Used 2009 Suzuki SX4 Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Suzuki SX4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SX4 model:

Amazing Value
By Jay

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Touring Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Suzuki vehicle. I owned a '02 Passat before, and wanted a more reliable & newer vehicle. However I didn't want to give up too many features. After test driving the SX4, I instantly became a fan. I love the small size of the car. Very easy to park and fun to drive. The AWD is outstanding in the snow. Love that it can be turned off to save fuel. Exterior design is unique & looks very European. The cloth seats are much more comfortable than the leather in my Passat. Road & engine noise are somewhat intrusive. Interior is comprised of hard plastics, however they have a high quality texture. The SX4's engine is sufficient for a 4-cyl. I'm obtaining around 25 mpg overall

Unexpected extras like: Heated front seats, heated side mirrors, automatic climate control, keyless starting, navigation, bluetooth, ESP (electronic stability program), 9 speaker audio system w/ subwoofer, i-AWD system. Fuel economy, turning radius, compact exterior but surprisingly roomy interior.

Disable daytime running lights!! Transmission could use a 5th gear. However, the auto transmission was changed to a CVT for the 2010 model year. Engine could be slightly quieter. My car has developed a speaker rattle & glove box rattle with only 12,000 miles on it.

I LOVE my little black rocket!
By Rob Merz

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback w/Nav (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was quite torn as to what to buy. I looked at the KIA Soul, the MItsubishi Eclipse, the Subaru legacy, and the Suzuki sx4. First, let's prface this with, I know the eclipse is a whole different type of car. The Soul was very nice, drove nice, and had lots of options, but was just a bit too funky for my taste. the Subarus are nice too, but for far less money i was able to get the AWD suzuki. I fell in love with it at first sight! Mine has custom leather interior, carbon graphite accents, body moldings and custom wheels, so it looks different from the run of the mill Suzuki, but even the plain version is a kick to drive! I've had it for over a week, and still look forward to driving it!

GPS, Ipod attachment, steering wheel controls, all wheel drive (a MUST after this winter!!!!)customized!(WAY TO GO Wright.nicely done!) good sounding audio, Red instrumentation at night,easy to read gauges, easy to find knobs/switches. Nice sized cargo area-I fit BOTH my sons and my hockey bags

6 speed in '10 a nice upgrade, mp3 dock/input standard, more available customized accessories available, high end sport model-like the WRX

Overall good
By Jon

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback w/Technology Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2.5 mile commute and get 21 mpg overall. Handled great in the snow this winter. 3600 miles on it so far and working good. I had to replace one tire for a nail in the side wall and that cost $138 with taxes and fees.

Radio and GPS

Aux input for the radio. Larger gas tank and better gas mileage.

Pleasant surprise & fun!
By crossover sx4

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Technology Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Came upon the sx4 by accident at a car max. Asked to drive one, was so impressed by the build , quality, responsiveness, very maneuverible, very fun to drive. Love the hatchback, you sit high looking over most cars, great visibility, had rails on top, got optional bike racks,very high quality at fraction of the cost of leading car tops. Looks sharp, have had so many compliments on this car. Upholstrey is comfortable, very supportive, fit and finish are very good. Love driving the stick, smooth shifting. Temp.gauge ,time and mpg display very visible. Beautiful red lighting at night, easy on eyes. The pop up navigation system is so convenient, works immediately, blue tooth connection, and MP3.

Pop up navigation, visible in sunlight, so convenient and easy and fast unlike complicated slow units built into most cars. High seating, wheel controls, hatch, folding seats 40/60 or flip again for total storage in back! Great visibility, very fun to drive! Very roomy, a 6'6" guy can fit .

Increase gas mileage , maybe with direct injection engine.

SX4 Upshift Nightmare
By Dodger

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback w/Technology Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy an SX4 Crossover with manual shift!! When I test drove this car I noticed an odd tendency to over- rev when shifting up through the gears but put it down to my unfamiliarity with the car or to the engine being cold. I have driven stick shift cars for the last 35 years and was confident that a slight adjustment in driving style would avoid any issues. How wrong I was! The SX4 has a bizarre electronic throttle linkage that unpredictably decides to rev the engine in between gears when upshifting and no amount of adjustment in style can reliably avoid over-re