Used 2012 Nissan Leaf Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Leaf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

Under no circumstances buy a Nissan Leaf
By robert amaio

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Nissan's software is completely inaccurate regarding its measure of battery capacity. I get 9 bars yet when I look at the graphs it's barely measuring 10.5 KW of total power utilized out of 24KW/h. The Techs and Engineers insist that NISSAN is right and do not care about what I had to say. They hook it up to their diagnostic equipment and say the battery is fine and just wait till we get 8 bars and we'll replace it. I bought the car wholesale with 2000 miles on it thinking I got a deal for 17K. I got robbed.

Commuter
By Gail

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I was putting less than 5000 miles a year my previous car. The Leaf is just great for my needs i.e. grocery store, church, occasionally to Costco 3 miles from my house. I seldom go further than that. It's not the best for freeway driving if you are going great distances, but does accelerate to freeway speeds. Keep in mind freeway driving will probably drain your battery faster. Lots of blind spots, check them carefully. Overall I'm pleased with the car.

50,000 Miles Best Racing Commuter ever
By dradzieta@bcbsal.org

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Very tough car, very very quick. Corners like a go cart. Best Sports car I ever owned. We save about $150 a month on our electric bill because of electric company incentives. Couldn't be happier. We take the wife's Prius when we go out of town. We are healthier too, gas pump handles are covered with diseases. The car will go anywhere we want to in our city. Had two issues taken care of under warranty. Nissan was very helpful and took care of us. Best car we ever owned. Do not regret it at all. It does look funny but it grows on you. I think most complaints are from people that did not research the car's capabilities. My daily commute is about 50 miles, one third expressway and two thirds secondary roads. I only charge at home overnight. Did I mention how tough the car is? Comapred to my other sports cars -- Miata, 323 AWD GTX, 300ZXs. This thing is quicker and loves white knuckle abuse. Best Nissan ever built. If anyone says the car is slow they never drove it. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on a G37 to replace my previous Infiniti.

love it
By deborah

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I have had my Leaf a little over 2 months and i adore it. If i could change a few things this would of course be the range, i am just starting to adjust to the range anxiety. I work from home so that solves a chunk of range. I have learned a great deal about improving my driving skills in order to save miles! The second thing about the car is the shifter....cant understand why reverse is a forward shift and drive is to the back..lol, am now adjusted to it but was confused in the first week. Third thing is the rear window limited view, i took the rear headrest off and that helped alot. Other than that, the car fits me to a T. I bought mine used at 17,000 miles for 11,500. I feel that was a very nice deal, all though since buying it i have lost 1 battery bar which concerns me.

5,000 miles and loving it
By jberolo

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I was lucky to find a dealer car with only 3000 miles and still new even though I bought it as used vehicle.
There is little I cannot do with my LEAF.
I have a pickup truck when I need to drive farther than my LEAF can take me, but honestly I hardly ever need to drive it.
The range of the LEAF works for 90% of my daily and weekly driving needs.

The ECO mode and the Navigation. The best part is that I can press a button and the Navigation will show me the closet charging stations. Also the Telematics link that allows my car to send data to Nissan (I have the option to turn it off if I choose). I can even send a message to my to turn on the A/C so it is cool when I get in.

The driving range of course is a big one for ALL EV cars. The other would be to charge faster. Otherwise I think Nissan has a done a great job so far. I am already looking at the next LEAF when it's time to trade or sell my in a few years.