2012 Nissan Leaf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:
5,000 miles and loving it
By jberolo on 10/08/13 12:48 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I was lucky to find a dealer car with only 3000 miles and still new even though I bought it as used vehicle. There is little I cannot do with my LEAF. I have a pickup truck when I need to drive farther than my LEAF can take me, but honestly I hardly ever need to drive it. The range of the LEAF works for 90% of my daily and weekly driving needs.

Nissan leaf built on a Friday
By richardriver on 06/25/13 12:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Bought the lowest price for 28K. After 3 weeks the car left me stranded, the dealer did not know what to do, it took them 8 days to figure it out. Now, after 3 months, the AC failed completely. But other than that is an excellent car for commuting. I do recommend the quick charging package Chademo with 6.6kw 240 charger. If you dont get it you would regret it, Like I did. This gives you more functionality.

Amazing vehicle front to back
By xando05 on 04/16/13 16:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

What an amazing piece of machinery. I really don't have one bad thing to say about the Nissan LEAF. Nissan really hit the nail on the head with this car. The technology is second to none. It drives a like a dream car. It handles very well and brakes extremely well too. I highly recommend this car all the way around. I look forward to driving the LEAF everyday!!

Excellent first electric vehicle
By flymia on 04/13/13 15:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Have been driving the 2012 Nissan LEAF SV for three months now. So far very impressed and glad to be driving electric. Car is smooth, responsive and has many of the features I would like. My only shortcomings are lack of telescoping steering wheel, poorly designed Carwings telematics with limited functionality, and inability to view % state of charge (2013 model offers this). The car design takes a bit getting used to and offers poor visibility when backing up if not equipped with back up camera. Otherwise a solid choice, great reliability and performance so far. Range varies considerably especially with highway driving drains battery fast (about 65 miles)

7,000 miles in, I would buy another
By skoorbmax on 04/03/13 05:34 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Prior to this vehicle I had a 3rd gen Prius. I much prefer the drive of this. The power train is more responsive, and at low speeds the car is much quicker (though no quicker at higher speeds). I am in NY state and have taken this through a winter now. Including winter my average miles/kWh are in the low 3's. 3.9 miles/kWh that EPA claims are quite optimistic. The heat destroys range, as does highway driving. Nonetheless, at 3.2 miles/kWh and at 75% charge efficiency (120V charging) and $.11 kWh I am still about 87 miles per $4.00 in electricity.

The problem is NISSAN, not the car!
By patsiefe on 03/29/13 22:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Things to know: You will NOT get the EPA rated distances, especially at freeway speeds, or with the heater on! I am sure this is also true for the Volt. Besides this, the car did well until I got a flat. Remember that the leaf has no spare, and Nissan has not figured out what to do about that. They include a little electric pump and sealant. DO NOT USE THEM!!! It will cost you a fortune! Worst, the car now fails to start, and the dealership has not been able to get an answer in OVER A WEEK AS TO WHY! No car for me! More disturbing is the fact that it is related to the BRAKING SYSTEM , and the computer does not understand that the brakes have been touched!

So far, so good!
By early_adopter on 03/08/13 10:39 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I just purchased a used, 2011 SL Leaf. Such a bargain; they've taken a huge hit in depreciation so I was able to get one with only 4,900 miles for around $18,500. [non-permissible content removed]

This car needs a lot of work before ready for driving
By reginaa on 03/07/13 12:50 PM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

bought a nissan leaf sl 2012 in Sept 2012. Since the purchase I have not been able to rely on the car for transportation to work, home, child's activities or anywhere. My child is afraid that I will be killed in a car accident cause I can't drive the speed limit and return to where I need to go. The car takes more than 16-24 hours to charge 100% and Nissan told me I bought the special edition quick charge that will charge in 20 min, but actually it takes 1 hr 15 min for 83% charge. I contacted Nissan International (NI) and although they are buying back many nissan leafs, they would not deem my as defective and would not repurchase the car.

Electric Wonder
By mikelaw1 on 02/16/13 07:38 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

The Leaf has great acceleration up to about 40 mph, because of the high torque of the electric drive, it is only two wheel drive but feels like four wheels drive, maybe because of large wide tires (55 series) and a low center of gravity, Batteries under floorboard have a lot of weight, so it really hugs the road. Keeps the car about forty mph in ECO mode, (slower mode, slower acceleration ) should get you 150+ mile range. It really begins to use up the juice over 50 mph and by 60 to 70 mph range is only about 75. Frost on inside if left outside is a problem requiring defrosting before starting out. It is a really about town car. Most charging stations appear to charge $3 for a charge.

Apotheosis of perfection!
By woodyas on 12/06/12 10:37 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Put off going electric for a plethora of reasons. And hemmed and vacillated on getting the Leaf for about a year. But wow: THIS CAR IS TRULY AWESOME. Hands down...this is the best car I have ever had. And to be able to never put gas in a car again. NEVER! A feeling like no other.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Nissan Leaf in VA is:

$103 per month*