2009 smart fortwo passion coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2009 fortwo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Sort Reviews by

Simply a blast to drive!
By franktracy

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought the 2009 smart passion coupe in September of this year. It drives great on the freeways here in Southern California, including the 10, 605, 57, 60, and 15. It handles great in all lanes and is no problem next to big rigs or in the wind. Also I have never replaced shocks on any car I have ever owned. I have always enjoyed the true feel of the road. This car fits that perfectly. I never drive it in automatic, only in manual mode. It's a heck of a lot of fun to drive, and seats are extremely comfortable. I recently took a bunch of stuff to a local thrift store. The guy unloading it was amazed at how much this little car would hold. I'm 6'5" and I've got plenty of head and leg space.

Favorite Features

There are so many but my favorites include: the ledge on the dash. I've never before seen a car with a ledge. It's great for laying down pens, pencils smartphone, etc. And it looks awesome! Other great features are: power steering, the brake pedal look and feel, gps, iPhone calling, heated seats, slider for sun roof, and the conversations it starts. And one big one - in the 80's I had a manual transmission, but always hoped that someone would come out with a car that didn't have a clutch pedal. Smart did that and also added the steering wheel paddles, hill assist and a floor shifter that is light and changed the way I think about shifters. Also, I love how much room is freed up in my garage.

Suggested Improvements

Spare tire (although the tires on my smart are top of the line - quite expensive), and offer the diesel version in the U.S. Right now I'm averaging about 44 mpg, but it would be great to get the 60-85 mpg that I here the diesel gets. Also, easier access to the battery would be nice.

What a great little car
By sampbris

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned many many vehicles in my 62 years and this is the first car ever that I have kept for over two years. I have enjoyed my smart for almost 4 years now. I have never had a problem with the car. When I bought it I had a Mercedes ML550 and a Toyota truck...I soon found that I didn't enjoy driving either one of those anymore (especially the "repair hungry" Mercedes) and I sold them....the smart has been my only vehicle since and the car has remained solid, reliable, economical and fun. Everyone wants to know about it and you can never get gas without ending up in a conversation about it. The outer finish never gets nicks or stone chips and looks as good as the day I bought it.

2 year old smart passion
By mech_pe

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Best car I have owned for commuting to work. Fun to drive like a go-cart. My wife loves to drive it on the weekend. Roomy with upright seating like a pickup. Flying rocks will not dent the car. 10,000 miles between oil changes. Gas mileage consistant 42 mpg in Minneapolis. Worst was 38 mpg in the deep slushy snow plus warming up in driveway. My commute is freeway at 80mph to downtown congestion at 60 miles per day. Easy to park and manuever. Some states allow straight into the curb (no parrallel) and sharing of parking spaces with a motorcycle or two smart cars. Plastic panels resist rust and you can change the car's color in about 4 hours. Very tough little car with good acceleration.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Plastic changable body panels all around. Cheap on gas!!!! CONSISTANT 42 mpg. 320 miles at 7.5 gal. (Not like my friends with their hybrids that get 49 in the city but 26 on the highway.) Comfortable seating, easy access. Will not spin out on ice. Enough space to haul groceries and some 8 foot 2X4 boards. When stopped on a hill and you release the brake, it stays on for 1 second while you put your foot on the accelerator. It won't roll backwards. Cheap annual tune-ups. Great workhorse.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts like someone driving a manual. Takes about two weeks to not feel it. Rough ride compared to a luxury car. Similar to a truck or motorcycle. High crosswinds may bother you, unless you have flown an airplane; then it is just fun. Like bad weather is for most guys! Only room for two. You'll need another car for the family or a truck to haul with.

Great CITY car
By BRokicki

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just bought a 4 month old 2009 with 1500 miles for a MB dealership that used it as a loaner car. After driving 5 hours back home I was impressed, this little guy keeps up with traffic just fine, cross winds at highway speeds (75 mph) are not fun, so slow down over bridges. I bought the car mainly for parking in NYC. I can fit it every where! My Smart doesn't have power steering, it's fine for me but you do have to put a bit of muscle into it when parking in a small spot, once the car is moving, there is no difference. It has 2K miles and there are already some rattles, not good! Only buy this car if you live in a congested area, or you only want 1 passenger!

Favorite Features

Parking, pano roof, mpg, it has much more cargo room than you think! It's so much fun driving in the city.

Suggested Improvements

No spare tire! The transmission should be a real 5spd or a real automatic, it takes some getting used to. Passenger side should have grab handles.

