Used 1999 Lexus LS 400 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus Ls-400 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus LS 400

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (31 reviews )

The most reliable & comfortable car in the world!
By afriend4life

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've owned a dozen cars in the past: 2 Cadillac's, Jaguar, 3 BMW's, Infiniti, Corvette - most I've owned for 12-15 months and had to invest $1700-$3300 per year on maintenance. I've owned '99 LS400 for 3+ years & it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned - my ex, Lexus SC430 was just as good, & they both have the "world's most reliable engine" award. I do a safety inspection once a year & surprised to hear that all is good, no problems with suspension, engine or transmission. I'm only changing oil every 10K miles (using Amsoil), brakes last long & tires are good for 70K miles. Besides better handling that my ex-BMW 540i had - this Lexus has been such a pleasure to own & joy to ride!

Favorite Features

100% reliability, super smooth & powerful engine, comfortable ride, bulletproof engine that will last 500K miles if taken care of. Taken it on many 700+ mile road trips & will be taking it on a cross country trip shortly, feeling confident it will get me from CA & back with no problems. Looking to upgrade to 2007 LS460 in few years.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling. I'm just spoiled by comparing it to BMW 540i with sport package that I've owned. It handles better than Jaguar Vanden Plas and as good as Cadillas STS I've owned before. I'm sure GS400 would handle better, the new IS350 would have even better handling.

Excellent, comfortable car
By micahberry

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Excels on the interstate, where it absorbs pavement irregularities superbly. It is a comfortable traveling car for my family. This is not a back road burner – the LS400 features a lot of body roll, which is to be expected as part of the design. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable long-range cruising car. I purchased this car with 113k miles. As of this writing, it has 140k. I have had to replace the starter, which I have learned through owner’s forums is a wearable item. In addition, rubber suspension bushings on the car should be replaced to keep the incredible Lexus ride. Thankfully, they don’t need to be replaced but once every 10 years or so!

Favorite Features

Classic exterior design has aged well. Interior in my car has also held up very well for the age and mileage. My car features the stock stereo. It sounds great! Radio reception is less than stellar. I use my iPhone connected to the stereo via a cassette adapter almost exclusively now. Sounds great! CDs through the 6 disc changer still sound just a bit better, but I'm happy. HID headlights are self adjusting and very bright. Dual climate zones keep my wife and I happy - and the heated seats also help. Quiet and smooth ride. Excellent fuel economy for a V8 (getting 29 mpg on the interstate at 70 mph). In town at 22 mpg average economy.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is smaller than I expected considering the size of the car. This design was improved with the LS430 beginning in 2001. Clear coat over the wood portion of the steering wheel is prone to thin cracks. The LCD display of the radio is prone to fade out. This a relatively inexpensive fix, more of an inconvenience. Cup holders could be larger. They're large enough for a medium soda, which means they're not large enough for insulated coffee mugs.

the legend lives on !
By rockinbaz

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

hi this is the 6th lexus ls400 i have owned and they really are the best kept secret , its so so quiet , its the "sound of silence " the one i have now is a late 1999 model with cream/beige soft leather, its got more toys than toys r us...i did have a 430 but i like the 400 better its done 152 k i paid £2000 for it its just fantastic i would like to have one of the last 100 built in 2000 , and before i pop my clogs i will have one, i am 69 and i live in bolto ... oh and the dealers are simply the best a lexus owner can get !

Favorite Features

the touch screen.........

Suggested Improvements

none

It's True, the BEST Sedan Made
By MrPino

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've owned over 50 cars in my old age and the 99 LS400 is one of the best. I also have a LS430 but find myself driving the LS400 the most. These cars are powerful, quiet, extremely relaxing to drive and get very good gas mileage. With proper maintenance, the LS400 will go 400,000 miles without a problem. I've owned 21 different Lexus cars and still consider the 1998-2000 year models to be the best.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, great sound system, gas mileage, super smooooth ride. Quality of materials used.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders SUCK.. they are too small.

The 2nd Lexus ....
By steve397

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my second Lexus. First was a 2001 ES 300 and I still think it is an excellent vehicle. But the 400 is truly the embodiment of comfort. At 63, fun driving is being able to drive for 6 hours to the mountains and arrive relaxed and able to enjoy the football game; Or drive to the formal New Year's Eve gala in comfort and style. The gas mileage is excellent, 29.5 on the highway trips (I use the ES300 around town). The back seat is so relaxing, our guests usually fall asleep on the trip. The CD/stereo is very fine. Terrific car.

Favorite Features

Lexus cars are incredibly durable, reliable, comfortable and quick. They cruise for hours so easily and comfortably. In the long run, they are very cheap to own due to their durability. My mechanic loves the car. He says the inner workings are "art, pure art". He said that after changing the timing belt and water pump at 53,000 miles just last month. (I know, 13 years old, only 53,000 miles). Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Even the leather still looks and feels great.

Suggested Improvements

My 400 doesn't have heated front seats, but hopefully they can be added. The cupholders are a constant source of amusement... Surprise, it won't run with a Ferrari around the turns. Actually, the 98, 99 and 00s are very hard to fault, being the very best evolutions of the original LS400. Try one of these in excellent condition. You wont be disappointed.