2002 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (82 reviews )
Transmission and Brakes
By Alabama Gal on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My brakes had to be replaced at around 15,000 miles due to warped rotors. This also meant replacing the tires. Fortunately Lexus covered the cost. I just had them replaced again at 39,500 miles, at my cost. Was told that the area I live in is to blame since it is slightly mountainous. My husband has 70,000 miles on an 02 Yukon and has never had brake problems. I also would have like a smoother shift in the transmission. They did the computer changeover, but it is no better. When I took it in last I was told the brake replacement at 14K+ was a recall. When I called Lexus I was told there had never been a recall on the 02 Lexus.

Lexus ES 2002
By Patricia W. on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although I do like this vehicle, I have to say it totally lacks 'get up and go'. It has major hesitation when trying to pick up speed QUICKLY such as getting on an interstate or crossing a lane(s)rapidly to get out of traffic's way. It has stalled badly in critical situations. I know in the years subsequent to 2002 the engine has been upgraded to a 3.3 litre but I just wonder if .3 is enough to do the job. I doubt I would ever buy another ES unless that engine was significantly bigger--

Excellent Quality with the Price Tag
By BBGG on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

One big problem: I left the car in the garage for my summer vacation for one month. It went totally dead. Dearler said it was not uncommon because of all the on-board computer features. Why put so many features if the battery cannot support it? Service consultants said I should have mentioned that I was a frequent traveller before making the buying decision. So you have to be able to afford to buy expensive car but no allowed to travel? The salesperson never told me that, and Mercedes and Porches did not give me this condition. 2nd question: noise started to appear after a year.

I'll never buy another one
By PARSON121 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1993 Buick Park Ave Ultra that was supercharged so I figured the hesitation and lack of power was because I was used to a different car. The braking is poor, brakes replaced at 14000 miles,car hesitates on acceleration(dealer did the computer fix yesterday)still the same,had loaner car 2004 ES330 -same problems,brakes, acceleration etc.

I liked my 1998 Lexus better
By al klemm on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd ES300. I traded in a 1998 model for this car. Power and gas milaege are less than last vehicle. Brakes on car were poor and unsafe. When dealer serviced car he informed us there was a defect. Vehicle was not recalled. Brakes were dangerous, customers are not notified. You find out when you complain about the brakes. I will never buy another Lexus.

Nice Car, bad paint
By Gladys Arnold on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Everything about this car is nice, but the paint. I've notice several spots where the paint is chipping. First, I thought it was caused by treesap, but the other cars were not affected. I will discuss this problem with the dealer.

An attractive car
By JFMC on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have tested BMW 325i, Benz 240, and Audi A4, and x-type before buying this car. It is a very good value for what I have paid. It is really a joy to drive. The dealership is a valued-added feature.

rotor problems continue
By 3.con on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

ought car from private party with 14K miles--noted on first long trip that car shuddered when braking at highway speed. Took it in--needed new rotors. I had read that Lexus was having problems with the brakes, especially rotors. Dealership (Concord Lexus) replaced the brake pads and rotors @ no charge to us. Shocking note from dealer that rear tires will need replacing soon--only 14, 300 miles on them and no abuse. Toyo tires, another warrenty issue, we hope. Nice car---but the transmission is not smooth and it hesitates when you need to move out in a hurry. Not powerful, good gas mileage, great interior. No rattles---yet!

Solid Beauty
By kleesmith on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am a residential real estate agent showing property all the time in the Atlanta area. I get all kinds of positive comments from my passengers of how well this car rides over most all terrains. After the break-in period I have noticed the performance and gas mileage improve. It handles well, but after my Audi A6, I can tell it is not a sports car nor a Quattro gripper. For my business and personal pleasure, it handles quite supurbly. Quiet, comfortable, solidly built. There is ample room for average sized people in the back seat. The local dealers treat me like royalty both in sales and service and that will drive me right back there for my next one.

2002
By Texas83 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The transmission on this thing is a piece of junk. I can't believe that Lexus would put out something so poorly tested. It's so sad, because I like everything else about the car. It has many great features, but the reliability of the transmission is terrible, even dangerous. Lexus has promised over and over again that they will fix it, but so many promises have turned into so many lies.