1999 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
My Sable
By CLAREMORE BOY on 04/25/07 14:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

It's been a decent car for the most part. We've put over 80,000 miles on it in 4 yrs. The problems have been the cooling system, the brake rotors, and the heater core went out a year ago. And why Ford put independent rear suspension on it, i'll never know, just extra struts to be replaced! The wind noise is right on the edge of being tolerable. However, I wouldn't be afraid to go cross country in her right now! A person could do worse.

the worst ever
By bill on 03/23/07 22:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

replaced the transmission 3 times this car is horrible will never buy American junk again!

I will never buy another Murcury/Ford
By I hate this car on 09/09/06 16:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car ever. I hate this car. The windshield wipers go off practically non stop without you even touching the dial. They are especially worse whenever I use the turn signal, and they'll go off about 10 times every time I turn. The transmission is iffy, it misses all the time, and is very jerky. It probably needs to be fixed! The brakes need to be serviced again, I already had them replaced once. (I've got about 120,000 miles on it). It's got some nice features inside. I like the power seats, and it's got awesome AC. But there is nothing worse than driving down the road with your brakes squealing and wipers going off like crazy. Don't buy one!

I love my sable
By MR SABLE! on 08/19/06 16:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

good car, my tranny went after 122,000 miles, got it replaced and she runs fine. it's also pretty fast

Another Ford Transmission Problem
By Steve--Midlothian VA on 07/20/06 10:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I am the 2nd owner of my '99 Sable (owned it for almost 4 years). It has only 70k miles on it, but it already needs major transmission work. It slips, or neutrals out momentarily, when starting from a stop. Ford, this is a safety issue, not just a value issue! No car should require a transmission rebuild at 70k. Additionally, the ABS light comes on intermittently, the brake pedal groans a bit, then sinks slightly to the floor. The dealer says his diagnostic computer can't communicate with my car's computer, so he doesn't know what's wrong or how to fix it. Makes me feel like I own a FIAT ("Fix It Again, Tony"). Now I understand why so many people switch to Hondas and Toyotas.

Sable's been good to me
By johnny5 on 05/12/06 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

At 135K miles, I can't complain much, I have no major repairs at all. Proper maintenance is key. My pet peeve is the retraction of the rear seat belts. They were installed such that they need flipped over to be worn, and then get caught on retraction becuase the belt is twisted. This is a lack of attention to detail in the design & manufacturing process that should not exist. This car is still fun to drive.

1999 Mercury Sable
By Ford Fan on 02/17/06 11:39 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

This is my 15th car I have owned. It has been the best performer of all. I looks and performs very well. It is comfortable on long trips or short trips to the store. I have owned Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth, Toyota, and Isuzu vehicles. None have performed or been more reliable than this Sable. I'm sorry they are being discontinued.

Not bad
By Cape Robert on 11/16/05 21:37 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

I previously owned a 1997 GS and put on 135K and drove it till it dropped. It was good, solid and economical transportation which is why I bought this one. The '97 had the basic engine gave me 27+ MPG hwy. I followed the owners manual as to when to perform maintenance and cannot complain (of course, I never took it a dealer where their rates were way oput of line). My 1999 with the 24 valve OHV which is very peppy averages about 25+ MPG highway. Both are great salesman cars and I look at them as a disposable products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

always something going wrong
By Mike on 10/25/05 00:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

It had 118,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2004. In one year I have replaced the battery, steering pump, back brake calipers, rotors, tires, spark plug wires, O2 sensor, coolant over flow bottle, rack and pinion $900, and the engine light is on now and the car surges because another sensor has gone bad and its like having a car payment every month. My Windstar was worse. My family has owned Ford cars for more than 50 years and they all had electrical problems. Once the engine light comes on it never shuts off. I've had it!!!

Great All Around Car!
By Mike on 10/24/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

The Sable (Merc version of the Ford Taurus) has been found to be a safe and reliable full-size, mid-price, passenger car. I bought it as a "first car" for my 17 year old daughter during her senior year in high school. It has ample style and power; plus plenty of room to move a kid into a dorm room 200 miles away. I fully expect it to satisfy her vehicle needs throughout her college years.