Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Zoom Zoom
By Carol

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Reliable, comfort driving!

New transmission at 41K miles
By Julie

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle as a certified used vehicle from a dealer @39K miles. The engine had a whine while driving that was always present and not dependent on conditions. The salesman claimed not to be able to hear it. During the test drive. I purchased the vehicle and drove it a little less than 2K miles. I recently received a recall notice about another component and when I brought it back I asked them to road test it to check on the whine. After having the car for a day the service manager called and said the whine was due to a faulty transmission and they have to replace it. With the certified warranty the work is covered so I am not out of pocket, but it doesn't exactly instill confidence in the quality of this vehicle.

Great change from Subaru Forester
By Jackie

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Having owned Subaru Foresters and a RAV4 along the way -was looking for a roomier vehicle and one that didn't cut off my vision when turning. Tested Honda CRV before deciding on the Mazda CX-5. The dash layout on the CRV was impossible to see over. The Mazda was the right fit -love how the dash is laid out and the ease of controls. The MPG changes as we drive. Current MPG isn't very accurate - have seen where it registers 99 mpg and then a few seconds later shows 44 mpg. The backup camera is ok but I still always check the surroundings. This comes with a blind spot monitor too-helpful when driving in heavy traffic and when merging into traffic. The interior lighting isn't the best -even turned up all the way up. Agree with other posters this is difficult to get up to speed when merging into traffic or when you resume after a stop. Overall it is great for getting around town to and from work and will be great for traveling as well.

Fantastic SUV which seems to have gone unnoticed
By Bob Schroeder

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Got the same mileage driving to Kentucky from PA as my Toyota Corrolla S did. Beautiful interior with the leather package. Geers shift a little bit slower than I prefer but you can always throw it into manual and shift yourself. Great stereo with the Bose package. The navigation system misunderstands often. Heard there are others that experience this and Mazda has been working on a solution. Actually about to visit the dealer tomorrow to see if buying the 2016 model makes sense. Love this vehicle.

36,000 miles with just oil changes and tires
By Wayne

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased July 2012 touring AWD with moonroof bose and tech package.Only problem is/was rattle somewhere in the dash that comes and goes when the temp is around 35-40 .Didn't take the dash apart because the rattle was gone when I took it in for service. The engine IS underpowered but adequate with a light load ,2 adults and a dog.Forget 2 adults and 2-3 kids just not enough power to merge or pass safely.The transmission is great fast shifts and does seem to have logic control that learns to shift based on your driving,at least it seems that way to me.Ride is fine if a little noisy and handling is first rate a lot like a Mazda 3 with a higher center of gravity and I drive aggressively up and down mountain roads and few can keep up with me.Gas mileage is just OK,keep it under 60 on secondary roads and the gauge will say 32 MPG which is really 30 MPG because the gauge is calibrated for 19 in tires not the 17 in that comes with the Touring model,(What's up with that) get on a interstate and drive 75 MPH and you'll see a actual 24-25 MPG on hilly terrain.I'm sure I'll still be driving it when the redesigned model comes out around 2018 (unless I hit the lottery ) and then I'll decide if I'll buy another one. It's going to need even more power than the 2.5 for me to consider it.