support during hard cornering. All wheel drive version, which rumor has it will be arriving at some point.