Used 2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Great and then Dead
By imok02

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I hadn't heard anything bad about an Alero when my mechanic tried to sell one to me. It was an '02 and I didn't have a single problem with it for 3 years. I lived on a steep, unpaved road and the car got me up even in snow. Then the check engine light was on and it started choking on it's own oxygen intact and emissions problems and now it sits not able to pass inspection. So, you be the judge: is a 2002 supposed to live past 11 years and 155000 miles? It was fine and now dead.

Favorite Features

I actually thought the seats were comfortable.

2002 Olds Alero
By japorter11

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Alero a few months ago with 72k miles on it. Solid engine, no problems thus far. Have replaced passenger side window motor, vinyl on the dash was already cracked. Decent car for the money. Uncommon tire size(225/55/16) expensive to replace.

Favorite Features

The auto adjusting stereo volume. Volume increases with speed to compensate for wind/engine noise.

Suggested Improvements

More common tire size, More fuel efficient or more powerful engine. Current engines are just in a dead zone between both. Better, higher quality interior materials. More reliable electronics (sensors, audio).

A good first car, does have some known issues.
By n8ech

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We have two Alero's in our family. Our daughter drives an 01, and I just pickes up an 02 for our son. The Alero is a decent sized comfortable car with quite a few amenties for the money. We paid $4800 for the 01 with 74k 1 owner, and $3700 for the 02 with 55k one owner as well I should add the 02 has some hail damage and needed the lower intake gasket replaced. Both have leather and a power driver seat. Given a choice, the 3.4L V6 is the better engine even considering the gasket issue. I am getting 30 mpg highway

Favorite Features

The stereo is decent for OEM, and the 02 has the Monsoon system which is even better. Our 01 does not have the suroof or the spoiler on the trunk, but the 02 does. If you are tall, the sunroof does take away a little head room.

Suggested Improvements

Noted issues are the intake manifold gaskets, the turn signals, and the ignition switch. I do not like the fact that the trans does not have a dip stick. The manual says no need to check it unless there is an issue. The intake repair will cost you $800-$1200 unless you can DIY. The turn signals go through the red emergency flasher switch in middle of dash. Replace switch for $25 and prob solved. The starting issue revolves around the ign switch, You can replace it (expensive), bypass it, or wait the 10 min and then drive away. The chrome 16" wheels are also known to not seal well around the bead. This is cured by sealer applied by a tire shop.

Junk
By sharon

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used to save gas driving to work in Feb 10. The car had 135,000 miles on it when I got, I have nothing but problems with it. The car started overheating after I bought it and the intake gasket had to be replaced, passenger window gets stuck down, the dash material is rolling up, replaced water pump, replaced catalyst converter, replaced over fill tank and now I have to put another $300.00 in it because there is a gas leak around the intake because a valve is broke off. I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Worst ever
By MaineOwner

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is seriously the worst car I've ever driven. I have owned my car for a few years now and i cant stand it. I have problems with EVERYTHING! The security is a pain because it always thinks I'm stealing my own car and blinks security lights all the time. Every time i get in the car to drive it a new light on the dash board comes on. The only thing i like is the gas mileage and the way it handles on the road. The back seats are the most uncomfortable seats you'll ever sit on, and i have had problems every winter with the anti-lock break system. Oh and i run out of gas all the time because it says i have 1/4 a tank of gas, but it is really empty. So i end up running out of gas completely.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and the way it handles on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Security system, anti-lock breaking system, fuel filter, gas tank/gas gauge. The dashboard is starting to get old and get wrinkles and creases in it just after a few years.