2012 Kia Optima Consumer Review: Very Impressive

2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Review

Very Impressive
By bambino3 on

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had this car for just over 3 months. After owning many VWs and Audis, I was in the market for a new Audi when I read reviews on the Optima and decided to at least have a close look and test drive. To be honest, I felt this car looked better overall than the Audi A4. Sleeker lines end to end. I know that's a personal judgment, but that was how I saw it. Next, I looked closely at the interior and features offered in the SX (to me, a turbo charged engine is a necessary performance feature). The interior, while not quite as plush as an Audi A4, was extremely nice. Leather, very stylish dash and trim. Finally, I drove the car and was very impressed with the ride and performance.

Favorite Features

Exceptionally good value. Thousands of $ less than a comparably equipped Audi A4. Outstanding array of features for the money, including panoramic moonroof, heated front AND rear seats, push button start, HID headlights, awesome nav and entertainment, voice control, bluetooth, media interface, heated AND cooled front seats, infinity stereo, homelink, automatic with paddle shift manual mode, if desired, etc. Best yet, great power and great fuel economy for a 2.0 turbo (avg 30+ mpg under all conditions). Best factory warranty available. Zero issues thus far.

Suggested Improvements

At speed, a bit more wind noise from the side rear view mirrors than would be expected. Some road noise from either the Hankook tires or perhaps less sound insulation than some other cars (this is very dependent on the road surface). The woofer embedded in the rear shelf vibrates when the bass is increased. I think the shelf is too thin to provide a solid platform for the woofer when bass is increased.