1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Good for short commutes..and that is all
By sactownguy on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought the car for short commutes around town. Ended up using as a workhorse. MPG is ~15 so that is brutal. Had numerous problems such as axle leaks, brake issues, transfer case replaced, and faulty electrical system for dashboard. Taken this puppy in to the shop at least 6-8 times and paid the piper. I only recommend this as a 2nd vehicle used for 4-wheeling or taking the top off and cruising around. All in all, not a very practical vehicle

Love my Jeep
By snopro on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

My nuddy had a 92 wrangler back in the day and we had a ball in that jeep. I always remembered the good times we ahd in it. I finally bought my jeep used from a dealer. It had 39k on it and it looked like it was taken care of. I have never driven anything that is so much fun. I will have this jeep for a super long time. If I had to get something different it going to be a new jeep without a doubt.

jeep
By Celty on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Wrangler soft tops are lighter than most SUV's,handling could be better in 2wheel drive but great in 4. The smaller tires have better traction for city driving.Top replacement is every 4 years,orig colors are not always available.After market products can dress a jeep up nicely.The body and paint started to get rust speckles immediately after purchace.I've had NO mechanical problems.The top seals nicely(when new) it's very warm in the winter,the heater is great.The zipper/sliders windows are hard to use in 1/2 doors.For it's size it's a gas hog. The top is VERY hard to take up. Highway travel is very noisy.

6 Years with a 1998 Wrangler Sport
By Jeepmanchuck on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I took delivery of my special order Wrangler Sport in January 1998. The combination of a 6 cyl., auto., and 3.73 rear axle gets you 15-16 mpg. Adding the K&N induction system has improved gas mileage to 18 mpg. The factory sound system is limited. Adding the Jeep subwoofer system has helped. Interior and highway ride quality is good. However, off-road is where this vehicle rules! I recommend the factory limited-slip rear axle for off-road driving, and the full steel doors to lower int. noise levels. For a second vehicle that will see limited use, it dosen't get any better - a convertible with great off-road capabilities from the factory.

Sooo happy!
By bigpoppaxxl on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

It is a lot of fun but be prepared to pay the piper when going to the gas station or getting your insurance bill.

Don't Do It!!!
By PoorMe on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

2nd transmission in 2 years

Wrangler Sport review
By Daedalus on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoy this vehicle. It's roomy (I'm 6'4"), fast (but get the stick-shift), suprisingly warm in the winter even with only a soft top, and will go virtually anywhere. The gas milage is not great (avg. 15 mpg), but not as bad as my Durango!! I'm pleased I bought the full-doors option with glass windows as the soft top is noisy at highway speeds.

Unstoppable, Rugged, Stylish, and FUN!
By mrmoon04 on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

The Wrangler is an amazing off-road vehicle- by far the most capable of the Jeep family. I live in Wisconsin on a ranch and it gets me through some wicked bad snow and mud. Mine does have the I-4 2.5 Liter and I DO NOT think it's underpowered, especially with a manual tranny. And I can get 20 mpg if I'm careful. I would only reccommend a manual in any Wrangler. I have no problem maintaining my freeway speed. Yes, its noisy, but its a Wrangler, not a Grand Cherokee. It'll kick a Cherokee's butt off-road. You get used to the wind noise. I absolutely love my Wrangler.

FUN AND VERSATILE
By Archaeologist on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

THE JEEP BEGAN AS A MILITARY VEHICLE AND HAS NOT LOST ITS OFFROAD ABILITY THROUGH OUT THE YEARS. THE REMOVABLE TOP COUPLED WITH THE 4WD CAPABILITY MAKES IT A VERY VERSATILE RIG.

No regrets
By morrisdg on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

A convertible for people who still want a rugged feel, who still want to be able to go anywhere. An SUV for people who don't need to compensate for shortcomings elsewhere. A fun car that still has a few practical uses. Friends may not be willing to buy one themselves, but they'll all want to ride in it. Life is better with a Jeep.