Used 1999 Pontiac Firebird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

1999 Pontiac Firebird

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Love it!
By firebirdemt

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

In 2007, I was looking for a camaro as I had had a 1973, 1978, and 1989 in the past and loved them. Then I saw the red T/A sitting at a buick dealer. A 1999 with only 34,000 miles on it. T-tops, leather power seats with power lumbar support, auto-trans, 10 speaker cd stereo, I was in heaven! I love that when you tromp on it, it plants you back in the seat and the tires chirp in the first 3 gears even when you leave the trans in Drive. She is beautiful. As for repairs, I have had to replace one head light motor, one power window motor, two modules, and for some reason, multiple turn signal bulbs. I try to keep the milage down, but I love to drive it so it now has 65,000 miles. I adore my t/a.

Favorite Features

Handling is awesome, and you can feel the road. Lots of raw power. Looks fast and beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

Seems to have an electrical problem as it keeps blowing out turn signal bulbs.

1999 3.8L V6 automatic
By abcizdaman

1999 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I just recently went on a road trip from the Hi-Desert, CA to both Phoenix and Prescott, AZ. The care handles very nicely and is fun to drive. The only thing is it made my back sore after driving 300 miles. It's not really a car built for comfort, especially for a tall person like me who's pushing 6'3". It has awesome styling and pretty good acceleration for a V6. It gets alot of head turns, especially at night with its stylish headlights. Without any additions it tops out at 118 to 119mph. I'm sure with a supercharger and/or turbo it would max out around 130 to 150mph. I'm just guessing though. It comes standard with a crappy stereo system that has alot of issues. I changed it out

Favorite Features

Awesome styling, above average acceleration for a V6

Suggested Improvements

One should change out the stereo. I bought a installation kit with the cheapest JVC at Walmart, and the system sounds/works great now! It's not the most reliable vehicle as you have to provide alot of maintenance to it unless you treat it with extra care/caution. Still, it's a fun car to have/drive, and you do get alot of head turns/compliments.

It's a hand grenade!
By OLDMANBOB

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

It was fun to drive but it's a rattle trap piece of junk. What hasn't been replaced or fixed? You name it. The rear end bearings have been done twice and third gear just disappeared. Doors sag, locks jam, wiper motor went, have replaced all rotors the fronts twice, calipers replaced, cat is rattling, sway bar links replaced, as it gets older everything is loosening up exponentially (spelling on that one?). the motor is starting to knock a bit in cold weather (sounds like a rod) and I use Synthetic Oil only. Looks nice and goes fast but wasn't made for the long haul. If your looking at one over 100K run RUN!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Pontiac isn't around anymore. Quality control might have been an issue.

Lots of Work
By Cruzincool

1999 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I owned a 1997 Firebird before I bought this one and sold it with 167k and never had a single issue out of it, so naturally I bought another one. This one has been nothing but a headache. After having the vehicle for a week, my check engine light came on. Misfire due to bent valve and my automatic tensioner was bad. $1300 to fix. Three weeks later, car started running rough, then not at all. I had to replace all three coil packs and ignition module. Chrome rims had some sort of defect where they would not hold air, so I had to buy another set. Then yesterday it started the same rough running as before. Also, the electrical systems randomly quit operating and turn signals burn out in 2 days.

Favorite Features

Powerful for a V6. Love the looks I get when driving around. When it runs, it runs great.

Suggested Improvements

Fix electrical systems.

Unique in all the right ways
By AufMitterSpiel

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I had a choice between this car and a 964 Porsche and chose this because of it's raw nature. It demands a great level of skill and respect to drive fast, and I felt up to the challenge. The Borg-Warner T-56 is a beast of a shift and the live rear axle keeps me 'focused' in mid-apex. But it all makes sense once you have kept up with a Ferrari 360 down the PCH and he pulls up next to you in disbelief...priceless.

Favorite Features

Everything. You have to be American to understand it, though.

Suggested Improvements

None. Wish the new Camaro was still this raw.