Used 2004 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

2004 Grand Am 2.2 4cyl 4A
By bpeters1

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 3 months now and have put a little over 3,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 98,000 miles on it. So far I've had no problems with it. The 4cyl engine suits this car well, but sometimes seems reluctant to downshift. It has absolutely zero power at low RPM. The gas mileage I get is exactly as listed at 27 MPG. Love the way the car handles. The interior (especially light switches) are obviously cheaply made, and often pop in and out of their slots.

Exterior looks. Decent gas mileage.

Interior quality sucks.

My 2004 Grand AM
By fl41

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my last car. It served me well. Wasn't exactly the best car I ever had though. Head gasket went on it shortly after I bought it (used). My aunt bought me a remote starter for it. Wich the car was not to reliable with. Every time I used the remote, I would have to check to see if the car actually started or not. All lights (running lights ect.) gave an indication that it did start, but the engine did otherwise. It would however start every time with the key (sometime a rough start). It was surprisingly good in the snow even with cheap black label tires. I will admit, it never left me stranded any where. I would not recommend this car for a tall person.

Looks. Fun to drive. Great in the snow even being the base model ( no traction control)

More reliable stereo system ( wouldn't always eject the cd) This is after replacing the first base model cd player. Both were certified Pontiac cd players.

Great car
By steven90

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 01 grand am se 3.4L and a 04 grand am gt ram air 3.4L 95k miles. the 01 has 185,000 miles and still runs like brand new. never any problems. just replaced normal maintenance stuff like struts, front hub bearings. other then that no prob's whatsoever. brakes lasted just over 3yrs before needed replaced. i tow a trailer also with the 01 sometimes. has original tran's also. both are great cars.

A very very dependable car with no problems what so ever. runs and drives like the day it drove off the assembly line.

none

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4 cyl (Automatic)
By teh_banditto

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Frankly, I do not believe the negative commenters, I have had mine for 14 months, and it has been a very reliable vehicle, granted I have ran into some rarely occuring transaxle problems, otherwise it's a strong, car with a peppy motor

Styling, performance, bang for the buck

good
By ford4life94

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

all the people who complain about security issues with this car just need to cut the little tiny yellow wire that goes to the ignition and there will never be another issue with starting it again. its a simple and free fix. you just have to find the bundle of 3 little tiny wires and cut yellow one. seriously people dont complain about something that you can fix so easily. never had any issues with anything else other than brakes and starter which will need to be replaced in any vehicle eventually

• SUV