1996 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Couldn't ask for more!
By Noprob96 on 03/18/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Our Altima now has 241,000 KMS on it - about 145,000 miles - and it is as solid as the day we bought it. Yes we have the little oil leak problem, but hands down this is the best, toughest most reliable car we have ever owned! We recently bought a new vehicle, but we would not part with our Altima, as I think at 12 years old it still has years of life in it!

Good hand-me-down Car
By George L. on 09/30/07 22:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car new in March 1996 and this car has been in my family since. I got the car as a junior in high school from my dad in 2001, and now at 23 I still have the car. While I am looking to replace it, I have been pretty happy with it since I got it 6 1/2 years ago. I have had very few mechanical problems with it. It seems to run strong every day. It doesn't have too many miles for its age. It's been a nice 1st car for me, but I am ready to move on.

Nice commuter
By Driver from OH on 07/26/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car cheap with a blown engine (overheated) at 143k. Replaced with a 53k engine and barely ran until I replaced distributor, knock and O2 sensor, and alternator (I suggest replacing parts with new Nissan parts, otherwise, you'll be replacing them again soon). Now, if I don't look at the odometer (155k), I think that the car is only several years old. The engine and transmission (auto) were designed for each other and provide good power at both high and low RPM ranges. One major flaw on these cars are the timing chain guides, which start making loud ticking noises after about 40k, and the only solution is to remove them. Nissan got rid of these in their later models. Good car!

Your Average Car
By dude on 10/26/06 19:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have a 96' gxe, and its fine to drive to close distances, but i don' trust it to go further distances after the fuel pump, distributor and A/C went out. Gas is ok not the best. I would go with the Toyota Camry though and pay a few hundred bucks more.

Has been a decent car
By greg_m on 08/31/05 13:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad was the original owner of this car and sold it to me in 2003 w/about 135,000 miles on it. Its a pretty quick car for only being a 4 cyl., but the gas mileage isnt all that great either. When I was putting mostly highway miles on it traveling to work, I think I only averaged about 22 or 3 mpg. The engine still runs nice at 170k miles, but it has always had an oil leak. Ruined a distributor and an alternator. Got the seal fixed once, but now it leaks again.

The little car with a surprise
By weazer6511 on 06/18/05 00:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

At first getting this car, I had very few expectations. An inline-4 and a car I had not heard of. Nearly a year later my view of the car has totally changed. It handles beautifully around fast corners and at high speeds is quite steady. The only drawback is that it is an automatic, but other than that I really enjoy the car. It is quite realiable and no problems. The car has 45K miles and looks to last me until 200K. I've put a new muffler and air intake and it's 2.4L engine pulls amazingly. It is a quick car and fun to drive

Saved My Life!!
By LilKim on 06/02/05 18:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 96 Altima as college car in 2001 used w/115K.Could not have asked for a better ride! Comfy (for a 5'2 chick), SUPER reliable,and LOTS of fun to drive.Sunroof,woodgrain,& Alpine CD made it heaven. Easy on the insurance bill and as everyone knows miles don't hurt Nissans! I was at 162K and going strong except a finicky O2 sensor, but that's nothing that midgrade gas didnt magically fix :) Unfortunately someone decided to drive in my lane going the wrong way & hit me head on (we both were going 45) thats a 90MPH collision. Amazingly -NOT buckled and blessed beyond belief- I WALKED away from the wreck w/2 airbag burns. THANKS Nissan for making such a great car,just bought a Maxima, staying loyal!

takes a lickin and keeps on rolling
By aaront on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

original owner from 1996 Has never needed to go bakc to dealership. Likes to eat front brakes and tires, but I drive fairly aggressiviely. Lost a few wheel covers which can add up unless you check out the junkyards. It is now my 3rd car and still runs well.

Competent and reliable
By oldsport on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Reliable. Conservatively iconoclastic styling. Very competent handling. And did I say reliable? Ours is about to turn 100K, and all we've done is change the fluids, plugs, and timing belt at normal intervals.

Very Dependable
By Rioo on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I leased this car for 3 years. I tested both auto and stick. Let me tell you they are very different. The 5 speed is much quiter and pull quicker. To be honest, it was a leased car so I didn't bother to change the oil or get it tuned up on schedule. I might have 4 oil and 1 set of sparkplugs changed in those 3 years... and it just runs and runs without even a single problem!