Used 2004 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Most Helpful|
Please Buyer Beware
By ambeaubian

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I foolishly purchased a 2004 Kia Sorento EX, in 2009, to date I have replaced the following, Crankshaft, rings, bearings, head qasket, radiator, oil pump. At a tune of 5300.00, at that time is how much I owed to pay it off. I now have a burning smell and smoke every morning that I drive it..No mechanic knows why it occurs, Also have the lights to be replaced rear and front, at least 6 times, my dash lights do not come on at all. Then the paint is chipping off of the hood. If the car stays running, its semi-reliable . If there is another two grand I have to put in this car. I will be buying a new one...A Ford.

Favorite Features

If It will work, Its alright vehicle to drive. Its comfortable to a point.

Suggested Improvements

Kia needs to recall these SUV's for the electrical issues period. There should be no reason, that replacing Batteries, lights, wiring issues should not occur this frequently. The sensors all of the issues that other KIA owners are complaining about.

FUEL MILEAGE 20+
By harleydad87

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased an 04 Sorento EX w/ 105k on it. After reading about fuel mileage, we almost took our other vehicle on our day trip Saturday. 309 miles, mostly highway, cruise control at 75, w/ several stops, I still managed to get 20.5 mpgs. So, while 2 mpgs aren't much, I am sure that I could have got 22-23 had I kept speed at 65-70. Way better then the 18 from review.

caveat emptor
By mhuntz

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

don't be fooled by the "rating" for this vehicle. most posts prior to 2007 are positive. after that, a precipitous fall off in satisfaction. intoxication from "new car smell', "i love you's" and chocolates (in the form of warranty promises from Kia) subside. after the romance, sobriety sets in. the love in the relationship gets tested. and when the $$$ strain hits the relationship, your lover (Kia) tells you to no longer believe in their commitment to the relationship. ("sorry about misleading you" , they exclaim, as they refuse to honor their vows (warranty coverage). Best get a divorce from this loser. Hope you had a pre-nup.

Favorite Features

The ones that still operate.

Suggested Improvements

reimburse the hard-working people you've fraudulently duped.

Please Recall This Junk
By sniper_munkee

2004 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So two months after I purchased this used no warranty they told us it'd take over 4000 to fix so it's been sitting in my backyard for the last three years. Still making payments on it.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Recall the pos so that we can get something different.

Truly a comfortable, spacious and practical SUV!!
By kandeemann2001

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Sorento EX Luxury from a private seller with 75,000 miles. Vehicle was in immaculate condition, but was plagued with issues in the beginning. Had to replace the drive shaft, throttle position sensor, spark plugs and brakes - but after all repairs were done and a thorough fuel injection cleaning service, it drives like brand new. This is truly a remarkable SUV. I'm a law student and wanted a comfortable vehicle to last me for a few years, and even though I had those repair issues, I have no regrets. It's good-looking, spacious, super comfortable and has more than enough power. Shifts are buttery smooth and engine performance is really impressive for an 8 year old vehicle.

Favorite Features

I love all the luxury features! I only paid $6000, but got heated leather seats, a sunroof, 6-disc 10-speaker surround sound system and 4WD. Mine is black with the beige cladding and it looks BEAUTIFUL! Parked next to an '08 Highlander today, and it looked just as big and just as good. Gas mileage is respectable, 18 MPG average, since I have a really light foot. The heated seats are SUPER nice for these winter temperatures. A/C is ice cold and heater is blazing hot. LOTS of torque on the bottom end, so quick and swift acceleration. Sunroof is huge and makes the cabin feel very open and airy. Highway cruising is amazing. I'm very happy and look forward to driving this SUV for many years.

Suggested Improvements

Kia has come a long way, so I have no suggestions. Mechanical integrity is certainly an issue with these early year-models, but otherwise, I'm very pleased. The suspension provides a very comfortable and controlled ride quality - bumps and potholes are swallowed up quite well. Sound system is really great and has good channel separation. I especially love how ROOMY this vehicle is! It drives like a smaller SUV, but it has acres of space inside. Controls are very simple and easy-to-use, which I really appreciate. I just LOVE the woodgrain throughout the dashboard and cabin. The design is still really good-looking and this Sorento holds it's own amongst all the newer SUV's on the road today.