2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Still loved my 2008 with 61k miles
By quezon118 on 07/10/14 10:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car brand new in 2008, S model. Loved the CVT engine, got used to it after 3 days of driving. Comfortable drive, car turns like a dime. Did not have any major issues except 2013 when the dealer have to replaced the brake cylinder for leakage (under warranty.) Still driving with original tires and break pads which I need to replace soon otherwise, it runs and drives beautifully! This is my 2nd Altima, my first one was a 1994, drove it for 15 yrs. with 170k miles on it.

Too many issues, now dealer won't fix, Nissan of Folsom problems
By stever343 on 03/17/14 17:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Everything was going pretty good until about 50,000 miles. I am getting a pulsating when letting off the gas, and a rough idle when cold. The 12 v outlet quit working. I brought it back to Future Nissan of Folsom, and they replaced the head! Thankfully I had the Nissan extended warranty, but they wouldn't allow me a rental, even though the extended warranty covers one! I get it back, idle is rough, bring it back, they say the reprogrammed it per some bulletin. The next morning, the idle is as rough as ever. Now the service guy, Rod, who had always been so nice, changes abruptly and tells me there's nothing wrong with my car. Now they won't take my calls and won't fix my car!

It was the most perfect car I've had
By clock84 on 03/05/13 13:14 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 08 Nissan Altima Coupe in 2008 brand new. It was my first brand new car and I'm still in love with it even though I don't own it any longer. I put over 50k miles on it in 3 years. I took it on long drives from Omaha to Chicago and Omaha to Indianapolis. The seats were so comfy that my butt was never abused. The acceleration was always great even though it was a 4 cyl. I had no problems getting around in the winter during some bad snowfalls. The only reason I traded it in was because I needed to get a bigger car for a family. When I think of my silver 2008 Altima I get a little tear in my eye as I wistfully remember how great of a car it was.

CVT gone at 50k. Wheel bearings at 40k, radio
By elijahwww on 12/26/12 19:14 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, this car was not a good choice for my wife. She had very annoying issues with it almost immediately with the automatic light shutoff and battery dying on her at the airport. In 2009 she used AAA 7 times. In 2011 we replaced wheel bearings, exhaust shield came loose, and radio would become unresponsive on random occasions - light would dim and volume controls would only cycle 6 and 7. Then in 2012 at 51k, the tranny goes. Yes, Nissan came through and forked over $5k towards replacing it as well as some other outstanding recall and emmision problems. Thanks for that. From a simple, cheap car all she wanted was decent reliability, at least up to a respectable 80k. But tranny at 51k. No

5 years, 60k miles
By stevewaclo on 12/10/12 22:45 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Noticed only one other review for a Coupe with some miles on it, so thought I'd share my experience. Took delivery in January of '08 and other than a broken limit strap on the driver door, the car has been flawless. Fuel economy on the V6 has been as high as 32 @ 70 (Hwy, measured several times at fill-up and around 20 in town with combined in the low 20's. Although designed for premium, I've used regular. Performance is excellent with some torque steer on hard launch. One track day, with VDC off, was a hoot. Excellent for long trips and plenty of room for skis, with the back seats down. Plus, it takes someone who knows the car to know an '08 from the current model.

So Many Problems
By stormchaser32 on 07/09/12 09:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When we first purchased the car, we had no issues until the 15K mark and car would not start. Brake sensor issue. Another 15K, stopped to get gas in Alabama, car would not start. Brake sensor again. Trip to Florida and a loud whining noise, Transmission replaced 60K. After getting the maintenance, they stated that it will be fine. Whining brakes are annoying and the leather on the console is torn...not covered by warranty. Also, center console is very loose. Now the radio will not power on. Drive about 15 miles and then press the push start w/o foot on brake, radio comes back on. Problems and will not own another Nissan

Love the Car
By queenb63 on 05/10/12 10:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 2008, 3.5 SE coupe new, it has great looks and ALOT of get up & go. I don't have 20,000 miles on it yet, planning on selling it to go with a bigger car will miss it when its gone...

altima issues
By islander12 on 01/06/12 18:45 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Any issues that I have have with my 2009 Altima i just had to google and found them very quickly online. Three issues, Push start, transmission and leak in the moon roof all were listed as a problem. Nissan covered all repairs except for the moonroof. Disappointing because only had 36000 miles as of 2012 and bought the car based on consumer reports.

Most reliable car with great mpg
By brianarm on 10/12/11 11:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my altima new for under 20K. I now have 50K miles on it and have had only 1 issue. The bolt holding the alternator broke, the fix cost me $75 because the threads were stripped. I am still on my original tires though I do need to replace the fronts now. I calculate actual gas mileage myself and average 28 mpg in mainly city driving. So I go about 560 miles between fill ups (sweet). Car is plenty quick enough and was a lot faster than accord or camry (which I test drove). CVT is smooth and zero probs. I'm also 6'1 and have no problem with headroom or entry exit of vehicle. There's a reason this car is such a great seller, it's an auto mechanics enemy.....

Great Sporty Car!
By krismuszynski on 08/09/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Previously had an '07 2.5 Altima Sedan and LOVED it but wanted something sportier after a year of owning it. Lived up to exactly what it's built to be, a front wheel drive sporty car! First trip was to North Carolina in the first week of owning the car, averaged between 70-75mph on the eight hour trip from Florida (may have given it the beans a few times on the hwy as well) and had a 31mpg rating both ways to and from NC. Decided to give the suspension a work out on the mountain roads of Pisgah national forest. The car handled beautifully! The ride is TIGHT though, don't expect a soft ride in the SE package. It is made to be sporty! Loved the car and would only change the turning radius.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.