Best First Car Ever!
By College Kid on
1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan
I bought this car at 16 years of age and it has proven it's value in the near 5 years I've owned it. I bought the car at 119,452 miles and it now has 302,679 miles and still runs like brand new. I drive all over the place as you may be able to tell by the number of miles I've put on it. I occasionally race newer sports cars at the lights and I've beaten many smaller turbo charged and V6 cars, with the occasion of some bigger V8 powered cars. The only repairs I've ever had to make on this car was a section of the rear subframe rotted out and needed a new section put in ($240), and new rear drums ($100). If this isn't good enough yet, then let me tell you I get 37 miles per gallon combined.
Favorite Features
The power from the small 2.4L I-4 engine is immense. The interior design is very complex, yet well organized. The interior also reflects that of a luxury car. The 5-speed manual has proven to be reliable and efficient, plus it allows for a faster takeoff. Plus the handling is fantastic and it's fun.
Suggested Improvements
Make sure to take care of the undercarriage (remove any rust and paint with 3M salt protectant paint). The fuel door is a little difficult to open in the freezing cold, but lightly hitting it normally breaks it free of the ice.