1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews 8

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Good and Bad
By Charlie Brown on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

For the most part I love my jeep. However, I bought it with about 78,000 miles and got to about 100K before starting to have problem after problem. All my issues center around the serpentine belt...we've replace every motor or compressor attached to it as well as the tensioner arm (too many times to count). We've also had to replace the CV joints and boots on both sides. I think it's a bad design and that's why so many of us have had to replace items working off the serpentine belt. We get one thing fixed that's attached to the serpentine belt and then something else on the belt needs to be fixed...sigh...

Finally Give Up
By Jeep24Rnr on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

82000 miles. Since new have replaced: rear axel vent (twice); PW motor; Intake MANIFOLD gasket; Tranny Cooler line (leak); Peeling dr panels; leaky AC Accumulator line; Wtr Pump; Oil Sensor Sending unit (twice); CV boots; Now tranny starts slipping due to bad clutch seal(wanted to fix) but transfer case starts to leak. Had eeeeeenough! traded in for a 4runner. Did rigorous maintenance, all by my self except tran fluid including wtr pump. Overall, I see DC has a good product design team, but there is no body puting the product together, and had zero quality control. "The Jeep Thing" can only go so far. Sure, "There is Only One", it perfectly described my feeling, plus "ONCE is enough"!!

Never again!!!
By formerjeepowner on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this Jeep shortly after college with 78,000. The car ran wonderfully for another 15,000 miles but then the problems started happening and they never really stopped for 5 years. First it was the transmission which cost $1800 just to fix the clutches. Then the water pump, the alternator, the battery, the fuel pump, O2 sensor, gear shift panel broke, the ignition casing went faulty and then finally the radiator went bad and I had enough. I did not fix it I just donated the vehicle to a local charity. I will never buy a Jeep again and I will never buy an American car again. I gave it a chance and it failed me miserably.

old reliable
By Jsannes on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep used with 98,000 miles on it (4.0L six, 4x4). It had an oil pan leak, had no radio, needed tires, and had a crack in the exhaust. Once those items were addressed, I have to say that this Jeep is more comfortable and easy to drive than the 1992 Cherokee that I had before. My average gas mileage is 18.5, it doesn't burn any oil, and it always starts. The 4 coil suspension makes driving around town and long distance very comfortable on my back.

sweet car
By mister jeep on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this car for almost two years now and have recently reached 111,000 miles. Within these past two years, I have put a little money into keeping this thing running smooth, but I understand its a jeep, and old jeep and these things will happen. Mine has the 318 V8 which makes this thing fast and makes towing heavy trailor loads a breeze. The spare tire in the back gives me more vertical space than if it were mounted under the car, and vertical space is what I need.

GOOD YEAR
By slaughter on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I am at 99000 miles. I have the 318 V8 which is not a gas milage engine but the power is good and I tow a 5500lb travel trailer in the summer. I have replaced the brakes at 65000 and the right rear axle at 90000 also a power steering pump bolt broke at 68000. All in all I have been satisfied with my GCL. I owned two K5 Blazers and I prefer driving the Jeep. I don't know how the 2004 models are holding up so I will put another 100,000 on this one.

Love it.
By chickster on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

This car has been bullet-proof. I have had no problems and can fully rely on it to get me where I need to go comfortably. I have been told (per my mechanic) that the straight-6 2wd version of this car is in a different league than the v8 4wd, which tend to come with many more mechanical problems. Fuel economy is between 18 and 23...no complaints!!

Excellent Value
By GupDawg on 05/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

My Forest Green over Tan Cloth Laredo is a very sharp color combo. It is a 4x2(but it will go off-road) and an Inline-6. The six, while super- durable, is a bit underpowered for this heavy of a Jeep, but it can do the job. It now has 130k miles and still runs strong. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, oxygen sensor, and distributor cap and rotor myself and saved $200. But $900 for new radiator, hoses and belts from the dealer! Now it needs new brakes and the e-brake is worn completely out. But this is normal stuff for 130k, and when properly maintained, will last 200000+ miles.

Jeep 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
By Jeepin95 on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this Jeep!!!!!!

I love my Jeep Grand Cherokee
By ginger60 on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This 96 Jeep has never broken down or left me stranded, has only had general maintenance as demanded by age and is the best car I have ever owned. I will never sell it (I have had offers), it will simply wear out. Except for a couple of dings & scratches caused by other drivers, it is in excellent condition, inside and out. I love it!!I service regularly and always take it to a Jeep de