2010 Mazda 5 Consumer Review: Versatile and Fun, but MPG way

2010 Mazda 5 - Consumer Review

Sport Passenger Minivan (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Versatile and Fun, but MPG way off!
By gliese876d on

2010 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In general I really love my Mazda5. It is fun to drive and highly versatile for my growing family. What I loved most was that I did not have to give up a manual transmission to get a mini-van, and assumed I could get good gas mileage given the advertised 22-28mpg, especially with a 5-speed. That was an important selling point to me because I was trading in a fuel efficient sedan, and did not want to sacrifice fuel efficiency. But so far this car has yet to deliver anywhere close to the adverstised gas mileage. It has not yet *once* even gotten the lowest value of 22mpg since I purchased the vehicle almost 3 months and 3200 miles ago. It is usually an abyssmal 19.5 mpg.

That there is a 5-speed transmission option. The ease with which seats can be folded down and rearranged, etc.

Either improve the gas mileage or do not advertise unrealistic values for gas mileage. I feel very misled about this vehicle's fuel efficiency and might still have bought it knowing it has a lower value of closer to 19mpg instead of 22mpg but I would have preferred to have known this prior to purchase. I understand that vehicles need time to break in and get optimum fuel efficiency, but I can't imagine anyone getting anywhere near the upper value of 28mpg when I can't even get 22mpg with a 5-speed, efficient driving, and combined highway and city driving. It seems absolutely implausible to me that the fuel efficiency ratings were accurately determined.