Used 2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

I love my Freelander
By KATHLEENC

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did my homework before buying and wasn't discouraged by some of the bad reviews. Am I ever glad! It is very reliable, I have never spent less on repairs, looks great. The AWD works extremely well in Snow and I feel very safe in all weather conditions - which is important with my kids in the vehicle. Maybe some Freelander's are lemons but mine is a GEM. The other good thing about this vehicle is that it is unique - not a lot of others on the road. Excellent handling and performance.

Favorite Features

Great Looks. Great Handling.

Nothing but a headache!!
By Woodstock36

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It will get you out of just about anything weather wise. Very expensive to fix, called land rover dealer $125.00 an hour for labor, not to mention the parts. It's a great SUV if you have tons of money to sink into it. 56,000 miles, both back windows are broke, keep falling down, back door closed, never to reopen, screaming belt, hanging muffler, now to top it off, its overheating, after sitting just a few min. In 40 degree weather. I have found this situation disheartening, that they would make such a nicely designed vehicle but such poor quality. I have had many vehicles, and have never had so many things go wrong like this, I would expect these things with 100,000 miles on it, maybe even more

Favorite Features

Capability in the winter weather, handled better than my 4x4 truck, the tight steering, and the ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

Land rover seriously needs to make a more quality vehicle. Only way I would ever purchase another one, it would have to have a full blanket warranty, then I would get rid of it after expiration.

Mine is ok
By azetterm1

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After reading a lot of negative reviews on-line about the Freelander I decided to purchase one anyway, figuring that most people that wright reviews do so because they have had a problem. I was right, I have had my Land Rover for 6 months now with no problems except a dead battery, which is normal after 6 years. I checked the carfax report before I purchased the vehicle and there were no issues in the past. Some common problems that I read online were brake issues, thou I have not had any problems I upgraded the brakes anyway just to be on the safe side. Brakes warp because of heat, so I added slotted brake rotors which improve ventilation and ceramic pads which create less heat and dust.

Favorite Features

Looks nice, fun to drive, and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

More space inside.

JUNK!
By David Nadeau

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

2 days after purchase, check engine light on..return to dealer..Needs new motor...common for this model..Ford Warranty ESP kicks in..$9600.00 for a new motor! Then Differential goes..now right front axle is gone...all covered under warranty...but it has spent more time in the shop then in my garage...Can't wait to get it back so I can trade the piece of junk!

My Land Rover is a paper wieght
By Lo Lo

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 42 thousand miles my engine needed to be replaced. 2 thousand miles after the warrenty was ended. I looked on line and found this to be a cronic problem. Several webite dedicated to Freelander that were lemons sonme had replaced the engine 2 or three times. All my service was done at the dealership. After the engine was replaced the car overheated again. The dealership said the headbolts needed to tightened (can't belive they had the nerve to tell me that)...I am scared to drive this car.. Do some research .. dont buy one

Favorite Features

None