Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Update From a Year Ago
By bsavoie93

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

In my year of owning this car and putting about 20,000 miles on it, Now at 90,000 Miles, I've had zero issues except with the rear power sunshade. It has a bad design and stopped working. I bought a used sunshade and installed it myself, cost $200. The dealer wanted $1000 for the part and to install! Other than that, this car has been incredibly reliable. The engine hasn't caused one issue for me and nothing in the interior has failed or fell apart (other than the sunshade). The fit and finish is hands down the best. This car is incredibly reliable and if you do all the maintenance yourself it won't cost much to maintain. It also gets great gas mileage for such a big car with a big V8

Excellent Gas Mileage! I can get from my house to Los Angeles which is over 100 miles in less than a quarter of a tank! Sport Package (makes it look so much newer), Rear Sunshade, The Engine, Bose, The Climate Control and most of all the Reliability!

The rear seat could have more room and the front seats could have a tin bit more lumbar but thats just me. Other than that the seats are wonderful especially on long trips

My Second First Car
By Brian

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

For my first car my parents bought me a 1990 Mercedes 300E. I loved that car but it was dangerously underpowered and didn't feel like getting in an accident when pulling into traffic. So I upgraded to my E430 Sport. I love this car! Most of my friends think its a 2005 or 2006. The ride is incredibly smooth, The power is amazing and The Climate Control system is awesome. All my friends envy the Bose Sound. I like all the little things Mercedes put in like the vents in the center console and the Rear Power Sunshade. I would recommend this car to anyone. I bet it will go over 300K miles. Mercedes-Benz is the best and I will only buy Mercedes Benz now.

The Power, The Bose Sound, The One Touch Down One Touch Up Power Windows on all 4 windows, The Power Rear Sunshade and The Climate Control System.

The Cup Holders. There's only one country that makes good Cup Holders and that's America.

UnderRated
By Phreeze

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

Plain jane exterior hides an exceptionally well crafted and highly reliable machine. Quick tracking, rapid acceleration, sure grip lay beneath a church choir skin. Lacks the flare of its sizzling sisters and brothers; but, delivers the message of a final destination worth visiting. Currently has 125,000; acts like the day it was born. Wolf in geeks clothing, including the pocket protector.

1. Bose sound system 2. Instant acceleration 3. Comfortable seating 4. HP to weight ratio (same HP and price as STS; but, better performance, top end, and speed plus 600lbs less

1. Dumb down the technology 2. Manual fails to reveal all electronic and mechanical features 3. Make it more owner-repair friendly

Best E430
By E430 Is Great

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

Very nice car inside and out. Very reliable. Only regular service needed and few minor services that are required when time comes like seals and stuff. Other than that it's a very good car so far

Sporty look, handling

More comfortable seats, sporty seats

Joy to drive, but painful to service.
By JDA

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

Inherited this car while under warranty. This car has beautiful lines, a comfortable interior, and sensational performance. I love to drive it, and I will miss it in three days, when the new owner takes possession...sniffle, sniffle. However, having owned Nissans and Toyota's prior to this vehicle, I have to say, the reliability on this car...not so good. We have had $4,600 of repairs since 2001, mostly electrical, frequently involving window motors - and the car only has 70k. Further, we had to have rear car- seat tethering mounts installed - very expensive on something that should be standard. Electrical issues/ $ repairs outweighed road performance; we switched to an Infiniti.

Acceleration from 70-95mph. Handling, seamless ease of transmission - this car effortlessly dominates the road - smoothly cruises through corners and bends. If you like driving, you will love this vehicle. Seat adjustment system.

Electrical system. Rear car seat tethering mounts should be standard. I hate the 1 blade windshield wiper..grrrrr. The center console has too many similar knobs and buttons. You can only get the oil filter at the dealer.

• SUV