2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Land-rover Discovery-series-ii - Consumer Reviews

2000 Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (79 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Steer Clear of this Vehicle
By martin303

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, this purchase was the worst decision of my life. Bought this car for ecological work and needed towing capacity. After 3 years, I have never used this vehicle for it's intended purpose. Before I drove it home the first time the water pump went out. The second time the drive shaft fell off. Apparently, this is 'common' on LR. Everything has unusual engineering making repairs both extensive and extremely expensive. Tires are even outrageous. Though I validated this vehicle had a newer engine in it, virtually everything else has fallen apart. HORRIBLE mileage. Only put about 10K miles on it due to issues. Drove my Ford Explorer about 40K / yr for work...

Favorite Features

Looks good = seat warmers, passed emissions, great in snow if tires ok, won't rust because it's always in the shop.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, everything mechanical

A Matter of Perspective
By tannert

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Our 2000 Discovery was purchased used from a man who did not take good car of it, and was not truthful of it's previous life, so it's been rough going. Nice easy to clean leather with comfortable seats. The second row is nice. You can carry adults, but not fitting for long car rides. and their knees will be rubbing a little bit. The third row can seat children.

Favorite Features

If you're looking for a secondhand SUV that makes you feel like a million bucks, this is it. Range Rovers are too plush for these model years. The Discovery kept it rugged. An amazing driving position and many creature comforts with heated front seats, dual zone climate control, two sunroofs.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine design. Bosch rebuilt a solid Buick V8, and fussed it up a bit. Currently the engine is ripped apart in the midst of a head gasket repair, and impromptu engine gasket overhaul. Will end up costing around $400 in parts, but no labor as I'm doing it myself. Get yourself a good metric socket set and read, read, read the repair manuals. MORE POWER! Seriously lacking in acceleration, this vehicle weighs way too much. Maybe an aftermarket supercharger?

Here's Hopeing
By qwackhead

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I've actually got one of these and have done so quite recently as I had traded a car which were surplus to my needs plus cash for something more practable as well as to tow my boat in future one I have finished on some current out of water maintanace The nievaty of such of deal to begin with was one that included approximately a 1500 km round road trip just to aquire as I live in New Zealand and drove from Auckland to Wellington and Back and done so with in 24hrs Being a V8 in comparision to the V6 Diamante© sedan I had traded the previously anticipated gas mileage were up there unlike the performance of the engine itself which we're an embarresment to say the least to be even called such.

Favorite Features

Is nice to drive however haven't taken off road just yet and am not really sure I would want to without a winch and maybe some jacked up suspension and some real bull bars to attach the winch too unlike the cosmetic factory fake one my one has which is only good for attaching spot lights to which has a label on the underside stating that it more or less is no good for nothing which I only found out later after sealing the deal back in Auckland which were actually part of the reason doing so in the first place As long as this beast forefills its purpose and tows my boat without a hitch Ill be happy which I have herd should do without a hitch I'm yet to be impressed hence my medioaka review

Suggested Improvements

More grunt less gas I've driven an old 350 chev which had better mileage with at least twice the grunt But what is done is done which now can only be learned from in future Besides I've only had for little while and is not my primary vehicle so will not be using all the time so hopefully maybe impressed with time I had herd previously however that parts as well as servicing for these aren't cheap should anything major mechanically go wrong so would recommend paying extra for mechanical insurance cover for as long as you intend on keeping such a vehicle as I had prior to trade and purchase taken out for piece of mind to sort any such worries in future

Like nothing else, blows asian and domestic cars away
By mwahlgren7

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

People will claim that the discovery was the worst car ever because a light came on the dashboard, or that brakes had to be replaced. Many of the things that could go wrong with a discovery have to do with the driver's negligence or driving style. I have taken care of my disco and she has taken care of me. Driving position and view like no other vehicle, fantastic in the snow, and looks good to boot. Dual sunroofs still entertain me to this day and the sound system is really nice. Aside from a plastic t piece in the cooling system braking, nothing has gone wrong. Feels utterly solid when driving, very heavy and reassuring. Makes my dad's tacoma feel like a dishwasher.

