Used 1998 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Chris from Philadelphia
By Chris V

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep 4 years ago. Replaced the cat. converter 3 times. Replaced radiator. Constantly tightening belt. Without an automatic tensioner it squeaks about every 2,000 miles with the AC or defroster on. Getting kinda tired of the rattling of the cat converter. Unfortunatly I do not come under the recall they issued for that.

!ow you dont know what your missing!
By keydriver33

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

i see people complaining about this or that, it's a Jeep thing is right. I've owned several and sure it takes cash to keep them running right,but look at what your getting out of it. I 4-wheel a lot, almost every weekend and I gotta say I always make it back when others don't. My favorite saying as I'm passing them is "you wouldnt be stuck if you bought a Jeep". Thanks for your time and lets get out there and have fun in a jeep.

Favorite Features

4x4 nothing beats it

Suggested Improvements

V8 6-speed

Not a commuter vehicle
By Jim

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Wrangler used with 76,000 miles on it. It has a soft top, 3 inch lift and 31" Mickey Thompson tires. Looks great. The 4 cylinder has no power and with the automatic tranny and big tires the fuel economy is a horrendous 12 MPG. I bought it as a toy to off road in but need to use it as a commuter for about a month while my other car is in the body shop. I travel 120 miles round trip to work and I have had to fill it daily to the tune of about 40 bucks a pop. Fun to drive but don't use it for anything but a toy or you'll be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Looks, lift/big tires, off road capability.

Suggested Improvements

Come on guy's, 12 MPG for a 4 cylinder?

very nice vehicle
By josh

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Wrangler. It is very fun to drive year round. The gas and performance on mine is very low. I put a lift kit and big tires on mine. This caused the gas to drop to about 11mpg and the get up speed is slow (even though I have a six cylinder). Other than that it has been the best car I have ever owned. I would recommend this to people without children because of the lack of room in the back. Off-roading is where it does great. It climbs great and it goes through some serious mud/water. I have had many a truck that could not off-road as good as this. It looks great also. Top speed is LOW. Mine tops out at a whopping 84mph. It is also very easy to park.

Favorite Features

Looks. Parking. Off-roading. Convertible. Jeep wave.

Suggested Improvements

Gas. Bigger engine. That's it.

Fun in the Sun
By Vlad

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought a Jeep 2 years ago in Philly where lived. I love to put my soft top down in the summer months, love to drive in the snow - its so much fun. Recently i have moved to Miami, and now i can have my soft top down all year round because it's always nice weather here. Recently I drove my Jeep with the top down on the sand on the beach; it was so much fun. If you live near the beach, try it you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Top down. Big tires, sound that the Jeep makes, love the stick shift, the aftermarket stereo with Infinity speakers and a subwoofer. And just the way the Jeep Wrangler LOOKS.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and that's it.