Smart all around
By Bruno the Smart

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my Smart Passion. I traded my BMW 5 series in for a Smart car friends and family all called me crazy but I turned 18 and had to start paying for things on my own. This is my only car and I do a lot of driving City, Highway and suburbs daily. I love my Smart and love driving it. I do wish it did a little better on gas but compared to the BMW it rocks. Having a two seater really is not a big deal and there is plenty of storage space. The car handles great and parking is never a problem. I love all the looks and comments I get and I love the design of the car. Overall I would recommend it to any one!

Favorite Features

MP3 jack, Huge Moon Roof, great handling, Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG

New Smart Car
By Ron Valkenburg

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just purchased my Smart car yesterday, so far I love it. I traded in my 2004 Toyota Prius with 190,000 miles. I loved the 2010 Prius but could not see spending $32k for a new one. After looking around, the Smart car was my answer, similar mileage as my Prius. I have to get used to some changes like no integrated GPS or Bluetooth but there are other options for that. So far I am loving my Smart, tomorrow will be my first highway commute and I am looking forward to it.

Favorite Features

See through roof, simple maintenance, body panel replacement options, paddle shifters, overall style of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control, heads-up display, integrated NAV not a 3rd party install.

Can't Compare - MORE FUN than Disneyland
By DP of Palmdale

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The dealer went over every page in manual and every detail with me. Disregard reviewer that says it doesn't come with a manual. Transmission is very fun, but like no other - if you try to drive this car like any other car you will either hate it or become frustrated - key is to understand this car is special, but it is very reliable!! I commute 45 miles each way to work, driving through the Angeles Forest Highway - a two lane highway that has many hills and curves. I average 37-38 MPG driving in automatic mode without using the paddles. What I LOVE most - how it waits patiently in the parking lot for me to take it home at the end of each day, makes me giggle every time!

Favorite Features

I love how it shifts. It is actually a manual transmission with no clutch pedal - but, it has a automatic shifter so my head bobs like I am shifting a stick but my hands don't leave the wheel. It get so many looks on every drive and makes others laugh and smile and me, too. It's really fun !

Suggested Improvements

The radio needs to be upgraded to show more info about the station and song you're are listening to because it has plenty of room on the LCD screen. Also, it needs to have a handle mounted above the passenger door - many folks think they need to hold on, so they don't bump the driver on curves.

Most fun car ever, take it everywhere
By tcfrank

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is solid, fun to drive and great in the snow - with engine over the driven wheels and traction control. It's so much fun to drive that I have sold my BMW motorcycle in favor of this car. My wife and I take the car everywhere and can ALWAYS find a parking spot that nobody else can get in! The transmission in full auto mode does take a little getting used to, but the paddle shifters are available to give you what you want when you want it if you don't like the auto shift program.

Favorite Features

See through roof, very easy getting in and out, tall seating position -- nearly as tall as an SUV, great visibility, light tossable feel, solid chassis and body feel; tremendous fuel economy, my wife and I have been averaging 45 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Quicker responding auto shift program

Great City Commuter Car
By Juniorswa

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Have owned this car for a little while now and I have to say I love it! I'm averaging 35 mpg using automatic mode and a/c in city traffic. Insurance rates are low and the smart gets a lot of attention. The interior is very roomy and comfortable. Inside it feels like any other car. My last car was a Mazda Miata, so the interior is very comfortable and the ride is very quiet to me. The hatchback trunk is also really great! I too was initially afraid when I first purchased my smart, but this car really grows on you quickly. This is my first European car as I have only owned Japanese brands until now: Mazda, Toyota, and Honda. The Mercedes-Benz service at the dealer has been fantastic!

Favorite Features

Panoramic roof, outside temperature gauge, gas mileage, able to change color of car easily, safety features, alloy wheels, interior design, iPod hook up, easy to park, automatic air conditioning, hatchback/tailgate, paddle shifters, strong bright headlights, leather steering wheel and shift knob.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel engine option, cruise control, center arm rest (should be standard), tilt steering wheel, seat height adjustment, other leather color options besides black (red or beige perhaps?). Bose sound system option! (My old car had this and it's the one thing I REALLY miss!)

Ex TDI Volkswagen owner
By MarkyMarkVW

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I bought this SmartCar on a whim. I've ALWAYS driven Volkswagens..from GLI VR6's to TDI's to Vanagons. I'd NEVER--read NEVER own a VW Again. the cars are ok but the repairs are pricey. I bought this SmartCar as a toy. It's turned into a great car. It will run 80 flat out, get 40mpg, park on the sidewalk and fits on my patio. I love it. Transmission is funky but gets the job done. I DRIVE BIG RIGS...I know size. This car is built. I feel safer in this car than my Freightliner. I'm buying a new one next year. LOVE IT. LOVE IT.

Favorite Features

Size, durability, flexibility, parkability, and personality, Cruise control would be nice. More dealers. Or independents.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel. DIESEL. DIESEL.