Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Great Car
By its_pacmang6

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 Saturn SL1 with the 1.9l five speed. the car sat for two years after hitting a tree and bending the frame a bit, and after two years of sitting in the weeds and snow(and no passenger window), I put plexiglass in the window changed oil and brakes and the car runs great. I bought it for a work car so Im not gunna put a lotta money in it. I know its oly got 113k but there is absolutely no leaks, its not a car to brag about but it is very reliable and gets great gas mileage.

outstanding car
By jstout1331

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

i bought this my 1999 SL1 for a measly 500 dollars with 200,000 miles on it... it was sopposed to be temporary. ha! now with nearly 300,000 miles on it i cant think of a reason to get rid of it. the darn thing gets 40+ MPG its pretty comfortable for a little car, and im 6 foot 5!!! the only things we have had to fix were the water pump (20 bucks), a pulley tensioner (40 bucks), and a valve cover gasket (8 bucks) this car is great. ive had many cars, not one this reliable!! kudos Saturn, its a shame GM got rid of you and left Buick still standing

Favorite Features

fuel economy

Bought new and still have 13 years later!
By jdavi25

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99' SL2 at 18 years old. It has been the best car! It fits me like a glove. The gas mileage has always been close, or above 40 MPG. The car is spoiled. It has all proper maintenance performed, and the car looks great inside and out. The paint has started to fade only on the rear spoiler. I am thinking of having that touched up. I do have the sunroof option, and the drains need to be cleaned once a year so they do not clog and cause leaking. I have had to replace the speakers, one power window motor, and the alternator all after the 10 year mark. When it came time to make the repairs I really did not feel bad because the car never gave me any trouble before.

Favorite Features

The leather interior that requires care, but is still looking nice. I love the manual trans. It is hard to find a fully loaded car with a manual now days. My seats are very comfortable. The #1 best feature......the polymer panels that are dent resistant as well as rust proof! Another reason my car still looks great! I bought a 2007 Saturn Vue when I found out Saturn was not going to be using this material after 07'. (My wife drives that vehicle) Other people complement the car, and thinks it is much newer then it is. I have always had tinted windows on the car. I had them re-tinted a fews years ago. I feel it helped protect the interior from the sun. Traction control! LOVE IT!

Suggested Improvements

I know it will not happen, but bring Saturn and the S series cars back!!! I planned on driving S series cars the rest of my life. I am doing my best to keep my car new, but wish I could buy a new one again! So with that said.....no reason to wish, or request improvements when no one will be able to do anything. Huge mistake that 2002 was the last year for this model. I will continue to drive my car I live very close to work, and bike sometimes so I only have 96k on the car. I now drive it about 2k a year in nice weather. No plans to get rid of it. I am happy driving it another 13 years! I am happy to get behind the wheel of this car!!!

Best-Quality American-Made Car of the Late '90s!
By skeetervt

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Saturn SL1 -- used -- in September 2002. It had just over 31,000 miles on it at the time. Nearly nine years and over 186,000 miles later, I won't part with it until it finally dies -- or I die, whichever comes first. Even today, with more than 217,000 miles on it, my Saturn still runs very smoothly. And aside from the usual parts replacements you'd expect to have as your car ages (brake pads, battery, shocks & struts, spark plugs and, of course, tires), it has never had a major mechanical failure. As far as I'm concerned, the 1999-2002 Saturn SL1 and SL2 were the best-quality cars that Saturn's Spring Hill, Tennessee plant ever produced.

A good, if not exceptional, sedan
By landric

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought a SL2 new in early 1999. I went with the 5-Speed manual with a power package, ABS with traction control, alloy wheels, and the AM/FM cassette w/EQ. Overall, I had a good experience with the car. It was reasonably fun to drive, got excellent fuel mileage; 40 MPG on the highway regularly, and I never had a problem. When I had to replace the tires at about 40k I got slightly wider 60 series (rather than the stock 65 series) tires and that improved handling significantly. The manual shifted crisply and the engine was happy at higher RPMs. I put 68k miles on the car in 3 years and traded it on a new 2002 Mazda Protege ES, which was a much better car for about the same price.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, smooth shifting manual transmission, totally reliable for the 3 years/68k miles I owned the car, and reasonably priced with the options I wanted. I bought the Saturn over a number of imports because I really wanted to buy American. I was happy with the car overall, and I don't regret the purchase. I really liked the fact that the engine had a timing chain rather than a belt, no costly replacement necessary at about 60k. If I found a SL2 manual for the right price in decent shape now, I'd consider it for a back and forth to work daily driver.

Suggested Improvements

I did not like the location of the power window controls between the seats and the front seats lacked support and didn't go back far enough for me to be really comfortable on long drives, for someone taller than my 6 feet, this car would probably be a no-go. The change from rear discs to rear drums on the 99 was not an improvement, and the stock 65 series tires lacked grip, making the car less fun to drive than it could have been. The ABS/traction control was optional, and I had a hard time finding a manual transmission car so equiped, so I had to settle for a second choice color. ABS should be standard on all vehicles.