2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Consumer Reviews

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Great and then Dead
By imok02 on 02/27/14 09:41 AM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I hadn't heard anything bad about an Alero when my mechanic tried to sell one to me. It was an '02 and I didn't have a single problem with it for 3 years. I lived on a steep, unpaved road and the car got me up even in snow. Then the check engine light was on and it started choking on it's own oxygen intact and emissions problems and now it sits not able to pass inspection. So, you be the judge: is a 2002 supposed to live past 11 years and 155000 miles? It was fine and now dead.

2002 Olds Alero
By japorter11 on 11/27/12 15:08 PM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Alero a few months ago with 72k miles on it. Solid engine, no problems thus far. Have replaced passenger side window motor, vinyl on the dash was already cracked. Decent car for the money. Uncommon tire size(225/55/16) expensive to replace.

A good first car, does have some known issues.
By n8ech on 09/18/11 14:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We have two Alero's in our family. Our daughter drives an 01, and I just pickes up an 02 for our son. The Alero is a decent sized comfortable car with quite a few amenties for the money. We paid $4800 for the 01 with 74k 1 owner, and $3700 for the 02 with 55k one owner as well I should add the 02 has some hail damage and needed the lower intake gasket replaced. Both have leather and a power driver seat. Given a choice, the 3.4L V6 is the better engine even considering the gasket issue. I am getting 30 mpg highway

Junk
By sharon on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used to save gas driving to work in Feb 10. The car had 135,000 miles on it when I got, I have nothing but problems with it. The car started overheating after I bought it and the intake gasket had to be replaced, passenger window gets stuck down, the dash material is rolling up, replaced water pump, replaced catalyst converter, replaced over fill tank and now I have to put another $300.00 in it because there is a gas leak around the intake because a valve is broke off. I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Worst ever
By MaineOwner on 07/23/10 18:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is seriously the worst car I've ever driven. I have owned my car for a few years now and i cant stand it. I have problems with EVERYTHING! The security is a pain because it always thinks I'm stealing my own car and blinks security lights all the time. Every time i get in the car to drive it a new light on the dash board comes on. The only thing i like is the gas mileage and the way it handles on the road. The back seats are the most uncomfortable seats you'll ever sit on, and i have had problems every winter with the anti-lock break system. Oh and i run out of gas all the time because it says i have 1/4 a tank of gas, but it is really empty. So i end up running out of gas completely.

My Alero
By Not Father's Olds on 06/05/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero after lots of rentals, and loved it at first. However, all of the typical quirks I read about on this car have occurred. Steering cylinder failure; plugged heater core (Dexcool) b/c sediment collects at lowest point=heater; Intake gasket=Dexcool problem; ABS sensor failure; Early transmission slip failures; gas tank solenoid (check engine); alloy wheels corrode/leak at tire lips; premature serpentine belt wear/squeaking. Too bad, as it would be a great car if GM would have address the reliability issues before tiring the line.

big mistake
By shelby on 03/03/10 07:40 AM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for only 3 or so years and have already had to change the fuel pump (2x) brake pads (4x) power window regualutor (2x) and already have to do that again! I've already had alot of problems w/ the security system which causes it not to start and i have to take it in and get the whole system reset. power steering pump went out, wheel bearing needs to be fixed. my service engine light, anti-lock brake light and change oil light are always on. this car has costed me alot of time, inconvenience and money.

junk
By teresa on 02/20/10 11:50 AM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my alero.I have had it for 3 years and now it is nothing but a big problem. I have replaced brakes constantly. Had the fuel pump replaced and the timing chain broke which cost me to end up having the motor replaced.These cars to me are junk but needless to say I still have this junk car because I still owe on it.

2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4-dr 3.4 V6
By grwulff on 01/03/10 12:16 PM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

got it for cheep so i wasn't expecting much. very smooth. excellent handling for it's weight. the engine technology is lacking though. the 3.4L V6 has only one intake and one exhaust valve so performance and fuel economy are not the greatest for the engine size. it is also a cast iron block in stead of an Aluminum one which increases weight and reduces power. it also shifts rather high for my taste, also reducing fuel economy. i would love this car much more if it came with a manual transmission.

Will sit you in your seat.
By Camwise on 08/13/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car after it had been used as a rental, and it already had 99000 miles on it. I love the power of the v6 and the fact that it easily beats 90% of the people off the mark at a stop light..... I'm a bit of a lead foot and this car meets my needs. Even with my lead foot I get 27MPG(Mostly Highway Miles)! When my wife drives she gets 33MPG(Also highway Miles)! About 2 months after I bought it I had to replace both front wheel bearings. About 2 yrs it was loosing all power and I had to take it in and have $1600 worth of repairs, but now it feels brand new again and is going great. I've put 50000 more miles on it and look to put another 50000!