2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Freelander: the right sized SUV
By Placebo on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Freelander is a unique, fun to drive, premium small SUV. I like to think that it's the perfect size -- just big enough to haul my gear around, but not as huge as some of the other small to mid SUVs. It looks great, and there are few of them around so I don't see myself coming and going. Road holding is very car like. The interior is comfortable, if a bit spartan. Back seat room is exellent and comfortable. LATCH access for the baby seat is great. Since this is the last of the current body style, the dealers are dealing, so if you want the base model S (which goes away next year), get to your dealer today to check it out.

2003 Freelander S
By skier24060 on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Fun truck. Fuel economy is poor. Fun to drive though. Very solid feel.

DISAPPOINTED BUYER
By KRISTY on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I BOUGHT MY FREELANDER IN FEB. 2003 WITH 5 MILES ON IT. SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD IT IN THE SHOP FOR THE MIRRORS FLAKING, ASH TRAY BROKE (TOOK 4 TIMES TO GET THAT RIGHT), WINDSHIELD WAS DEFECTIVE, SUNROOF HAS BROKEN TWICE (ONCE ON EACH SIDE), FRONT PASSENGER WINDOW REGULATOR BROKE, BACK PASSENGER WINDOW REGULATOR ALSO BROKE, AND THE MAIN COMPLAINT I HAVE IS THAT THE AIR CONDITIONER IS SO LOUD ON HIGH SPEED THAT YOU CAN'T HEAR OTHER PEOPLE TALKING IN THE CAR AND IT DOES NOT COOL EFFICIENTLY.

Not a good choice!
By Mandana on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the car for 11 months and it had to be taken in 5 times with various warranty issues. The front window raddles, the airconditioning unit control is not accurate, the car died on the road during the 2nd month of purchase. in 11 months, it cost me $650 on break change...It is by far the worse car I have ever had.

freelander
By lb3319 on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I feel safe in this vehicle, esp with my children. I like the wider wheel base, the reinforced side passenger doors, dual airbags. What I really like is the rear passengers sit up higher than the front for safety purposes. The body design is simple but sporty. Easy to drive and park. The real challenge will be this winter to be able to drive in the snow.

You haven't lived until you own a LAnd R
By Nancy M on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have LOVED this little SUV. It is dependable and fun to drive. I also own a 2002 Mercedes and like driving my Land Rover just as much. If anyone is thinking about buying a Land Rover Freelander, you won't be disappointed. They have all the bells and whistles and I haven't had any problems to date. I purchased it from a Salesman named Kevin in Asheville, NC. Dealing with Land Rover in Asheville and Kevin was a pleasant dealing. You haven't lived until you own a LAnd Rover! :-)

New Land Rover owner
By NewRoverOwner on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have always like the Land Rovers but could not accept the 12-14 MPG of the larger Discovery or Range Rover. The Freelander fit my needs with many of the features I would expect from a Land Rover. Was surprised it lacked several features listed below in the "Suggested Improvement" section. Great car so far. Also had a great experience with the dealership sales staff.

U can tell that BMW helped Design SE3
By CJR on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Originally my wife and I wanted to get a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. But we test drove a SE3 and feel in love with handling and options that aren't available on the Jeep. Our dealership even has a offroading event three times a year to put the SE3 to test. The European Handling and tight steering is is also a nice feature. You can tell that BMW had something to do with the design of this vehicle.

Still Wondering
By still wondering on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I sure do like the looks, feel and design. It drives well, it feels rock solid, but... It has 9000 miles, it's on its third sunroof, it has a leak when it rains down by the gas pedal, two a/c vents have fallen apart in my hand as I adjusted them and the adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat simply snapped and broke while I was driving along (I'm not a big guy). The dealer's been great about fixing the problems, but -- call me crazy -- I don't believe it should have these problems.

fun but not reliable
By r-a-m-a on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

not very reliable when it comes to functional items but very good offroading and comfort.