Used 2011 Land Rover LR4 V8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Land-rover Lr4 - Consumer Reviews

2011 Land Rover LR4

V8 5.0L V8 4x4 6-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

2012 LR4 poor reliability, poor dealer support
By landog2

2011 Land Rover LR4 V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

At 7000 miles, major control module failed. TATA\Land Rover refused to pay for loaner vehicle and can't figure out what is wrong with the truck. I've owned over 15 Land Rovers. This is my last. Indian ownership has not improved Land Rover's poor reputation for reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Learn the meaning of reliability and why people expect it in a $70,000 vehicle. If you can't make them reliable, at least learn how to fix them, and when they crap out under warranty, provide substitute transportation. It is not complicated.

1st time LR buyer
By batesoh

2011 Land Rover LR4 V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the LR4 LUX (new) over the BMW X-5 turbo and Volvo XC90 V8; Mercedes was +$12,000 for similar engine/options. An absolute pleasure to drive. Plenty of power for all 7,000 pounds. An absolute delight on the freeway. Excellent visibility from driver's seat. A few electrical/communication issues, but dealer has been there to support us all the way. 19,000 miles and counting.

Favorite Features

Minimalist styling. Excellent power.

Suggested Improvements

I wish we could listen to the stereo when my wife is on the phone. Just need her to unpair the phone.

An Automobile with a Custom Fit
By bjlondon

2011 Land Rover LR4 V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the fifth Land Rover we have purchased. The previous four Land Rover's were purchased with my husband as the intended primary driver, and then subsequently passed on to me as we replaced them with newer models. This is the first LR purchased primarily for me--a petite woman. I feel as if this vehicle was custom-designed for me. It is absolutely the most comfortable auto I've ever driven. Everything w/in the cockpit is at my fingertips. The body is compact and easy to maneuver and control. Despite having the controls close at hand, this is an extremely roomy automobile. You would be hard-pressed to find a more comfortable or luxurious ride in a more expensive luxury car.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the headroom and the cargo space. By all appearances the LR4 looks like a smaller SUV, however, looks can be deceiving. The cargo space is big enough to hold a baby stroller, sand toys, several bags of groceries, multiple cases of water and a case of diapers. And I cannot stress enough how easy it is to put my son into his carseat. This vehicle has perhaps the greatest headroom of any car I've driven. I also love the back-up camera. It provides an extremely clear view of the surrounding area with illustrated guidelines denoting your path--not just the immediate space behind your car.

Suggested Improvements

Need to redesign the cargo cover screen. I find it difficult to latch--especially if I'm only using one hand, which is often the case with a busy toddler in tow. If you don't catch it precisely in both grooves, it snaps back very rapidly, beyond the normal starting position. As a petite woman, I'm forced to literally crawl in the back to drag if forward again. Sounds trite, but it's a major inconvenience given that you don't want to leave anything out in plain view today.

Happier than ever
By mryan2756

2011 Land Rover LR4 V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

We traded in a 2011 Ford Explorer on the LR4. My wife hated the Explorer we previously had a LR3 and loved it. We only went to the ford for better gas mileage witch did not exist. This vehicle is far better than the LR3. We purchased the LR4 lux package.

Suggested Improvements

None

6 Month Report
By tanker6

2011 Land Rover LR4 V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I had been looking to replace a 2001 Toyota Landcruiser with a new one. The Toyota dealer said he did not have one but if he did, it would have been $75,000. So here I am with a 2011 LR4. 6,000 miles/6 months and I could not be happier. No issues to date. Very fast, comfortable and well designed. 22 mpg on the highway 15 mpg in town. Extremely competent off-road, and I am off road a lot. Also great on road. Smaller than the Landcruiser but every bit as functional.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, quiet interior, design and packaging. Turning circle is unbelievable.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel option would be good.