Used 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Rust Never Sleeps
By Warner

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck and until now, I had been happy with my purchase. The left rear fender well is showing signs of rust bubbling through the paint. This sort of failure takes months to show itself. My truck ran out of rust-through warranty March of '15. This rust was discovered in December of '15 - a bubble the size of a pencil eraser. It had to have been in play back when I was still under warranty. I maintained this truck to a crazy level of detail. Washed and detailed no less than twice monthly. Still looks new. Except for the bubble on the fender.Called Chrysler, took to their local dealer for photos by the body shop, all their geniuses in Michigan looked at it and said no help with the repair. Hiding behind the warranty without any effort to retain goodwill with a 2-time Chrysler/Ram customer. Their caustic response has lit my fuse. No more Mopars for me, and I WILL dissuade anyone I can from buying Mopar. I am done with these losers. I'm sure Toyota will like my business.

After 3 years, still a good truck, but a few flaws
By gianofan

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn Edition 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

After 3 years of owning this truck and putting 44k miles on it, I thought I share a few thoughts. First of all, this remains a very good truck overall and I'm still happy with it. That said, I'm eyeing a new 2014 or 15 Longhorn and considering a trade. This is primarily due to the new 8 gear transmission. The 2011 had only the 5 gear, and there is a huge performance difference between them (which I realized after a test drive of a 2014 model recently). There are also a number of other nice new features in the newer models....

RamBox and spray-in bed liner. Powerful Hemi engine. Interior design and finishes, including Longhorn seats and leather. Roomy interior, including back seat area. Overall look of the truck. Rear floor board storage.

The only gripes that I have with this vehicle are: 1. There is a really annoying rattle that developed about 1.5 years ago inside the dash, just left of the steering wheel. I have no idea what it is and 2 visits to the dealership to fix it have resulted in no proper fix. It drives me batty. 2. The fuel economy isn't stellar, and I am a pretty tame driver. I don't accelerate like crazy and I don't usually drive fast. I average 15 or so in city, and 17 or so if on interstate for a while. 3. Road noise has increased over time. Part of this may be due to the wear on my tires (but I rotate them on schedule)?? 4. Radio system has malfunctioned a few times, requiring software updates

75k and going
By mrish

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm just now hitting 75k miles on my 11' Outdoorsman.
It has been completely reliable to date.
No issues to report at all.
the only thing I've done is change the oil, air filter, and plugs.
Which by the way, has to be changed every 30k miles and there are 16 of them.
I have a 30' travel trailer that weighs in at 6400# and it tows it great.
I use it as my daily driver and it is absolutely comfortable.
MPG is about 17, mostly interstate.

Towing capability, comfortable ride, gas mileage, handling, looks. I

I purchase the Outdoorsman which isn't offered with leather, I wish I got the Laramie with the leather. RAMBOX lids are stating to fade. I like the MDS feature, but it can get annoying at times.

Love it, Hate it
By mmacht

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

The performance, comfort, and looks of the truck are amazing.
The coil springs and small bed limit real hauling if your truck is actually a truck.
Service departments are horrible.
A defective tire turned into a battle.
Since I bought it water has leaked into the cab and I'm being told that's normal.
Over 7 efforts have been made to repair it and I'm now filing a lemon claim on it.
Apparently, the water issue is a problem for Ram with people all over the internet trying to band-aid the issue.
My dealership has told me to stop washing my truck.
I'm not sure how they'll handle a response to the rain.

The engine and looks are amazing. I love the interior design although the stock radio that I have is old looking and the UConnect system is frustrating at best. The acceleration of this thing is off the chain!

The cabin needs to be made water tight on these trucks. I'd also like to see the "eco" mode kick in up until a higher rpm (this is a complaint most of the die-hard Ram truck owners disagree with me on). The sheetmetal has been thinned out significantly, probably in an effort to save weight and it makes the truck fairly susceptible to body damage. My stock headlights were too dim for me, so I bought some new ones and replaced them. Apparently, Chrysler thought that should be a long process that requires removing the front grill.

Engine Failure @ 16000
By jfwill82

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my ram new in july 2011. Up until recently it has been perfect. It has 16064 miles on it and the check engine light came on but i didnt notice any performance issues. I took it to the dealership to get scheduled in and they hooked it up to the computer and said it was only a missfire. I kept driving my truck and it only got worse. Loud knocking and backfiring and missing and valve noise. I took it back to the shop and they actually did a little bit of diagnostics on it and found the cylinder head had broke where the rocker shaft bolts to it. I have also had a grinding noise when losing traction when braking.