Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Love my Saturn. Great value.
By MIKE

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I needed a dependable work car that got good gas mileage since I drive a lot. I bought my SL2 with 103K miles 3.5 years ago and now it has 231K. It still runs perfectly and think it should hit 300K miles. I was skeptical buying the car because of height (I'm 6'2") and size of the car. Not an issue at all. Not much off the line acceleration but lots of power for highway driving. I really love my Saturn. Cost of ownership is very low. The parts are cheap and lots of resources online for the doit youselfer( did all the repairs myself). Best part is the car averages 33-37 mpg combined, even at 230k miles. I will be sad to see it go when the day comes.

Great used car. 4 years 150k miles later
By cody ross

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought it for 4k flat title included used at 70k miles flat. 4 years later at 150k miles and even hit a deer. All it required was a 150 dollar bumper and headlight replacement and oil changes and various other little basic needs over the course. No major fixes. No major problems. Small issues include power locks dying. Air conditiong dying. Lock broke on driver door. But not something i care about. I recommend this as a cheap moving point a point b location car.

Great Car
By its_pacmang6

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 Saturn SL1 with the 1.9l five speed. the car sat for two years after hitting a tree and bending the frame a bit, and after two years of sitting in the weeds and snow(and no passenger window), I put plexiglass in the window changed oil and brakes and the car runs great. I bought it for a work car so Im not gunna put a lotta money in it. I know its oly got 113k but there is absolutely no leaks, its not a car to brag about but it is very reliable and gets great gas mileage.

outstanding car
By jstout1331

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

i bought this my 1999 SL1 for a measly 500 dollars with 200,000 miles on it... it was sopposed to be temporary. ha! now with nearly 300,000 miles on it i cant think of a reason to get rid of it. the darn thing gets 40+ MPG its pretty comfortable for a little car, and im 6 foot 5!!! the only things we have had to fix were the water pump (20 bucks), a pulley tensioner (40 bucks), and a valve cover gasket (8 bucks) this car is great. ive had many cars, not one this reliable!! kudos Saturn, its a shame GM got rid of you and left Buick still standing

fuel economy

Bought new and still have 13 years later!
By jdavi25

1999 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99' SL2 at 18 years old. It has been the best car! It fits me like a glove. The gas mileage has always been close, or above 40 MPG. The car is spoiled. It has all proper maintenance performed, and the car looks great inside and out. The paint has started to fade only on the rear spoiler. I am thinking of having that touched up. I do have the sunroof option, and the drains need to be cleaned once a year so they do not clog and cause leaking. I have had to replace the speakers, one power window motor, and the alternator all after the 10 year mark. When it came time to make the repairs I really did not feel bad because the car never gave me any trouble before.

The leather interior that requires care, but is still looking nice. I love the manual trans. It is hard to find a fully loaded car with a manual now days. My seats are very comfortable. The #1 best feature......the polymer panels that are dent resistant as well as rust proof! Another reason my car still looks great! I bought a 2007 Saturn Vue when I found out Saturn was not going to be using this material after 07'. (My wife drives that vehicle) Other people complement the car, and thinks it is much newer then it is. I have always had tinted windows on the car. I had them re-tinted a fews years ago. I feel it helped protect the interior from the sun. Traction control! LOVE IT!

I know it will not happen, but bring Saturn and the S series cars back!!! I planned on driving S series cars the rest of my life. I am doing my best to keep my car new, but wish I could buy a new one again! So with that said.....no reason to wish, or request improvements when no one will be able to do anything. Huge mistake that 2002 was the last year for this model. I will continue to drive my car I live very close to work, and bike sometimes so I only have 96k on the car. I now drive it about 2k a year in nice weather. No plans to get rid of it. I am happy driving it another 13 years! I am happy to get behind the wheel of this car!!!