Good - not great
By dougal1098 on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I have been driving my 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring for a couple of days now. I got the base Grand Touring model with a remote start and a trailer hitch. The car itself is nice with good handling and styling. The car just looks nice. The 19" wheels are a distinctive feature that really makes the car unique. The handling of the car is nice but not dramatically different than other cars in its class. And really, why buy this car of this class for handling anyway?
Favorite Features
The styling is nice and the inside is roomier than you would think. I can fit my MTB inside without any problem. I got the cargo liner which is a nice soft cover for the back trunk area and the back of the seats. The leather seats with the red stitching are really nice and supportive. The car handles well and the ride has a firm feel to it but still takes bumps well. I also like the fact that the transmission will shift up quickly so to get good gas mileage but when you need it, the power is there.
Suggested Improvements
With that said, there are things that are just terrible and stupid on this car. First is the computer system. I did not get the tech package because I read many poor things about the Tom-Tom system but the simple Audio/blue-tooth phone system is just terrible. The sound integration with your phone is just terrible. The speakers are poor at best and are no better than you get in a much cheaper car. Really disappointed in this. The interior lighting is bad as well with no trunk light. The lack of arm rests is odd and the lack of storage is just annoying. Also, the OEM hitch is just a class I, which is very limited and I would not recommend.
By dougal1098
on 04/23/14 06:21 AM (PDT)

So 5 months later and I would probably upgrade my scores. The issue that I mentioned still exist but they no longer really bother me. The car itself really grows on you. As the weather warms up, my mileage just keeps climbing and my overall fuel consumption has improved over 25 MPG, with almost all city driving. The car remains fun to drive and fun to look at. The great mileage is a huge bonus. Love this car and would highly recommend it.