Favorite Features

-Exterior -Ride -Visibility -Quality

Suggested Improvements

Would've been great to see a diesel

Eat Sleep Rover
By Best4x4xFar

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I got my rover from my parents as my first car. When we first got it we had several repairs that would require fixing. Lucky we were part of a Land Rover Club (which I recommend for all Land Rover owners to find) so we got the parts cheaper and installed by members for no charge. So all I can say is just be ready to work on the Disco if you get one but it is worth it.

Favorite Features

The sound system is awesome all but the bass in the back are stock and running find. The OFF-ROADING!

Suggested Improvements

Redo the ABS system because it does give problems. Also the 6-CD changer could be in a better spot beside underneath the front-passengers seat.

A real SUV, not a metro...
By Jindodog

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned 5 rovers now over the last 15 years, a Land Rover first, a series II, a Discovery, a Land Rover Contry and now this Discovery II. Mind you my first car was a Triumph TR6 back in 1977, so I "get" the British car thing. That being said, compaired to a boat, these Rovers are great. With an ocean going boat (long range, non coastal) you expect to have "issues". But you also expect it to be well found and basicly capable of what it was intended to do. That is what Rovers are all about. Expect persnickty problems but know that you are driving a world class very capable machine. This car can bail you out of many tough conditions, they truly are amazing in their capabilities!

Favorite Features

They get the job done, they are stone cold reliable in the worst conditions. Not in the "posh" department but in the function side.

Suggested Improvements

More power, less fuel burned and solve all of the rest of the worlds problems. But in the real world, this truck is great as long as you can do the needed maintanance yourself.

Avoid at all costs
By John_Galt

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I've spent much more than this car is worth in the last 2 years. Sensors that don't fix the issues with a dealer that doesn't have a clue, gaskets, oil leaks, stereo, and other glitches too numerous to mention.

I LOVE my Disco!
By DiscoDude84

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have had this vehicle for 5 months now, and it has been nothing but a joy! Fits me perfectly, very reliable, interior design is amazing, can fit plenty of stuff into the cargo area. Plenty of head/leg room. Recently replaced head gaskets for preventative maintenance. Replaced U-joint as it was going bad, and spark plugs, and thats about it. Wonderful in snow and ice, actually have taken to helping tow other people out of ditches! As long as the Disco is maintained properly and synthetic oil and premium gasoline is used its an amazing SUV. Dual sunroofs are an added bonus. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

Favorite Features

Dual sunroofs, amazing 4X4 capability, amazing interior design

Suggested Improvements

Not much pick up and go, fuel economy

**TAKE MY ADVICE: DO NOT BUY**
By CWALL

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

absolutely horrible car! very unreliable. Bought it off a guy 5 months ago and now everything went wrong with it. The radiator blew which lead to waaay more problems. Total cost of repairs cost more then the car is worth. It is horrible, I mean HORRIBLE on gas! I barely drive 8 miles to work and I have to put gas in it everytime. Please don't make the mistake I made and buy one! Land Rover stinks!

Favorite Features

the interior is leather and comfy. there are 2 sunroofs. thats about it!

Suggested Improvements

Uh, Everything.

What a tragedy...
By twelveboy

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Well where should I start... I bought the Land Rover at 85K miles, drove it to about 110K miles and then decided to trade it in after about $6000 of repairs to the hydraulic shocks, and other things I cannot remember due to the horrible memories being blocked from my memory that are just too painful to think about. The car was tremendous fun for off roading, but please do not buy unless you work in the medical field or a CEO.

Favorite Features

Ability to go anywhere on the face of the planet. Wonderful interior/exterior design!

Suggested Improvements

Get only the springs NOT the hydraulics! Plan on getting only 11-13mpg on premium gas and a twelve-second 0-60!