2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
BRITS REVENGE FOR THE REVOLUTION
By R H B on 02/22/06 20:46 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got this vehicle for a good price but I still kick myself for not buying a CRV. The sunroof was replaced twice, brakes were replaced twice, and now the transmission is gone, BUT we have an extended warranty. One note on the front brakes, I am trying the Powerstop brakes and rotors, and I'm hoping that will fix that problem. Overall Land Rover of Albuquerque has treated me good, and honored all warranty work. Land Rover of Albuquerque also helped out with a rental, but it's sad when my wife thinks a Pontiac Vibe is better then the Land Rover....

I regret buying this car
By Nela Alvarez-Sotomay on 02/13/06 08:36 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I always wonder if it's going to work when I start it. Things that have gone wrong with this vehicle are: New Brakes (twice @ $800), Wipers, Air Bags, Fuel line, Radio

Fun Car with Some Issues
By egullsfan on 01/19/06 22:26 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this Freelander almost a year and I love it. It is fun to drive, great in snow and mud, and doesn't look like every other small SUV. It is not as reliable as say a CRV (my wife's car) though. We have had no problems with the brakes so far (I put 10K since buying it used). The parts replaced so far though (under warranty at no cost) have been the rear window switch, driver's door lock, thermostat, coolant reservoir. Without a warranty that is $1200 worth of work. I like the fact that this SUV is faster and more fun than our CRV, but the gas mileage pales in comparison (I get 18-20). When the extended warranty runs out, I'll sell this car. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy.

Land Rover Freelander - Nightmare...
By DrHudson on 01/18/06 15:52 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car, but I know the service department employees by name. There has been nothing but trouble with this car since the day I bought it. The cooling system has broken 4 times. The F4 F4 F4 Transmission error has recently appeared and the dealership is quoting over $7,000.00 to repair. I have spent over $15,000.00 in repairs on the vehicle and there is no end in sight as to repairs that are still to come. The average repair done by the dealership cost upwards of $500.00. I have never got out of the dealership with a bill less than $500.00 and that was for replacing a small coolant hose that one day just exploded into several hundred pieces. I have basically rebuilt the cooling system

landrover freelander
By lauri on 01/07/06 13:34 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

very expensive to service and maintain. axles are gone @ 75,000 miles, have replaced radio three times, replaced the entire fan unit and sensors at 72 K miles ($1100.00) rotors and pads will be replaced every 20 K miles, but they won't tell you that at the dealership. Service maintenance is time consuming and expensive.

Do Not Buy a Freelander
By schpank on 01/02/06 11:16 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Worst vehicle I've ever had. Bloated dealer service, brakes need replacing every 10k miles ($400 if dealer does it), uncomfortable seats unless you are 5'1", no real S or U in an SUV. I've owned Honda CRV, Audi A4, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Truck and Hyundai Excel - all were far better than this. This the worst vehicle mistake I hope to ever make. Buy something else!

Nice little ride
By devynsdad on 08/27/05 16:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2002 Freelander for about a year and a half before we had a third child and traded up to a Discovery. In the time I had it I had one problem with the coolant hose popping, but I was just pulling into my driveway when it happened, so no biggy. We made three 1000+ mile roundtrips in the Freelander, and had no problems at all. In a sea of Escapes, Libertys' Rav4s and CRVs the Freelander is a very sweet little alternative. Plus Land Rover dealerships treat everyone so much better than other makes it's amazing.

Worst Car Ever Built
By MPakdaman on 06/07/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2002 HSE Freelander and hope to never own another Land Rover ever again. I have had this vehicle for less than a year and it has been the worst car I have ever owned. The vehicle has been in the shop 7 times in 9 months and the transmission was rebuilt completely. How can a car with 33,000 miles ever have transmission problems. The service engine light comes on pretty much every month and the techs at LandRover never seem to understand why. After my transmission issue...I had the same problem within a week period....isn't it amazing.

Do not waste your money on a Freelander!
By Jennifer on 05/17/05 12:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the owner of a 2002 s Freelander. I have had nothing but problems. We had to have the windshield replaced, the passenger window fixed and just recently needed the transmission replaced. We are lucky for the fact that we purchased the extended warranty. Our dealership has also been terrible to deal with. If you do purchase a freelander, please buy the extended warranty, trust me you will need it.

Happy with my 2002 Freelander
By Burn2 on 03/24/05 11:01 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a loaner vehicle with 9,000 miles, so expected some minor cosmetic problems - only thing was the dash-mounted drink holder; replaced, no problem. Now have put 20,000 miles on vehicle and only problem I've had was the transmission, replaced under warranty. Amusing since this is a BMW-sourced item, and not a Land Rover part. Other than that no reliability issues. The dealer (North Point, Alpharetta) has been very good, no complaints with their service. Gas mileage is as expected, 17 mpg all city driving. In the real world the power is just fine for merge into highway traffic, take left turns on busy roads etc. Feels solid without typical SUV porkiness, comfortable ride.