Used 1996 Nissan Altima GXE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Couldn't ask for more!
By Noprob96

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Our Altima now has 241,000 KMS on it - about 145,000 miles - and it is as solid as the day we bought it. Yes we have the little oil leak problem, but hands down this is the best, toughest most reliable car we have ever owned! We recently bought a new vehicle, but we would not part with our Altima, as I think at 12 years old it still has years of life in it!

Quiet smooth ride and reliability.

Definitely the cup holder in front of the CD/radio.

Good hand-me-down Car
By George L.

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car new in March 1996 and this car has been in my family since. I got the car as a junior in high school from my dad in 2001, and now at 23 I still have the car. While I am looking to replace it, I have been pretty happy with it since I got it 6 1/2 years ago. I have had very few mechanical problems with it. It seems to run strong every day. It doesn't have too many miles for its age. It's been a nice 1st car for me, but I am ready to move on.

A/C always runs very cold. Heat is good, too.

Cup holders are in the way of the radio and gas mileage is decent but could be better.

Nice commuter
By Driver from OH

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car cheap with a blown engine (overheated) at 143k. Replaced with a 53k engine and barely ran until I replaced distributor, knock and O2 sensor, and alternator (I suggest replacing parts with new Nissan parts, otherwise, you'll be replacing them again soon). Now, if I don't look at the odometer (155k), I think that the car is only several years old. The engine and transmission (auto) were designed for each other and provide good power at both high and low RPM ranges. One major flaw on these cars are the timing chain guides, which start making loud ticking noises after about 40k, and the only solution is to remove them. Nissan got rid of these in their later models. Good car!

Sporty suspension, powerful engine, tight steering. Get 30-33 mpg on the highway if staying in 65-70 mph range.

Cup holders in front of radio are bad idea. Make the rear seat fold down. The exterior design of the car is boring, wouldn't have bought if wasn't cheap. Decent spoiler in the back to clear the back glass of water. Replace distributor after about 110k or if starting to stall for no reason.

Your Average Car
By dude

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have a 96' gxe, and its fine to drive to close distances, but i don' trust it to go further distances after the fuel pump, distributor and A/C went out. Gas is ok not the best. I would go with the Toyota Camry though and pay a few hundred bucks more.

The Engine is very strong, i have to had it to nissan and their engines, also the car wont lock electricly unless the key is out of the contact

Horrible maneuvering ability, replace cup holders, make it more reliable, and lighten the steering a bit

Has been a decent car
By greg_m

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad was the original owner of this car and sold it to me in 2003 w/about 135,000 miles on it. Its a pretty quick car for only being a 4 cyl., but the gas mileage isnt all that great either. When I was putting mostly highway miles on it traveling to work, I think I only averaged about 22 or 3 mpg. The engine still runs nice at 170k miles, but it has always had an oil leak. Ruined a distributor and an alternator. Got the seal fixed once, but now it leaks again.

Very solid car. Still runs smooth at 170k miles.

Oil leaks!! Other than that, the cup holders are the only thing I dont like. THey're in a weird spot, and when something leaks it gets everywhere.