Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda Cx-5 - Consumer Reviews

2013 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Fun to drive but there are some problems
By ikerry

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The Cx-5 is a very fun car to drive. At 28000 miles I started to have some electrical problems. For no reason, the traction light comes on, the tire light, and the engine light comes on. I have to pull over each time to turn off the car and turn it back on again. Traction light and tire light go off but engine light remains. Two hours later after car was turned off, engine light was off when I restarted car. This has happened about 10 times. Other owners are having the same problem. In addition to this situation, the radio keeps going off and a BSM light comes on. I contacted Mazda and they did not return my call or my email. I will not purchase another Mazda, too unreliable.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, fun to drive when working properly.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical system.

Great SUV
By jgc1995

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We have had this car since 2012 and it has been great! It is just the right size for getting around town but with lots of space. AWD gets through the snow without a problem. As many, had to replace the tires at 27,0000 miles.

Favorite Features

Keyless start, gas mileage, back up camera, AWD system, Articulating headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Little snug for someone whom is 6' 3", but comfortable. Possibly a Power-liftgate

Cheap tires. Cheap Bose speakers.
By fayetteal

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Yokohama tires at 27,000 miles are cupping and need new set. Bose speakers are not a true Bose. No pick up and go. Navigator update is not Mac Compatible.

Favorite Features

Back up lights.

Suggested Improvements

Quality tires. True Bose speakers.

CX-5 Grand Touring-(27,500 miles) Fun car but underpowered
By mnvpierson

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I think I was the 2nd person to buy in MN because I was waiting for the cx-5 or the escape whichever came first. Bought the car in Feb of 2012 and have really enjoyed the car and now have 27,500 miles on the car. It is fun to drive. The tires are 19 in and were replaced at 23k and are expensive because they are not a popular size. The only problem is it is underpowered with the 2.0 especially pulling out into traffic or having the car loaded with 5 people, almost unsafe. Would not buy this again but would consider the 2014 which has the bigger engine. I get 32 mpg on the highway and 20 or 21 mpg in the city which is a stop light ever mile or so. For a suv we were happy with the mpg.

Favorite Features

It's cool and sporty looking. It will zoom zoom for you as long as you only have one person in the car. Leather and quality of the car is good. Seating is spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Need to get more power. It is almost unsafe with the way it is. I am glad to hear the new ones have a bigger engine. Transmission seems to downshift funny especially when you stop quickly

CX-5 4 Cylinder Base Model
By milljockey

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase a CX-5 4-Cylinder Base model on Jan 18, 2013. After one year of ownership, I am still happy with the purchase, no major issues have cropped up, and everything seems to be working fine. I purchased this car to replace a 1999 chevy venture that we had outgrown. Most of the reviews I have read complain of poor fuel economy and lack of engine performance. If you wanted performance then buy a sports car! This is a small SUV with a small engine, Most of our driving is done in town under 40 MPH on flat Kansas roads. After one year I only have 9,000 Miles on the car.

Favorite Features

The seats were more comfortable that the seats in the Chevy Equinox, not as pricey as a Rav 4, or Equinox. I didn't consider trying a Ford Escape, I didn't even give for a try, their quality usually is inferior. I am not happy with the layout for the window wipers, headlights, and cruise control. Then again I am used to the Chevy layout for these! I settled on Mazda for price, comfort, and quality. Time will tell if I made the correct choice for a new car. This is my first time for owning a brand new car, I have always owned used cars. I kept my Chevy Van for 10 years it had 210K miles on it when sold, and it was 4 years old when I bought it, it will be nice to see how long I keep this one.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Cruise control, and windshield wiper control more like those found on the Chevy's. have automatic headlights on, not just the running lights.